Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838451 times)

Cavist

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.991)
« Reply #10975 on: 2021-08-06 09:16:40 »
Hello

Is it possible to play it on MS Store version of FF7 for pc or is it original 98' or Steam versions only and there is no way and future plan to support windows store edition?

Holyblades1982

• View Profile
« Reply #10976 on: 2021-08-07 06:39:47 »
So I believe I have one last question here as I am almost done with everything....is there a way to fight death claw and Gi spectre after you leave their areas? I have tried the battle arena many times and they do not appear.  Trying to finish this final optional boss =/.

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: 2021-08-07 07:01:00 »
You can get back into the cave for Red's final limit break but these enemies no longer spawn in here.

Spoiler: show
its specifically the enemy in which u break the rock, didn't work on the other ones

ry6r

• View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: 2021-08-07 19:14:14 »
found out about dark cave from youtube, but i can't access it in my game?  how do i unlock it?  i'm on new threat 2.0, reach crater bottom came out back hunting for ultima weapon right now

also junon leagues ?
« Last Edit: 2021-08-07 21:20:42 by ry6r »

Holyblades1982

• View Profile
« Reply #10979 on: 2021-08-08 03:59:34 »
Yea I already broke the rock.  I guess the optional boss can be permanently missed then

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10980 on: 2021-08-08 14:58:41 »
found out about dark cave from youtube, but i can't access it in my game?  i'm on new threat 2.0

also junon leagues ?

neither of those are part of new threat v2 (at least upto v 2.0991.) 1.5 is still downloadable if wish to try dark cave side quest or the junon leagues.

ry6r

• View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: 2021-08-08 22:44:45 »
neither of those are part of new threat v2 (at least upto v 2.0991.) 1.5 is still downloadable if wish to try dark cave side quest or the junon leagues.

:(

thanks for that explanation.  that's too bad aww i got so far into end game only to found out now-

what else was in 1.5 that's not in 2.0 other than junon leagues/dark cave?  those 2 are really big attractions that got me interested i wonder why they'r not in 2.0

regardless i just wanna say 2.0 is really great, challenging enough and interesting changes to mix things up, gameplay wise so interestingly adjusted hard to see myself ever going back to vanilla
« Last Edit: 2021-08-08 22:47:49 by ry6r »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: 2021-08-09 11:43:00 »
its 2.0, in 7th heaven iro, so ok, going to wait the update

I'll see if I can get the update out during the week.

Thank you so much for this! I was able to get Aeris back and also get Tifa's limit break.  I now cannot find Aeris' 4th limit break when it says it is in the mansion.  Also Cait Sith is now named as "cloud" after I brought Aeris back.  I don't care about Cait Sith's name being messed up but really was hoping I could still get Aeris' final limit break.

If that occurred with Cait Sith then it's likely an older version of the mod; are you using the latest 2.0.991 build? During the Zack flashback, the name is changed temporarily but this turned out to cause problems so it was removed in version 2.0997.

If the Zack flashback is completed before using that debug toggle for Aeris then her Lv.4 Limit Break becomes unobtainable as the scene can't be triggered again.

I received cloud's before I "activated" aeris again using the debug guy on the ship so I am probably out of luck? no other cutscene triggers down there.  Yea I double checked and the scene will not trigger again so it looks like I am out of luck on the Great Gospel.  Sega Chief is there any way this can be patched in so we are still able to retrieve her limit break if we finish Cloud's omnislash quest before re-activating Aeris using the debug guy on the airship?

I'll have a look at it but if it's more complex than throwing some var toggles in then I'll leave it.

Hello

Is it possible to play it on MS Store version of FF7 for pc or is it original 98' or Steam versions only and there is no way and future plan to support windows store edition?

I don't own the windows store version, but I heard from someone that the files were obfuscated in some way similar to the FF8 Remaster. I'll ask around and see what the story with that version is format-wise.

:(

thanks for that explanation.  that's too bad aww i got so far into end game only to found out now-

what else was in 1.5 that's not in 2.0 other than junon leagues/dark cave?  those 2 are really big attractions that got me interested i wonder why they'r not in 2.0

regardless i just wanna say 2.0 is really great, challenging enough and interesting changes to mix things up, gameplay wise so interestingly adjusted hard to see myself ever going back to vanilla

I think they were a bit gimmicky; we already have battle square so junon leagues was just a variant of that without the reels. Dark Cave was a sidequest that got hammered together and didn't really go anywhere (a lot of the scripts for it were converted for Type B's Midgar).

Cavist

• View Profile
« Reply #10983 on: 2021-08-09 18:00:41 »
I don't own the windows store version, but I heard from someone that the files were obfuscated in some way similar to the FF8 Remaster. I'll ask around and see what the story with that version is format-wise.

Thanks for reply. That would be great if you could check if there is an easy way to apply it to the FF7 Windows Edition. I watched streams of New Threat and I want to play it but from my quick research it seems that Windows Store/MS Store version is better than Steam so I would prefer to purchase the Windows version if possible.

felipe

• View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: 2021-08-09 22:06:59 »
there is a boss called
 the calamity
which you have the option to unlock
 feed silver chocobo at the icicle area pahsana greens
to get the clues then solve.

check highwind NPC to the left of cait after point of no return for indivual missions listed.

there is no alternatives to ruby/emerald. perhaps your thinking of v1.5 where there was carmine weapon etc alongside the 'dark cave' side quests where many more 'superbosses' were to be found.  the battle mechanics are different to the original esp ruby :)

'The Curator'
is another 'superboss', which is not hidden. found outside the 
 diorama in the shinra tower

I'm scratching my head at that first one's clues.. Is there any way I can be helped solve it? Or any more hints, at all?

ry6r

• View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: 2021-08-09 22:15:38 »
oic

well thx, type B 2.0 was a blast.  there a very few games i ever played that i wish didnt end yet after finishing it, this was 1 of them, thats why i asked about the extra content
...valkyrie profile 2 and re2 remake being the others

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: 2021-08-12 06:41:42 »
any more hints, at all?

anagrams all clues can be solved that way. The one with GREY letter is as that letter is not used.

« Last Edit: 2021-08-12 07:05:43 by wdx »

AnsgarTOdinson

• View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: 2021-08-21 03:22:49 »
Hey Sega, just checkin in to see if you looked into doing a 2.0 vanilla combat?  Just curious if you confirmed it was easy enough and doable to be a thing eventually.

rosarioimpale

• View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: 2021-08-22 01:55:29 »
After playing previous versions on and off for what is somehow years now, I picked up 2.0 and am really enjoying it, but I've run into an issue where the
Weapons Blacksmith won't recognize that I have all the items listed to make the Masamune.
I have all the items, confirmed looking at my inventory, but he just repeats the recipe. Do I need to be approaching with a specific party leader or anything? I'm pre-North Crater/on Disc 3.

syamilrosham

• View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: 2021-08-22 10:13:25 »
Hi Sega Chief,
Currently I've collected 11 of 12 1/35th soldier, with the last one described in the doc as "Gold Saucer Sub Prize #5".
However I do not see it in any gold saucer prize at all, I've checked both battle square and wonder square.
I'm playing 2.0 type B.

Thanks. 

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10990 on: 2021-08-22 15:11:12 »
described in the doc as "Gold Saucer Sub Prize #5".

litterly is sub mini game prize, wondersquare :> u get a reward for each completed. with total of 5.

syamilrosham

• View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: 2021-08-23 04:44:22 »
litterly is sub mini game prize, wondersquare :> u get a reward for each completed. with total of 5.

Oooh okay now I feel stupid, I misunderstood what 'sub' means since I almost never played sub/snowboard minigame in GS.
Never know they have prizes on their own.

Thanks!

rgmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: 2021-08-25 04:13:18 »
i'd like to give a little suggestion, the battle square "champion belt" should have a buff, its expensive but its worst than the cheap power wrist, that u can buy with regular gil. Just my 2 cents.

jamineal

• View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: 2021-08-25 15:16:50 »
So this is my first B-type playthrough. I took a look at the SP upgrade screen when I hit Reactor 5. Am I in for some surprises or is there a bug in the names and number of ranks?

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: 2021-08-25 21:40:54 »
So this is my first B-type playthrough. I took a look at the SP upgrade screen when I hit Reactor 5. Am I in for some surprises or is there a bug in the names and number of ranks?

not a bug but not set in stone. things can change depending on actions that may or may not have consequences.

ckx

• View Profile
« Reply #10995 on: 2021-08-25 21:44:05 »
Thank you Sega Chief for your work on creating this mod. I think you have done an incredible job in making one of my favorite story-based games have engaging gameplay as well. It boosts FF7 up from a nostalgia fueled soft recommend to easily one of my favorite games of all time. It's hard for me to overstate how much I love this.

I do have one question, though. I must admit that the translation is not my cup of tea. This isn't due to NT's script changes (I think most of those were handled pretty well), I am simply not a huge fan of some of the character depictions and line TLs in the original FF7 localization. I am aware that you were not going for a re-translation in your work, so I am not appealing to you to do anything about this. However, I am wondering if you would be open to someone else (me) re-translating the script based on the original Japanese text?

I would do a literal, but readable translation focused on accuracy to the original Japanese script. I would base this off of NT 2.0, because I really love NT and I'd prefer to work on this over the original. It would take me some time to complete, as I have a lot going on and I'm a slow translator, but I would like to take a crack at it. I think it would be appealing to people who prefer scripts that lean less towards localization, as well as perhaps to the handful of people out there that do FF7 character analysis in the western world, as they'd have a source to reference which is closer to the original writing (I'd probably release the whole script in some plain text file too). But again I must stress, this would be mainly for people who prefer less localized TLs when actually playing.
In the process, if no one else is working on it, I'd probably also "translate" NT to Japanese, aka stick all the original FF7 lines into NT and then translate the NT-specific stuff into Japanese.

In my experience, literal translations of Japanese media are a really touchy subject to some, so I want to make a couple things extra clear: I love your work on the game, and the script, and I am not trying in any way to detract from that. The NT additions to the dialogue are fitting and appropriate given their context and I think you executed it well. Secondly, this is not my first rodeo, I come from the old fansubbing world and I've done significant work on some other game hack TLs in the past.

Anyways, I've already taken a look at some of the other translation projects for NT to different languages and I think they are cool, I would basically be mimic'ing their workflow.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention, my work would focus on New Threat Type A clearly, as it is the one with the Japanese source text to look at.

there a very few games i ever played that i wish didnt end yet after finishing it, this was 1 of them, thats why i asked about the extra content
...valkyrie profile 2 and re2 remake being the others

(hell yes, vp2 is the best game ever, man)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10996 on: 2021-08-25 23:32:52 »
Hey Sega, just checkin in to see if you looked into doing a 2.0 vanilla combat?  Just curious if you confirmed it was easy enough and doable to be a thing eventually.

Can put one together, will try to do soon.

After playing previous versions on and off for what is somehow years now, I picked up 2.0 and am really enjoying it, but I've run into an issue where the
Weapons Blacksmith won't recognize that I have all the items listed to make the Masamune.
I have all the items, confirmed looking at my inventory, but he just repeats the recipe. Do I need to be approaching with a specific party leader or anything? I'm pre-North Crater/on Disc 3.

I checked the field script and it should just be a case of talking to him while having 1x Murasame in the inventory, 1x Moonstone (from Cosmo Canyon, red xiii's room), 1x Zenogias Plate (from Costa Del Sol house), and 7x 7778 Needles from Cactuers. When the recipe is displayed, does it show you have the required number of items in the recipe's text box or are any not matching what you have in your inventory (for instance do they display 0 instead of 1)?

i'd like to give a little suggestion, the battle square "champion belt" should have a buff, its expensive but its worst than the cheap power wrist, that u can buy with regular gil. Just my 2 cents.

I'll take a look at it.

The Rank up option is supposed to be hidden until I think Costa Del Sol after clearing the Cargo Ship; I guess the Save Point in Reactor 5's underpass on the Type B playthrough doesn't have that script or something. Character names start off as Cloud/Sephiroth for Cait Sith and Vincent respectively for the flashback then get overwritten later on.

Thank you Sega Chief for your work on creating this mod. I think you have done an incredible job in making one of my favorite story-based games have engaging gameplay as well. It boosts FF7 up from a nostalgia fueled soft recommend to easily one of my favorite games of all time. It's hard for me to overstate how much I love this.

I do have one question, though. I must admit that the translation is not my cup of tea. This isn't due to NT's script changes (I think most of those were handled pretty well), I am simply not a huge fan of some of the character depictions and line TLs in the original FF7 localization. I am aware that you were not going for a re-translation in your work, so I am not appealing to you to do anything about this. However, I am wondering if you would be open to someone else (me) re-translating the script based on the original Japanese text?

I would do a literal, but readable translation focused on accuracy to the original Japanese script. I would base this off of NT 2.0, because I really love NT and I'd prefer to work on this over the original. It would take me some time to complete, as I have a lot going on and I'm a slow translator, but I would like to take a crack at it. I think it would be appealing to people who prefer scripts that lean less towards localization, as well as perhaps to the handful of people out there that do FF7 character analysis in the western world, as they'd have a source to reference which is closer to the original writing (I'd probably release the whole script in some plain text file too). But again I must stress, this would be mainly for people who prefer less localized TLs when actually playing.
In the process, if no one else is working on it, I'd probably also "translate" NT to Japanese, aka stick all the original FF7 lines into NT and then translate the NT-specific stuff into Japanese.

In my experience, literal translations of Japanese media are a really touchy subject to some, so I want to make a couple things extra clear: I love your work on the game, and the script, and I am not trying in any way to detract from that. The NT additions to the dialogue are fitting and appropriate given their context and I think you executed it well. Secondly, this is not my first rodeo, I come from the old fansubbing world and I've done significant work on some other game hack TLs in the past.

Anyways, I've already taken a look at some of the other translation projects for NT to different languages and I think they are cool, I would basically be mimic'ing their workflow.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention, my work would focus on New Threat Type A clearly, as it is the one with the Japanese source text to look at.

(hell yes, vp2 is the best game ever, man)

I think I'm supposed to be making a version of NT with The Reunion's translation work transplanted into it, but I'd personally find a literal translation from the Japanese quite interesting so if you're wanting to do that then I can offer assistance with tools or questions if needed. A Japanese version of NT would be really interesting as well, but I feel I should warn you that either project would likely be a lot of work. The game contains a lot of text and it'd be a big time commitment to see even one project like that through let alone two.

I'm not sure how things would work with getting a japanese character set into the game though, mind. There are Japanese releases for FF7 on PC (Japanese Steam has one for instance) but I've never gotten the opportunity to have a look at the files for them.

ckx

• View Profile
« Reply #10997 on: 2021-08-26 00:15:01 »
I think I'm supposed to be making a version of NT with The Reunion's translation work transplanted into it, but I'd personally find a literal translation from the Japanese quite interesting so if you're wanting to do that then I can offer assistance with tools or questions if needed. A Japanese version of NT would be really interesting as well, but I feel I should warn you that either project would likely be a lot of work. The game contains a lot of text and it'd be a big time commitment to see even one project like that through let alone two.

I'm not sure how things would work with getting a japanese character set into the game though, mind. There are Japanese releases for FF7 on PC (Japanese Steam has one for instance) but I've never gotten the opportunity to have a look at the files for them.

Ah, yeah, we'd probably run into encoding issues. Wonder how tough that'd be. Well, in any case, we can focus on the English TL for now.

Yeah, I realize this would be a lot of work, I can't 100% say whether or not I'd truly see it through until I get a feel for the workflow and get started, but I'm not a stranger to translating RPGs with massive amounts of text. It'd probably take me quite awhile, but FF7 is timeless, so even if it takes a couple years and perhaps I have to deal with NT version ups, I'd still be willing to sit down and try it.

I'd love it if you could point me to a place to get me started on text insertion, in terms of tools and perhaps any tips/recommended workflows you've developed. Getting off the ground is usually the hardest part so any assistance there would be highly appreciated; then I'd probably be in contact about stuff while I'm working on it...

Like right off the bat I'd have to ask if you can think of any novel/interesting/easy ways to implement translation notes without them being obnoxiously inserted in the middle of a dialogue box. There are a few initial thoughts I have, such as putting an indicator at the end of the line that signals "this line has a TL note"... then either pressing a special button to open new dialogue boxes, or just having an external reference PDF or whatever. Anyways I completely lack any FF7 modding experience so yeah, there's a lot to learn, but that's OK.
« Last Edit: 2021-08-26 00:33:46 by ckx »

ckx

• View Profile
« Reply #10998 on: 2021-08-26 07:01:16 »
I had a couple minutes to actually do some research, let me know if this sounds about right:

• I use Makou Reactor for most of the heavy lifting. The most absolute braindead implementation of TL notes would be to put {CHOICE} dialogue boxes asking users if they'd like to see a TL note or not, but I'm not a fan of it long-term.
  • I point Makou Reactor at flevel.lgp on a NT 2.0 patched PC installation of the game.
  • To test how stuff is working in-game I can use a Trainer of some kind, I saw Ochu 3.4 which allows saving anywhere. I haven't actually tested if this works with NT, but I'll get around to testing that tomorrow. Otherwise, do you have a recommendation for being able to save/load anywhere for testing convenience? I'm sure you've gone through it a ton... emulator save-state style functionality would be amazing.
  • I can use toughScript to dump to plain text files which I can then clean up a little for my own plain text releases / versioning.
  • For distribution, a 7th Heaven iro file is probably best.

I'm testing out Makou Reactor now with some basic naive edits and it seems to work like a charm. I'll mess with stuff a little more tomorrow.

jamineal

• View Profile
« Reply #10999 on: 2021-08-26 14:41:40 »
Okay you beautiful, sadistic cowboy. You've made random encounters so much more deadly than boss fights and I love it. Also, will I KNOW the consequences of major decisions before making them? I don't wanna... yanno... leave the gil in that kid's dresser in Midgar and suddenly I have to 360 no-scope Sephiroth with solo one materia Yuffie. (For those of you that can't discern when someone is not being serious, and there are a lot of you, that was not a serious situation that I expect.)

Secondary question, is there a good way to raise money once getting to Costa Del Sol? That Osmosis is expensive.

Thirdarary question, did the ultimate weapon passives change? Is there somewhere I can view them?
« Last Edit: 2021-08-28 21:30:46 by jamineal »