Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1087118 times)

Livesey

• View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod. v1.0.5
« Reply #1275 on: 2012-01-08 02:53:42 »
Carry Armor seemed like he had potential to be problematic, but the take-one-arm-out-at-a-time-then-go-for-the-body strategy still works perfectly fine.

Just for the lulz I had a quick look at Emerald Weapon (needless to say I died VERY quickly)... ouch. o_O

Just wait for ultima weapon, luckily he doesn't heal between bouts or I was in for a lot of trouble.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-08 03:05:10 by Livesey »

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: 2012-01-08 03:00:45 »
I'm guessing he's a lot more powerful in the actual fights than he is in Mideel then?

Also, I just beat Adamantai. Very nice battle, and I like how you made Reflect risky.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: 2012-01-08 03:02:37 »
Yeah he is, unless I was underpowered, though in mideel I only managed to hit him once lol.

EDIT: Please tell me someone else struggled with diamond. I couldn't find a reliable way to hit him so spammed dice. I have to say though, most use my Cait Sith has ever got.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-08 03:06:19 by Livesey »

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: 2012-01-08 09:07:27 »
The guys guarding Mime are freaking crazy... o_O

The solo ones are bad enough, but then two of each all together?
« Last Edit: 2012-01-08 09:17:19 by LJH »

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #1279 on: 2012-01-08 11:29:58 »
HAhaaa had you come to expect anything else with this mod?

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: 2012-01-08 12:56:07 »
I actually loved the mime fight, If I recall correctly this is one of the fights you can beat at pretty much any level provided you have a sound strategy, maybe a bit of luck too.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1281 on: 2012-01-08 13:27:52 »
I think limit breaks works well against diamond.

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: 2012-01-08 20:38:57 »
It's the intermittent Reflect on the second guy that really gets me. How it's not always there but you never know when exactly it comes back. Although I'm guessing there's some trick to this that I'd catch on to if I paid more attention? (I know you can DeBarrier it but that means you're wasting a turn whether you actually need to or not).

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: 2012-01-08 21:00:51 »
Are you talking about the second phase of the mime boss because I had no idea his reflect wore off.

Sid

« Reply #1284 on: 2012-01-09 07:17:46 »
question:

once I beat one of the random boss type dudes, can I encounter them again?

Im asking because my poison killed the beast rider guy near the condor reactor by junon before I was able to steal his item. :(

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1285 on: 2012-01-09 09:05:27 »
That is not a boss. Of course you can. Fight it as much as you want.  :)

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: 2012-01-10 05:53:49 »
Are you talking about the second phase of the mime boss because I had no idea his reflect wore off.

It does, but it also comes back. From what I can tell, it seems at the start he can reflect one spell; afterwards, he can reflect 4 each time. It regenerates on his turns.

I've taken a break from them and gone to explore the Gelnika. The Turks fight was good, but Aita is freaking insane. Shuffled my setup around a bit now that I have Yuffie's ultimate weapon (previously she was my mage). The random battles are very good here IMO.

On the note of random battles... what the hell is with the random encounters in the Mime cave? o_O They're insane... (or I'm underlevelled, not sure which)
« Last Edit: 2012-01-10 05:56:15 by LJH »

Slade

• View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: 2012-01-10 06:21:03 »
The random encounters in the materia caves are pretty much all insane.  :-P

To people fighting the Weapons- I actually found them really easy. (Aside from Emerald & Ruby, who are beasts.) It's pretty simple to make all your characters immune to the various elements Ultima throws (I think it's just hidden and earth?). Finding him over and over was by far the hardest part.

Diamond Weapon is very susceptible to limits. By the time you fight him you ought to have Omnislash and Final Heaven- hit him with both of those, plus summon one or two of the Bahamuts, and he's pretty much done for. He didn't even get the chance to hit me with Diamond Flash. I forget what level I was at when I fought him, but it wasn't a totally unreasonable one.

I've given up on the Hardcore mod for now- got frustrated upon descending into the Northern Crater and getting killed by every random encounter. One day I'll power level and be back.

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: 2012-01-11 10:32:42 »
Wait, there's encounters in all of them? I didn't run into any in the blue materia cave.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1289 on: 2012-01-12 08:50:22 »
No boss?

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: 2012-01-12 11:19:06 »
No, there was a boss (and I found it to be a very good fight) but no random encounters.

Also, in the Gelnika... is it just me, or are the Unknowns back to front? I remember Unknown 3 always being the hardest and Unknown 1 the easiest. On this, it's the other way around.

EDIT: Still can't beat the f*cking Mime boss. The HP<-->MP one was a very nice fight though, and in fact, I might actually see potential use for HP<-->MP against the Mime one.

... That f*cking Silver Dance attack is also %-based? Dude... I honestly can't see any way of beating these guys, short of powerlevelling and brute forcing them down... and I don't even know how well THAT would work. The one at a time are fine, but when there's four of them at once, potentially capable of taking out two characters and leaving the last one at 1 HP within one "round", with all their attacks being %-based meaning that no amount of raising your HP works (indeed, I dropped the HP Pluses for this fight to make healing more economical)... What am I missing? I did click to Susano'o being Wind-elemental, but that's still only a minor help...

The KOTR boss is also somewhat overkill, but at least in this case it's somewhat justified by what its guarding. Was a bit surprised to see Gravity absorbed after the other materia cave enemies being vunerable... but my biggest annoyance is how he can heal far quicker than you can dish it out. I'm guessing Shadow Flare is a must for this one? (I didn't bother to get it from the Quadra Magic boss... guess I'm waiting for Ultimate Weapon now.)
« Last Edit: 2012-01-22 14:15:43 by LJH »

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: 2012-01-23 06:36:42 »
Did Diamond Weapon and Ultimate Weapon. I have to say, they were both very good. Challenging, but not insane like some of the optional ones... (well okay, Ultimate is optional... haha)

Slade

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: 2012-01-23 10:14:47 »
Don't know if you're still having trouble with the Mime boss or not, but my strategy was to take my fastest character (in my case Yuffie) with a Mystile/Choco Feather equipped and a maxed out Speed Plus materia, and have her spam White Wind (or whatever healing spell you'd rather use) every turn. Haste & regen for everyone when it's convenient, with haste taking priority. When you get to the last part with 4 of them, focus on the back row guys, because when they get to low HP they'll start draining the front row guys and possibly kill them for you. You already know about the wind element thing. It takes a while, but it's very doable.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: 2012-01-23 17:24:41 »
No, there was a boss (and I found it to be a very good fight) but no random encounters.

Also, in the Gelnika... is it just me, or are the Unknowns back to front? I remember Unknown 3 always being the hardest and Unknown 1 the easiest. On this, it's the other way around.

EDIT: Still can't beat the f*cking Mime boss. The HP<-->MP one was a very nice fight though, and in fact, I might actually see potential use for HP<-->MP against the Mime one.

... That f*cking Silver Dance attack is also %-based? Dude... I honestly can't see any way of beating these guys, short of powerlevelling and brute forcing them down... and I don't even know how well THAT would work. The one at a time are fine, but when there's four of them at once, potentially capable of taking out two characters and leaving the last one at 1 HP within one "round", with all their attacks being %-based meaning that no amount of raising your HP works (indeed, I dropped the HP Pluses for this fight to make healing more economical)... What am I missing? I did click to Susano'o being Wind-elemental, but that's still only a minor help...

The KOTR boss is also somewhat overkill, but at least in this case it's somewhat justified by what its guarding. Was a bit surprised to see Gravity absorbed after the other materia cave enemies being vunerable... but my biggest annoyance is how he can heal far quicker than you can dish it out. I'm guessing Shadow Flare is a must for this one? (I didn't bother to get it from the Quadra Magic boss... guess I'm waiting for Ultimate Weapon now.)

With the Mime boss it's a good idea to have your characters hp end in odd numberss so it takes 3 hits instead of 2 to take out one character, also regen helps keep your health above half also making more hits for your people, quadra magic is very helpful but not neccesary. It could be argued luck based but with a sound strategy its not too hard a fight. With the right trategy you might need 1-2 restarts.

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: 2012-02-10 21:05:28 »
Ha, I'm having trouble as early as the second boss.  He kills everyone in 1-2 hits. XD

That, and the berserk-ing cats keep me from leveling very easily. <_<

It's a fun mod, though.

EDIT: Yay!! I won.  It was difficult because I only had one Restore materia and no Phoenix Downs.

Sewer boss didn't appear any harder than last time.  After the first two bosses being !hard!, I don't know if this is intentional.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-11 03:28:30 by Iecerint »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: 2012-02-11 11:14:53 »
Who likes to fight a hard boss after such a long cutscene than Corneo's? I don't think anybody likes doing so. So it was most likely intentional.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1296 on: 2012-02-11 22:04:51 »
What Vgr said. The previous cs can be very long. Then there is a boss fight you can't escape from. The random fights in the sever may be harder than the boss, but at least you can escape from them.

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: 2012-02-12 17:16:36 »
It's annoying that you can't really go back and grind anymore after you beat Bottomswell (AFAICT).  I did it because I wanted an inn, and now I need to play from an earlier save to pick up the various Enemy Skill materia and such to beat Jenova-BIRTH, who can basically kill everyone in a single round if I get unlucky.

Are there any particular goodies to EnemySkill/Steal around this time?  I'm just using FlameThrower on everyone right now, but I wonder if there's something else...

Plan for Jenova-BIRTH will be RedXIII+Yuffie with Clear Tranquil.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1298 on: 2012-02-13 09:09:27 »
Physical attacks works good against Jenova. Have cloud with as high attack as possible and equip him with the long range materia. Yuffie and Aerith are good choises for their healing limits. Have headbands on your healers to prevent stop.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: 2012-02-14 19:02:41 »
The Jenova boss was difficult.. IIRC I had cloud physically attacking without any materia and Tifa and Red both with cure > all just incase something bad happened as Gjoe has already pointed out Headband helps, also some have said getting the hp plus from the ceremony is essential but I have to tell you it's a lot easier to buy 3 from CC, I managed to do it with only 2 but wow I wish I got 3.