Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1090113 times)

Iecerint

• View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod. v1.0.5
« Reply #1300 on: 2012-02-15 02:55:33 »
I was really easy this time.  Granted, I ended up grinding to level 24 getting my early materia to level 2, but still. :P

It looks like the next thing people complain about is Dyne.  We'll see how it goes. ^^

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: 2012-02-19 09:16:56 »
One thing that would be amazing, if it were possible. Was maybe in the Ancient Forest or possibly a special event in the Battle Arena in the Golden Saucer was if there was a way to fight like, doppelgangers. Like maybe in the Ancient Forest have the Cloaked NPC's dotting the area here and there, and each one you defeat would give you the good items in the Ancient Forest. I know all of them can't do that, but they could just be there to fight them if you want or you could have them hold a nice little item or something like that. For example of what I'm talking about, you could have a doppelganger of Vincent for the Supershot ST or a doppelganger of Red XIII for the Spring Gun Clip, and holding the Typhoon Materia would be a Clouds Past Sephiroth doppelganger. I just think it would be an awesome little addition to the sub quest of Ancient Forest. I mean, if Yuffie can be a fight, is there a way to make the other characters a fight?

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #1302 on: 2012-02-19 11:50:48 »
Yes, it is possible to fight doublegangers. However, as far as I can tell, these battles are prone to glitches.
For example, fighting against Sephiroth from the Nibelheim flashback is possible.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-19 15:47:46 by NxK »

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: 2012-02-19 20:41:49 »
fighting against him IS possible? well, previously playing around with the Jenova save editor I was able to run around with 3 Clouds in my party so I thought it wouldn't be too glitchy to do the doppelgangers. but i guess having 3 clouds is different than fighting a cloud while cloud is in your party

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: 2012-02-19 21:13:44 »
Is there a way to steal or otherwise obtain a spare piece of armor in Corel prison?  Barrett's stuck with a Mythril Armlet, and I can't give him the Silver Armlet unless I can get it off of Cloud... <_<

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1305 on: 2012-02-20 10:03:13 »
@strife98
I once tried to do this. There are some problems with the animation, but I think it is doable. If I get some inspiration to work with it I'll definitely try it.

@Iecerint
Can't you just switch with cloud? I mean, equip something else with cloud then equip the silver one on barret. Or, if you're stuck, you can use a save editor to switch their equipments.

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: 2012-02-20 10:29:47 »
@strife98
I once tried to do this. There are some problems with the animation, but I think it is doable. If I get some inspiration to work with it I'll definitely try it.

That would be awesome! If you want some idea's on it I have alot, like each character have 1 summon and status attacks that would make sense with that summon (like Shiva and Slow/Stop) and maybe have each one have a certain elemental attribute that goes along with the summon that would help them in the fight (but not make it help too much possibly) I mean, it might turn Ancient Forest into more of an end game side quest than at the earliest a late game second disc side quest, but I think it would give Ancient Forest more of a mysterious feel to it and have the player feel a bit more accomplished about getting through the entire thing, cause I don't know about you, but getting through Ancient Forest is me just wanting to go get the Apocalypse and the Slash-All materia. I dunno, I just feel it should have a bit more to it, and I think Doppelgangers would be a perfect fit for it. Like a feeling of left over Ancient magic? Just a thought I mean it doesn't -have- to be in the Ancient Forest, I just figured it'd be the best spot for it. If you'd like help on it.....I know absolutely nothing about how to do it, but I'd be willing to learn =D.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-20 10:32:55 by strife98 »

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: 2012-02-20 22:48:04 »
Yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0YR_B4kXwg

Ah, yeah I can see where the animations are a bit buggy. Like when he casts magic he lays down for a split second before and still doesn't do his casting animation. Well, pretty much anything that would trigger a different animation than just standing there makes him lay down. I would figure if he can make Silver Chocobo do the chocobuckle animation for chocobo's to use Deathblow it might be possible to do the same with the doppelgangers, but then again, like I said before, it's probably completely different to have a battle against a character than it is to just change a normal monster a bit. Also, would it be possible to take the same coding for the fight with Yuffie and incorporate it into the doppelganger fights so it won't be as buggy?

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: 2012-02-20 23:33:03 »
@Iecerint
Can't you just switch with cloud? I mean, equip something else with cloud then equip the silver one on barret. Or, if you're stuck, you can use a save editor to switch their equipments.
I sold all my excess armor getting gil for a lifetime Gold Saucer pass.

I have a save I can go back to, but it's before I grinded out some limits.  It's not a big deal.

Maybe Bronze Bangles or something could be added to the bar's item list to get around this issue, if you perceive it to be one.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-20 23:39:43 by Iecerint »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1310 on: 2012-02-21 13:36:25 »
yeah, simplest way around it with least amount of cheating would simply be to add a bronze bangle to your inventory.

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: 2012-03-04 05:51:56 »
I'm just before Jenova-LIFE, but I've decided to get Omnislash during Disc 1.  However, I've never done this before, and I can't get the Gil-GP guy to appear.

Was he removed from the Hardcore mod, does he only appear later, or am I just unlucky?  What's the most efficient way to get enough GP for Omnislash this early?

Slade

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: 2012-03-04 06:30:06 »
That GP exchanger doesn't show up until after the Gold Saucer has closed down and reopened in disc 2.

It's kind of a moot point anyway, because you can only buy Omnislash with BP from the battle arena. Unless you're talking about getting the GP you'll need to run that over and over and over and over...

I'll give you the same advice I've given others (and I think gjoerulv agrees)- if you can beat the Battle Arena in hardcore mode even once, just cheat Omnislash into your inventory. You earned it.

Boooster

« Reply #1313 on: 2012-03-04 10:37:09 »
Wow - last time I played this was around 1.5 years ago and it's still going strong!  No surprise there really, as this mod is takes what a relatively easy mainstream RPG and turns into a masterpiece - kudos to the amazing job!  I think it's time that I give this another run through.

I'm also happy to see that with the new bootleg program installing mods is a piece of cake.. I remember it taking a few days of research to get the game to run properly, but from what I've seen in the tutorials this automated everything.  A few quick questions:
  • Do I need to patch to 1.02 before running bootleg?
  • If I choose the "hardcore" preset I can see that it selects this hardcore mod - does this automatically include the Aali's custom drivers, including the 9999 HP/Dmg cap removal?
  • Is Vincent a viable character to use?   I love the concept behind him, but never liked his limit breaks as you basically lose the character... this would be even worse in this mod I imagine. 

Looking forward to getting my butt kicked again :)
« Last Edit: 2012-03-04 12:57:23 by Boooster »

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: 2012-03-04 13:03:53 »
Aali's custom driver is among the mods integrated with the Bootleg process, yes.

IMO, Vincent is higher-tier for his good stats and long-range weapons, but his limits are still kind of not so great.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: 2012-03-04 13:42:16 »
If I was you I wouldn't worry so much about character viability, all the characters are viable in this mod, I'm using a team of Cloud red XIII and Tifa.

Boooster

« Reply #1316 on: 2012-03-04 18:09:49 »
Thanks for the replies - I'm coming along with teh bootleg download - tons of files to download which conveniently tells me where to find anything.  LAst time I playe was only with the hardcore mod and a few minor graphics enhancers.. this time it should look amazing!

I'm still not fully clear on whether or not to patch to 1.02 before running bootleg or if that is done automatically...  The version I have is 1.00 - should I patch beforehand?

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: 2012-03-04 22:18:46 »
I'm still not fully clear on whether or not to patch to 1.02 before running bootleg or if that is done automatically...  The version I have is 1.00 - should I patch beforehand?
My recollection is that the patch is implemented by Bootleg, but this should be clear from the files it has you download....

Try the "Easy Installation via Bootleg" thread in the FAQ section.  It should make this point clear.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1318 on: 2012-03-04 22:22:09 »
I would get 1.02.

Vincent's limit breaks are ok. Chaos works very well.

Iecerint

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: 2012-03-06 01:24:28 »
-
« Last Edit: 2012-03-06 20:03:51 by Iecerint »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1320 on: 2012-03-06 10:41:23 »
I think it means an already YAMP patched ff7.exe, not a 1.02 patched ff7.exe. I think YAMP actually requires 1.02 to work correctly but I may be wrong.

This is how you should do it from the beginning:

Install ff7 maximum/full install.
Get the 1.02 patch.
Add mods (by any means).

Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong here.

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: 2012-03-06 20:27:53 »
@Boooster:

• Final Fantasy 7, english, Maximum Install

• Start BFE.exe (Bootleg Front End) and select what you like

• Hit the big red button  > Run Bootleg <

• Now the Bootleg installer does his job (Patch 1.02, Aali's driver, mods, ...)

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: 2012-03-23 07:30:36 »
Messed around a bit in the Ancient Forest, wasn't getting very far so I continued with the story for a while. Completed Disc 2 now.

A common problem I noticed in Midgar is that enemies seemed to be very "glass cannon"-y. They can dish out insanely high damage, but they fall with very little damage themself.

Anyway, for the bosses... the Turks were pretty much the best example of the glass cannons. They pack a punch, but fall far too quickly for this to be a worry.

Proud Clod seemed to be the exception to this. He took quite a while to take down, but was practically harmless. Nothing special really.

The fight against Theo, Locke and Venus was a bit easier than their other two were, I think. Again, glass cannons.

Now, Hojo gave me a good run for my money. His first form doesn't appear to attack (except Capsule), but the samples are deadly. But, also vunerable to Sleep. One Bad Breath and you're basically free to buff up your characters, drain back some MP, then very quickly beat Hojo down. Helletic Hojo was another glass cannon - hitting me for around 13000 damage in Sadness, when I only have about 14000 HP. A torrent of 2xCut and Ultima quickly takes care of him though. Now, Lifeform was where things got interesting. It took me a while to realise his counterattack had Dispel, even longer to realise that this even extended to dispelling Resist. His MP Drain was also annoying, until I realised it could be Covered; since Yuffie is a purely physical attacker, I gave her Cover. I also had Counter Attack and Counter-Morph on her to get some counterattack damage in; eventually I let this become my primary method of offense once I realised how efficient it could be (Combo can lead to up to 8 counters). It was only once I got that idea I was able to beat him. Very nice battle.

Boooster

« Reply #1323 on: 2012-03-23 07:47:45 »
Could anyone give some advice on how to advance in the battle arena?  I've collected 3 of 4 huge materias and would very much like to get Omnislash but I can;t even get past the 3rd or 4th round most the time.  Hell, sometimes I wipe at the first with the grand horn enemies.  I have Cloud at 12k HP, lvl 63 but I can;t earn more than 40 GP per battle.  Saving 1k for the pre-emptive materia seems like a very long time, and Omnislash a near impossibility.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: 2012-03-23 18:04:12 »
Okay so this is my 5th time trying out this mod with Bootleg (keep on uninstalling kos i suck) but now i am sure i will stick to this no matter what (to help from bombing mission i gave myself 10 Hi-Potions and 5 bolt plumes + 3000gil) and won't do this anymore unless i desperately need to later on :D if you get what i mean :) this mod is awesome now when i play ff7 it just feels much more different to play and not the same thing all over again :D
so my question is if installing this mod does it automatically fix the "mdef fix"  or do i have to manually in ff7opengl.cfg set it like this
# include armor in magic defense calculation
mdef_fix = yes ?