Author Topic: [FF7PC] World Map Stuff  (Read 14095 times)

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
[FF7PC] World Map Stuff
« on: 2020-10-31 17:41:45 »
.iros download link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v3TwTuab0fdcMN-CVaMqa3R_NRT425CX/view?usp=sharing
.dds files only for manual installation (combines the world map and animations) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1io3_Bm-Iv_zyeeL-i_hTsZ8lA8rRATM-/view?usp=sharing

for The Reunion version get it along with any other mods for it in our discord channel ( https://discord.gg/ZgATfHM ) or on the website (click the globe under my avatar)

so I edited a few textures that either i thought i could improve, were glitched, or were straight up missing in Felix Leonhart's World Map (original thread: https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11542.0)  This is the world map used in The Reunion mod.

before/after screenshots (before shots come first)

Dont lie, you want YOUR Chocobo Ranch to look like THIS... don't you?  :-P

This one was very challenging, it reuses a very skinny texture a million times for the base so my course of action was to make a texture that hides tiling the best, rather than make the best mountains i could

and last one is improved shadows
« Last Edit: 2021-11-30 07:11:31 by -Ori »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
Re: [FF7PC] World Map Stuff
« Reply #1 on: 2020-11-21 21:55:59 »
everything in this post will be released in r06h (which will allow time for a further edit, if needed)

once again before/after screenshots:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now i'm going to post all the rocket textures that i know of, because i'm especially proud of this one

vanilla rocket (current rocket texture for r06g as well)

--------------------------

satsuki rocket

remako rocket

orichalcon rocket

will update this thread one more time with my world map animations, and any leftover vanilla/problem textures found

any comments or criticism is quite welcome

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #2 on: 2020-11-23 00:17:37 »
I don't see any links to download anything here .. Not sure releases is the correct place for this.

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #3 on: 2020-11-23 16:41:20 »
I don't see any links to download anything here .. Not sure releases is the correct place for this.

everything on the first post is released, everything on the second post is WIP, so its half and half  :P

figured it would be silly to make a new thread for the WIP stuff

i find it interesting that you came in here to comment about the thread placement and not anything about the images  :roll:

i'm not sure this forum is even active enough to worry about misplaced topics, you're just a troll
« Last Edit: 2020-11-23 16:51:53 by -Ori »

jusete

• https://www.paypal.me/JRGV
    • View Profile
    • Donate here
« Reply #4 on: 2020-11-23 18:58:17 »
This reminds me an old project I started long time ago 🤣

Maybe I'll take a break from project edge's and continue that one 8)

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #5 on: 2020-11-23 23:14:42 »
and i thought i was the first one to skin the chocobo ranch with the field textures...  :lol:

that kalm is amazing! its just like the field

also see you added in the shinra mansion to nibelheim

yours looks more like a full world map overhaul

while i'm trying to make all these textures look the best i can (and add some fun!), for instance, i already edited my rocket and removed those tan splotches on the launch pad...

this project is really just about finishing felix leonhart's incredible work, since no one seems to have heard
from him in a really long time

Maybe I'll take a break from project edge's and continue that one 8)

if you ask me, your (awesome) work would be better spent on something like the world map, the upscaling mods do a solid job on the fields, but as you can see from my rocket screenshots, they do a terrible job on the world map, upscales can be used as a base, but without rolling up your sleeves and doing some work an upscaled world map will always looks like crap

this is also why i'm completely redoing the map animation effects as well, the ones in syw4 and remako both stink (not trying to rag on these fellas that made those mods, if i had done all the fields i wouldnt give a crap about the world map, either)
« Last Edit: 2020-11-23 23:18:17 by -Ori »

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #6 on: 2020-11-24 07:34:03 »
The world map fx as been corrected in my v5 beta and now looks like vanilla upscaled (was related to a limitation with tim.exe texture extraction witch remove semi alpha stuff - and as remako just used my work with his upcaling...).
Only need to finalise full game's animation (same fields animation/light/fx as in vanilla but upscaled, thanks to FFNx abilities about it) from 6 fields (thanks LazAr0 too for his software) then the v5 will be released (i corrected wm fx but also done about 8 fields minor correction to be a s close a possible as vanilla game).

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #7 on: 2020-11-24 15:17:33 »
The world map fx as been corrected in my v5 beta and now looks like vanilla upscaled (was related to a limitation with tim.exe texture extraction witch remove semi alpha stuff - and as remako just used my work with his upcaling...).
Only need to finalise full game's animation (same fields animation/light/fx as in vanilla but upscaled, thanks to FFNx abilities about it) from 6 fields (thanks LazAr0 too for his software) then the v5 will be released (i corrected wm fx but also done about 8 fields minor correction to be a s close a possible as vanilla game).

nice!  IMO a well-done upscaled graphics mod will always have its place too, this is because  as soon as you start manually editing a graphic, you start losing the original art

so for all the people who just want a better looking version of the exact same game they played before, pure upscaling is the way to go

however there are drawbacks as well, like the rocket texture, animations, nibelheim mountains, etc, those textures will be almost impossible to make look good with just an upscale, because the original images are garbage

btw also while doing the map effects i saw that you did indeed did spend time cutting out the end game highwind boosts, so they wouldnt have squared edges... i stole this work  :-P

i layered your boosts over mine and erased the edges of mine to make it the same, then deleted yours
-edit: i ended up omitting this part from the mod, not because i used your clip job, just liked it better without those white circles

feel free to do the same with my rocket texture, its the reason you have those thick black lines in there (that, and for some reason this texture doesnt respond to transparency), the texture needs to be bigger
« Last Edit: 2020-11-28 07:22:35 by -Ori »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #8 on: 2020-11-26 05:03:38 »
guess i'll post a W.I.P....

world map animation comparisons:

*these comparisons arent exactly fair to satsuki, since the videos show his effects without the rest of his world map, where they actually blend in, i needed to do this so people understand what is being compared without being confused, also it seems he is updating his world map effects soon, i am using satsuki's file as a comparison because his mod is highly regarded... not to be a d$#%

------------------(should be able to play all these in browser) satsuki first, ori second
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uNT4h6HTHQ_k2fmJ30a4v_F5iIDRHZ1k/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tL0zd_j0JettOxo4OQE4LtclFq_Hw3aP/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rnj0evdoo4LE-AyYUHeKiZ5VC9SO3n0v/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11lDPTqEx12mUyGDRJqQ72uIgBGassFBx/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oXDo98X4LVen5DV_sq9cRx1VGhhmK26n/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SLaGbQphmTVH6cARdT_a7voSAfqzY71i/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tiDV5SmJ1i4Zyp00StB3ukUYVXh1A7rc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/150orCNdlE17uA8KunBOCZGcg1EI84Y_I/view?usp=sharing

someone needs to go back to 1996 and inform square that boats/subs dont route exhaust fumes into the water... those animations should be water movement only
« Last Edit: 2020-11-26 05:15:37 by -Ori »

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #9 on: 2020-11-26 07:19:15 »
Here's a sample of my v5's fields animation, 100% like vanilla but upscaled
http://yatoshicom.free.fr/v5.mp4

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #10 on: 2020-11-26 08:16:20 »
Here's a sample of my v5's fields animation, 100% like vanilla but upscaled
http://yatoshicom.free.fr/v5.mp4

very nice

you know, i reported your forest-on-foot animation as a bug a long time ago!  perhaps not a 'bug' like i thought, but i knew it wasn't supposed to look like that! glad to see it fixed

also the sub was another bad one that you completely fixed

i actually completely deleted the chocobo on land animation, was thinking about making a few patches of dirt that come up with each step but IMO looks better and less annoyance without it

so our maps and animations are completely different, yours keeps vanilla game 99% in tact, and in mine i took liberties
« Last Edit: 2020-11-26 08:19:24 by -Ori »

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2020-12-27 22:15:59 »
Go for it, those textures look good ^^

Loki_

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2020-12-29 12:23:28 »
These textures looks really nice! Would be possible a standalone release for who doesn't use Reunion? As you did for the animations. Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: 2020-12-29 12:27:59 by Loki_ »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #13 on: 2020-12-29 13:21:53 »
Nice and crispy! Very good thought to skin with the field textures! So where is this project released?

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #14 on: 2020-12-29 16:29:15 »
Go for it, those textures look good ^^

thanks!  :-D

These textures looks really nice! Would be possible a standalone release for who doesn't use Reunion? As you did for the animations. Thanks in advance :)

now that FeliX has commented with his approval, this will be coming (should i merge world map and world map animations, or keep them separate?)

Nice and crispy! Very good thought to skin with the field textures! So where is this project released?

as of right now, only the images in the original post are released (in Reunion R06g)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #15 on: 2020-12-29 17:25:23 »
Thanks bro!

Loki_

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2020-12-31 16:40:04 »
now that FeliX has commented with his approval, this will be coming (should i merge world map and world map animations, or keep them separate?)

Maybe separate would be better so everyone can choose what to use. Btw thanks for take this in consideration ;)

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #17 on: 2021-02-11 07:26:05 »
before/after

everything you see in these screenshots is now released for reunion and also for 7h in .iro format (if your game is set up to use .dds, then the .dds files will be used, otherwise the .png files will be used)

the download in the original post contains this mod bundled with the world map animations that i made specifically for this map, this is the best looking 100% complete world map for FF7  :wink:

in the future Devina and I will be redoing many of the buildings (to make look like the fields), some landscape features, and anything else that needs to be improved further, we'll keep you posted!

also, can this thread get moved to releases where it belongs? thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 2021-02-12 17:53:43 by -Ori »

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #18 on: 2021-02-23 20:53:30 »
I like it Ori! Crazy question: would that be possible to add alternatively some more locations on the world map?

And is it including Pagoda for Wutai and Shinra Mansion for Nibelheim?
« Last Edit: 2021-02-23 20:56:05 by Kuraudo. »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #19 on: 2021-02-23 23:23:00 »
I like it Ori! Crazy question: would that be possible to add alternatively some more locations on the world map?

And is it including Pagoda for Wutai and Shinra Mansion for Nibelheim?

this mod does not include pagoda or shinra mansion - i dont know how jusete did that, that requires actually editing the world map and adding that stuff whereas this mod is just textures for the vanilla world

that being said, i'm almost certain its possible because jusete showed us in this thread  ;D

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #20 on: 2021-03-11 17:05:45 »
its really starting to piss me off that this is still in WIP, when some douchebag suggested this thread get moved to WIP, it was moved the very same day, now its been weeks since this has been completed and released... yet its still here

obviously, i was right that the forum isnt active enough to worry about misplaced topics

this place needs better staff

EDIT: thank you, to whoever finally moved this
« Last Edit: 2021-03-20 19:19:53 by -Ori »

Fewtch

• All good things in time
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #21 on: 2021-03-12 15:44:11 »
I agree, although PMing a moderator might go a long way, dont know if you've tried that

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #22 on: 2021-06-30 05:02:16 »
updated this with a few textures, most importantly a bugged texture to the cave entrances

thank you to Urbanhack86 for finding and fixing this texture that i could not find for the life of me

before:

after:

edit: july 15

updated with fixed seam in the clouds

before:

after:

« Last Edit: 2021-07-15 06:24:47 by -Ori »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #23 on: 2021-08-20 07:53:34 »
some more updates, also note there is a clouds update (fixed seam) from a bit ago, i just edited it on the previous post back when i fixed that

but anyway, new in this update:
-custom maps edited from a world map mod by Kule ( https://draklor.com/files/ffvii_enhanced_overlay_world_map.7z )
     edited by replacement of each pin for accuracy; also added gongaga
     mini-map edited with spherical distortion for more accuracy
-another update in nibel mountains
-some buildings retrofitted with windows/doors
-ground texture around city of the ancients

maps:

as you can see, you can fully see the shallow water on the map, so the paths for the tiny bronco and river chocobo are all laid out, as well as having the snow properly colored in the northern continent

mini-map ^ went with no water visible for maximum sleekness, and red pins for visibility

if anyone wants to create their own map something like this, i highly recommend checking out that link from the top of this post, it has tons of options for color, opacities, even different sized map cursors, its really neat

edit: updated this with more subtle windows/doors, windows were too white, and both were drawing too much attention, so edited them to look like this now:

« Last Edit: 2021-08-24 06:15:29 by -Ori »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #24 on: 2021-11-02 06:00:36 »
pretty major update, i thought the oceans and rivers were all way too dark, so i had to recolor a lot of files

got one other fix on a cliff and i included the updated world map animations with it as well to solve the chocobo-on-snow bug and a few other things

before

after

before

after

before

after