Author Topic: Looking For a Specific Line of Text in the FF7 (PSX) Files  (Read 5788 times)

NonagonGoron

• View Profile
In the Battle Square's Arena, there is a menu that pops up after each battle asking if I want to "Keep goin'?"
I can't seem to find the text anywhere and I haven't seen anyone post as to where it is in the files.
Again, the menu says:
"Keep goin'?
 Off course!    No, way!"

I'd just like to know where it is and if it requires any special program to edit. Thanks in advance! :)

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
It's in the executable, along with many other strings related to battle arena. It's an FF7 Encoded string. This specific text starts at offset 0x51D589 in the english Steam version of the executable:

There are some tools that help you edit the text in the executable, touphScript is one of them.
« Last Edit: 2020-02-27 13:06:27 by M4v3R »

NonagonGoron

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply, but I'm talking about the PS1 ROM (Like .bin and .cue. I don't have a .iso file, though), and I don't have any .exe or PC FF7 to use touphScript.
I tried looking within the KERNEL and SCENE BIN files but couldn't find the line. Sorry :-\

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
Oh, my bad. There does exist a similar tool for PSX, though. Here it is: https://github.com/cebix/ff7tools

NonagonGoron

• View Profile
Sick! Thanks for the help. I didn't even know this program could do this, I just thought it was another basic text editor.
Good stuff. Once again, thanks!  :D
« Last Edit: 2020-03-09 01:17:08 by NonagonGoron »

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
Hi NonagonGoron,

The texts you are looking for are very easy to change, but Cebix tools are not easy to use as they work on command line only. First you need to install Python on your PC (I guess you have done that already).

Then download this pack: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zl1cNjjWEKJ-Z6HaYPeuHs8UCrARdNRr

It has everything you need except the ISO files. I recommend you to use the correct ISO files which are:

Disc 1 (SCUS-94163): 747.435.024 bytes
CRC-32: 1459cbef

Disc 2 (SCUS-94164): 732.657.408 bytes
CRC-32: a997a8cc

Disc 3 (SCUS-94165): 659.561.952 bytes
CRC-32: 1c27b277

That way everyone will be using the original game data to apply your patch. Once you have these ISO files, put them in the "iso" folder and rename the files to match this format (CUE files are mandatory):

Code: [Select]
FF7-1.bin
FF7-1.cue
FF7-2.bin
FF7-2.cue
FF7-3.bin
FF7-3.cue

After that, double-click the file "0-psxrip.bat". This will extract the contents of the ISO files.

Next step: double-click the file "1-un-trans.bat". This will extract all the texts into the "txt" folder.

Then open the "txt" folder and modify whatever you want. The texts you are looking for are located in the "battle" subfolder.

When you are done, double-click the file "2-trans.bat". This will insert the txt files into the ISO files.

Finally double-click the file "3-psxbuild+fixup.bat" to create the new ISO files.

I think that's all.
« Last Edit: 2020-09-13 15:21:47 by Green_goblin »

NonagonGoron

• View Profile
First you need to install Python on your PC (I guess you have done that already).

Then download this pack: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zl1cNjjWEKJ-Z6HaYPeuHs8UCrARdNRr

It has everything you need except the ISO files. I recommend you to use the correct ISO files which are:

That way everyone will be using the original game data to apply your patch. Once you have these ISO files, put them in the "iso" folder and rename the files to match this format (CUE files are mandatory):

Code: [Select]
FF7-1.bin
FF7-1.cue
FF7-2.bin
FF7-2.cue
FF7-3.bin
FF7-3.cue

After that, double-click the file "0-psxrip.bat". This will extract the contents of the ISO files.

Next step: double-click the file "1-un-trans.bat". This will extract all the texts into the "txt" folder.

Then open the "txt" folder and modify whatever you want. The texts you are looking for are located in the "battle" subfolder.

When you are done, double-click the file "2-trans.bat". This will insert the txt files into the ISO files.

Finally double-click the file "3-psxbuild+fixup.bat" to create the new ISO files. This file has my own folder paths, so first change them to match yours.

I think that's all.
Yes! This is even better than what I was looking for.  This is definitely much easier to use than Python since your .bat files work in Windows Batch. It took me less than 3 minutes to extract, edit, and import. MUCH, much less of a hassle, dude.

Green_goblin and mav, you've both been real helpful to me over the past few days. Hopefully I CAN finish this hack in full. It's starting to look unlikely because of school... but what can you do, right? Anyways, thank you guys! If I have any other questions, I won't hesitate to post.
             ;D 8-)

Hey, i'm trying to get this working myself and i can use the (0-psxrip) to extract the files but when i try and use (1-un-trans) it just comes up saying press any key to continue and doesn't produce a txt file.

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Cheers

anxietymafia

• View Profile
Hey, i'm trying to get this working myself and i can use the (0-psxrip) to extract the files but when i try and use (1-un-trans) it just comes up saying press any key to continue and doesn't produce a txt file.

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Cheers

I had the same problem. Could anyone help?