Final Fantasy 7 > Releases

[FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)

<< < (2/2356) > >>

Kaldarasha:
Alright I have made a test play (not very far but enough for an overview).
First thing, please find another way to patch the flevel.lgp. I fear that many people like to use the Reunion mod and your overhaul will overwrite it (however using the Reunion after it should work with a few errors I guess). Luksy has written a tool for flevel patching, but I don't know how it works.
The next thing is the difficult, using status effects at the very beginning without a way to avoid these is unrewarding. The eyedrops are useless, because in the next turn of the enemy's, they will make one of the character blind again. A ten percent hit chance or a lesser use of them would be a bit fairer. But I wouldn't use those things until I give the player a way to avoid those, anyway. A success because of good planning feels better rather then trying to survive a situation.
I also don't understand why a simple MP can deal more damage as a 1. Class Soldier (or a successful Sephiroth copy). It is elemental for the story to show Cloud super strong. Over all I wouldn't start this game this hard, the new AI is great, but 2x tougher as the original should be enough for the start. You can rise the difficult up after the player get access to the first shop. Speaking of the start, skipping the intro movie prevents the music to play at the beginning, it will play after the first battle, but it's odd to have no music for the intro scene.

At bottom line: it is a great hardcore mod, if it would be reasonable then Cloud wouldn't stand in the back row by default.  :wink:

Sega Chief:
Cheers for the feedback, Kaldarasha. I'll add it to my notes but as far as flevel patching goes there's a lot of new code in certain fields to handle new fight triggers, item placements, some NPC replacements (Young Cid was replaced with a new field model so I've used 'old' Cid in the scenes where young Cid appears) and the party leader swap thing I added in which needed a mountain of code in the end. It will work with the reunion mod applied on top of it, but a good chunk of the mod will be 'missing' and certain items like Cosmo Memory might not be possible to obtain; there's also the danger of running into back-attacks and pincer attacks which were mostly removed from this mod, as well as certain formations being used for bosses later on. If you're playing with the Reunion patch on top, then I can't guarantee that the NT mod won't do something ridiculous. I'll look into Luksy's flevel patcher though and see what can be done.

I think I put eye-drops and antidotes in as drops more for use against the Scorpion boss who uses darkness and poison in his attacks, which I felt were slow enough in-between Scopes to get some use out of them. A reduced percentage for these statuses to be inflicted would probably make these items much more useful in regular fights though so I'll probably implement that across the entire mod for the next version of it; I'm reviewing all the status-inflicting attacks soon to get rid of the bad combos like Slow + Paralysis and move those to much later in the game or remove them entirely.

About the MPs vs. Sephiroth copy, that's a story-side thing and I was focusing more on the gameplay side of things. The idea of the first fight was to make a scenario where the player would have to use a potion/use magic or at the very least not be able to just breeze through the fight. That way, I can quickly get the message across to the player that they might need to make use of things that ordinarily they wouldn't have needed to use to make it through each area. I've found that it's easy to fall into old habits with this game, and with a difficulty mod you need to try and instill versatility into the player's approach as quickly as possible. I was watching a stream where someone was playing the mod and what I saw was that they were just using the attack command; they weren't healing with items or using spells, and they wouldn't run from a fight if it was going badly. That's why the the first fight is the way it is. Doesn't make sense from a story perspective maybe, but most RPGs cause that kind of issue with their leveling system; if that rabbit with a carrot-sword in the Icicle Area happened to wander into Midgar it'd probably bring down Shinra overnight.

The opening movie skip is a bit buggy. I had to remove it from the Steam version because it caused an unknown crash when the first fight started up and for the 1998 I've been trying to figure out how to get around the no music problem. I even had to remove the two potions from the guards because that caused a soft-lock when the skip was wrote in. It's likely I'll remove that particular skip altogether unless I can make it a little more stable because I imagine a lot of players would use it and it's not a great first impression to start the game in complete silence.

--- Quote from: Kaldarasha on 2014-01-22 11:36:44 ---At bottom line: it is a great hardcore mod, if it would be reasonable then Cloud wouldn't stand in the back row by default.  :wink:

--- End quote ---

That is a good point. I'm trying to avoid calling it a Hardcore mod though because there's already one of those (the reason I made this mod was because I enjoyed the Hardcore mod so much). Because back row and front row is probably one of the more broken aspects of the game (an essentially free 50% reduction in physical attacks is crazy) I specced all enemy physical attacks with a back row party in mind and then gave the player early access to a Long-Range Materia to encourage the player to stay in the back-row. I'll maybe rewrite the bit I said this was a reasonable difficulty mod; don't know what I was thinking.

Kaldarasha:
One last thing I forgot, rise up the amount of use of limit attacks to get the next limit. I'm not sure, but 5x more uses and kills should be fine. I would also modify the HP which a Potion restores, 100 is to less 200 or 300 would be good. In return you could should reduce the droprate for them and give later access Hi-Potions (which should restore 1000HP).

The Reunion will work. Toughscript will only skip fields, which have more/lesser windows as the original game has. But I haven't test it right now, I'm currently busy to look through your Kernel.   :D

Sega Chief:
Ah, I see. Giving it a thorough look, eh? If you find 'the secret', make sure to keep it under wraps, eh? It can't stay a secret forever but it'd be a nice surprise for folk to find (and I'm gonna say now that it was coded from scratch, I wanted it to be unique so I didn't use any other mod's flevel as a point of reference).

For limit breaks [could've sworn you mentioned making it take longer to learn limit breaks, did you edit your post?], I boosted the amount of damage a character needs to take in order the fill the limit bar for each limit (with the exception of Vincent, who has all three transformations on the first three limit levels; the difference between them is how quickly they fill. The first limit level fills quickly while the third takes an age to fill; it's so players can free up Vincent's attack commands if they don't want to use his limit breaks for a particular fight).

But I'm hesitant to boost the number of kills needed to get to the next limit level for each character because limit-grinding is quite common from what I've seen and I can see people actually just grinding for longer to learn them which would leave them overlevelled. I had a draft .exe where the limit breaks had been directly changed but I left it out in the end; I figured it'd be too incompatible. Is it a good idea to bring an .exe side to the mod or would that cause too many problems with other mods?

The drop-rate for potions is very high in the first two reactors because it's possible to become stuck if the player runs out of healing items/MP. I think out of Midgar the item drops become a bit rarer; I was having issues with glitched items on certain enemies as well so in some cases the item drop list was filled up using ProudClodFinal to avoid the problem. I'll consider fixing up the amount of HP they recover, and I was meaning to add a cure for Dual-Drain to Antidote's effect (Poisona already has this) to make them more useful. Maiden's Kiss was also changed to recover Berserk and Confuse while Cornucopia now recovers both Mini and Frog.

That sounds good about it being compatible with Reunion; I'll have another look at Touphscript. Thanks for all this feedback, Kalderasha!

Kaldarasha:

I have tested the idea with the potion set to 300 and it works pretty well, now I have more time to start some attacks, but I still need much potions.
The new scorpion is awesome ... was really a surprise.
Btw. are you patching the char.lgp? This might be a problem with the Reunion, but I guess I will update my mod with the model selection of the Reunion to make it compatible.
I really looking forward to this mod.  :-D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version