Author Topic: Switch versions  (Read 9343 times)

Arsirus UK

• I built it but they did`nt turn up
    • View Profile
    • Project Genesis
Switch versions
« on: 2019-03-26 18:54:37 »
Anyone having a crack at getting into the NSP to insert Graphical mods?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: Switch versions
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-26 19:00:47 »
Someone replaced already some files with moded ones. He wants to make a tutorial for it if we can bring the battle textures to work with. It seems there is a size limit.

Fewtch

• All good things in time
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #2 on: 2019-03-27 05:52:24 »
I've been batch processing images since yesterday in preparation. Normally we'd use 2k textures but since the Switch doesnt display anything higher than 1080, I'm resizing them to half that size. Should look great regardless, provided it doesnt mind the larger image sizes with LayeredFS. One thing I feel the need to ask is: If we're required to convert the exe for use with mods using FF7 Game Converter, does that not mean we'd have to make the same edits of the Switch files in order to enable alternate file loading?

Kiroshu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-03-27 19:18:34 »
You can see a file list from the extracted game here: https://pastebin.com/F5pEKyHK
I've never used mods for FF before so I've no idea how compatible they are.

Arsirus UK

• View Profile
    • Project Genesis
« Reply #4 on: 2019-03-28 19:02:14 »
If you want to send me any info or keep me in the loop, I could give you a hand.
I`ve not done anything major for FFVII for 10 years, so i`m a little rusty.
But won`t take me long to get back on it.

Thats very interesting Kiroshu.
They all seem to be the same file names and types as the PC version.
Can you get the unzipped files over to me, or point me to where I can unzip my NSP.

Please remember that you can modify your messages, and please don't double post. ~strife98
« Last Edit: 2019-04-02 07:11:38 by strife98 »

Brokenxwing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-04-02 02:52:51 »
How is any of that possible? The Switch doesn't even come with a cable to plug into the computer? Do you need to use an SD card in a card reader or something to get to the files? And does a Switch have to be modded to do any of this?

Ryftness

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-04-02 14:34:55 »
How is any of that possible? The Switch doesn't even come with a cable to plug into the computer? Do you need to use an SD card in a card reader or something to get to the files? And does a Switch have to be modded to do any of this?

I am currently helping someone port his graphical mod over to switch so I can explain some things. If your switch is modded, you can use something called layeredFS. This basically let's you redirect what files the game pulls it's assets from as long as you know the file structure. This allows modding without actually altering the game files. The Switch port of FF7 uses an almost identical file structure as the PC port so if you set it up correctly on the SD card, you can copy over a modded lgp file and it will use that instead of the one built into the game. Very convenient for testing mods since you don't have to keep a vanilla version of the game files.

Arsirus UK

• View Profile
    • Project Genesis
« Reply #7 on: 2019-04-02 15:34:48 »
The Switch is a standard USB C cable.
You can do whatever you want after you crack it.

Brokenxwing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-04-03 03:37:48 »
My Switch isn't modded, and I'm not very comfortable modding a brand new console I just got like 2 weeks ago. I did hack my Vita I got at around the same time, but only because it's an old system and wasn't brand new, and I'm far less likely to get banned for hacking it than on the Switch is far more likely to get banned for hacking. The other problem is I don't currently have an SD card in my Switch yet. I'm using the internal storage and when I plugged in my Switch with a phone charger USB-C charger yesterday into my computer it didn't come up with showing any storage device. So I couldn't look at the file structure. If I did put in an SD card and plug it into my computer, would that make it show up as a proper storage device? The only SD card I have currently is a 32GB card in my phone and I don't really want to use it in my Switch cause my phone has lots of stuff on it and I don't know if I used it if I could ever get it to work on my phone again or not. I also don't even know how to hack a Switch right now as I've never looked up a tutorial so far. I was actually kind of nervous about using my phone's USB-C charger because I've heard the Switch is picky about what kind of USB-C charges it. Thankfully it didn't seem to hurt it at all.

Arsirus UK

• View Profile
    • Project Genesis
« Reply #9 on: 2019-04-03 16:01:33 »
The easiest way, is just transfer the games to the SD card.
Then put that into a PC.

Brokenxwing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-04-04 01:37:11 »
Oh okay. Well, I don't have an SD card to use at the moment, or a card reader yet. I'm probably going to get one later in the month because I need a card reader for SD2Vita. So I'm probably going to buy 2 SD cards, one for my Vita and a second one for my Switch. But my Switch isn't hacked anyway so wouldn't this not work on it anyway?

Ryftness

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-04-04 15:59:19 »
That is correct. You need a hacked switch to use mods.

Arsirus_UK, if you are interested in helping out with Switch modding, feel free to shoot me an email and I'll get you in a discord server. I have the nsp extracted.
« Last Edit: 2019-04-04 16:20:20 by Ryftness »

Brokenxwing

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-04-05 08:26:33 »
What is the NSP?

youffie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2019-04-05 17:08:38 »
Oh okay. Well, I don't have an SD card to use at the moment, or a card reader yet. I'm probably going to get one later in the month because I need a card reader for SD2Vita. So I'm probably going to buy 2 SD cards, one for my Vita and a second one for my Switch. But my Switch isn't hacked anyway so wouldn't this not work on it anyway?

Your Switch NEED to be hacked for this to work !

What is the NSP?

.NSP is the format the e-shop games are compressed into for installation onto the Switch

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2019-04-05 19:39:17 »
Does anyone know if any progress has been made with hacking the patched Switches? I would love to mod VII and IX for the Switch but I'm out of luck until the Patched systems can be homebrewed. Regardless, having modded VII and IX portable is very cool. I think they'll look awesome in handheld mode.

Brokenxwing

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2019-04-08 03:06:23 »

.NSP is the format the e-shop games are compressed into for installation onto the Switch

Oh okay. Thanks for the info.