Author Topic: Favorite horror movies?  (Read 9671 times)

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Favorite horror movies?
« on: 2010-10-26 02:39:54 »
Hello fellow members of Qhimm.  ;D

Post horror films that scare the shit outta you. If you claim to not be scared of anything, then post your favorite all-time horror films or any horror films that you think are worth watching.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite horror movies?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-26 02:49:44 »
The Nightmare Before Christmas

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-26 02:57:49 »
Anything with exorcisms, that supernatural shit terrifies me to the point I can't even finish the movie.  All other horror movies are child's play.

see what I did there

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-26 04:26:56 »
Anything with exorcisms, that supernatural sh*t terrifies me to the point I can't even finish the movie.  All other horror movies are child's play.

see what I did there
Yeah, those type of movies are pretty cool. Demonic spirits in the house and sh*t. Pretty nice.

Horror films such as "a single person/humanoid-being" killing everyone = old, cheesy, repetitive.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-10-26 10:00:36 »
japanese/thai ones manage to seriously scare me.

but my favorites are evil dead series.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-26 12:04:53 »
best horror movie ever Ernest Scared Stupid .

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-10-26 13:11:55 »
I loved 28 Days Later & The Ring. I realize that some people didn't find the latter movie scary at all. But I'd be lying if I said I was one.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #7 on: 2010-10-26 15:53:46 »
I loved 28 Days Later & The Ring. I realize that some people didn't find the latter movie scary at all. But I'd be lying if I said I was one.
I <3 28 Days Later. It's not really scary, but it's awesome to watch! Same goes for the sequel.

A movie that really got me when I was a child was "It."

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-10-26 15:58:23 »
Jeepers Creepers is one that had me scared, although the acting was subpar. Can't seem to think of any that kept me up late at night. Outside of Paranormal Activity.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-10-26 15:59:45 »
I dont really care for horror movies. But 13 ghosts was a good one.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-10-26 17:13:12 »
Wait, do you mean the 1960 original, or the 2001 remake? The remake was awful in almost every regard except special effects. If it had been campy, that would have been okay, but it took itself way too seriously to be good.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-10-26 17:14:59 »
A movie that really got me when I was a child was "It."
I never saw the movie, because my parents said I wasn't "old enough" when it came out. So I snuck into my older brother's room and read the first few chapters of the book. I then proceeded to be hounded by nightmares, and have a terrible fear of clowns.

And that's why you should listen to your parents.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #12 on: 2010-10-26 18:40:58 »
Jeepers Creepers is one that had me scared, although the acting was subpar. Can't seem to think of any that kept me up late at night. Outside of Paranormal Activity.
Haven't fully seen Jeepers Creepers, but I should get around to watching it. As for Paranormal Activity, yeah, that's some pretty freaky shit.

I didn't know there were 2 versions to it; I've only seen the remake and I thought it was good.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-10-26 18:51:03 »
If you claim to not be scared of anything, then post your favorite all-time horror films or any horror films that you think are worth watching.

The only film that has ever come close to freaking me out was In the Mouth of Madness. Something to do with a fear of the whole world going crazy and being to only sane one left. I only watched it once, and that was a long time ago.

In a similar vein, I can recommend Dark City. It's best watched at night, but not for the usual reasons.

As a general rule, however, I don't like films very much. Especially horror films. They're mostly too stupid to take seriously and not worth spending two hours watching.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-10-26 18:54:37 »
It was the remake

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-10-26 19:09:15 »
A nightmare on elm street given me some nightmare when i was a kid and warped my fragile little mind too
The remake was pants

I'm also a sucker for zombie movies

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #16 on: 2010-10-26 20:43:41 »
Watch any movie you like, just play the X-Files theme in the background and make sure its pitch-black in every room of the house.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-10-26 21:02:51 »
more recently.... the human centipede! I have totally demented movie taste though, and the more off the wall totally gross, the more i am interested! Horror is also my favorite movie genre

Favorites off the top of my head:
Evil Dead(1-3)
In the Mouth of Madness
The Serpent and the Rainbow
The Descent
Texas Chainsaw Massacre(original)
The Mist
30 days of Night
Wrong Turn(cheesy as hell, but it knows it)

Also, to be totally freaked out watch "AntiChrist" starring William Defoe. It is seriously to only movie that had me clutching my knees so hard my hands hurt. The movie is absolutely terrifying, especially near the end. Not sure if it counts as horror, but it is easily in the top 5 movies i have ever watched.

lee

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #18 on: 2010-10-26 21:10:10 »
Was the Human Centipede any good?  I idea was crazy and sounded like a good movie, but did they spend more than $3 to make it?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-10-27 02:12:51 »
Was the Human Centipede any good?  I idea was crazy and sounded like a good movie, but did they spend more than $3 to make it?
was it any good....that's hard to answer. I didn't feel like i wasted my time with it, ala the new Nightmare on Elm Street. It's actually not as graphic as you may be led to believe, it has more of a hitchcock-type of grossness if you understand what i mean. The idea of what is going on is a lot worse than what is depicted.

lee

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #20 on: 2010-10-27 05:17:41 »
was it any good....that's hard to answer. I didn't feel like i wasted my time with it, ala the new Nightmare on Elm Street. It's actually not as graphic as you may be led to believe, it has more of a hitchc*ck-type of grossness if you understand what i mean. The idea of what is going on is a lot worse than what is depicted.
Just IMDb'ed that movie. Woah. I have got to see that movie.

Why is it always a scientist? Also, why do the fucked up movies (not the derogatory way; more like the types that make you flinch at times) always take place or relate of traveling to Europe?

Leighos, please enlighten us on this. :D

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-10-27 15:53:49 »
In the Mouth of Madness
This sounds pretty awesome. It reminds me of a Vonnegut book Breakfast of Champions. Except much more distubing.
I might add that to my netflix queue.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-10-27 22:00:26 »

Why is it always a scientist? Also, why do the f*cked up movies (not the derogatory way; more like the types that make you flinch at times) always take place or relate of traveling to Europe?

Leighos, please enlighten us on this. :D

Wait, why am I explaining this? I don't know anything about film ;_;

I'm not really sure whether the more f*cked up films really do tend to involve Europe, but if they do, it's probably because Americans perceive the Old World as a place with more history in which there are likely to be more supernatural things and deeper grudges. I mean, much of the US has only been populated by English speakers since the 19th century. The rest has still only been populated for a short amount of time. Maybe that's not enough time to collect a lot of ghosts and demons and curses and scary legends?

And as for scientists: people fear them. Humans have a great fear of people knowing "too much", which usually means "knowing more than they do". They also feel intimidated by the unknown, and the mind of a scientist is a big unknown to a lot of people. Humans also tend to regard certain things as sacred, and science seeks to understand everything, even these sacred things that people don't want to know.

Mix all of that in with some good old religious opposition to science (I've noticed that the "mad scientist" trope is especially popular in the US, the most religious country in the developed world), and a little bit of political correctness (scientists are an acceptable target), and you have a recipe for making scientists into villains.

In the Mouth of Madness
This sounds pretty awesome. It reminds me of a Vonnegut book Breakfast of Champions. Except much more distubing.
I might add that to my netflix queue.

I recommend it! There's a chance you won't like it (I think it's the kind of film that people either find terrifying or not scary at all), but it's more worthy of a couple of hours in front of the screen than most films are.