Author Topic: New title menu pic for PRP project for those who are interested  (Read 22352 times)

yongkykun

• View Profile
Hi, it's me again with the buster sword...
I've finished the opening menu pic that someone (sorry, I forgot who) asked me to make for the PRP project. so here it is.

Note: Anyone who uses this pic may erase my deviantart link and my email, but please give me some credit by not redistributing it outside of this forum without my consent.

Thanks... input and critics are welcome.

Terid__K

Looks great, but why is the light on the floor inclined? That looks weird.

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
Looks kinda like the light is shining onto a hill, but it is great work though. :-)

yongkykun

• View Profile
That's because I cheated the light on the floor, it's supposed to be much more elongated, but due to the fact that I'm making this with the original art as reference, well, this is what I come up with. In the original art, the spotlight looks like that as well, so I cheated the lighting a bit to match that odd shaped light on the floor.

edit: btw, please give me some input as to how I can improve the look of the image. Do you think I should try and make my own version of lighting setup with basically the same angle as the original art rather than settling for that stupid looking light on the floor?

Or if you guys want to see it from a different angle or different position, drop me a line right here in this thread. Thanks for the comments.
« Last Edit: 2008-06-14 17:58:01 by yongkykun »

auxili160

• View Profile
Yeah, change the light. You can do your own version instead of mimicking the funky original one.

yongkykun

• View Profile
So, here it is, the revised version.

Personally though, since the position of the sword itself is not that interesting, it really doesn't temp the artistic part of my brain to work. So I myself don't really like this piece. Which means... again, give some input here guys. thanks in advance.

PS: here's the same buster sword in its WIP state which some of you might have seen.

Mattie

• View Profile
In my opinion, the sword you say is in WIP has a great angle. Especiallly how it is stuck in the ground kinda like AC style. Maybe try that with the new version of the sword? Just a suggestion.

BTW nice work :)

auxili160

• View Profile
The WIP one is awesome. The other one looks awkward cause it's just floating in midair, not dug into the ground. lol

The WIP sword itself doesn't look at sharp at the other one, but overall the pic looks better.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
Yeah I agree, use the style you used in the WIP one, just use the old buster sword, and use those lighting effects as well they're very nice.

apz freak

• View Profile
Great work dude! It's better than the one I did with my WIP  :roll:

yongkykun

• View Profile
well yours look much more faithful to the original art, apzfreak. I'll try and make some adjustments, and I'll post the result later. Thanks guys, keep sending comments :)

Tsetra

• View Profile
The first picture is actually the way it looks in the game, tilted light and all. Something about it though doesn't quite seem right. I can't place it. It's a nice picture for sure, though.
In your last attempt, you should try to change the shadow, so that there is shadow underneath the tip of the blade. The lack of shadow there it what makes it appear to be floating.
Hopefully this made some sense.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
Hi
Nice work like i say in the last topic

but the if you really do want to make the menu screen. Then none of them here will do.

If you want to make one then you have to look at the buster.tex in the menu lgp
As there is a limit on the size and it needs to be in the right place

Borde

• View Profile
Are you sure there is a limit in the size ice_cold? I never tried, but since all the other textures can be pretty big I thought this one would be the same. But there is another problem: the color depth. You must use an 8-bit image.
By the way, I think the WIP one is the best. Great job.

Destiny

• View Profile
If i remember correctly buster.tex is 256x256 but the image is something like 95x95, but im not sure about it i dont have my pc right now.
Anyway just like Borde said, it is 256 colors (8 bit)

yongkykun

• View Profile
woa, 256x256? That just won't do, man! Are you sure about that? making it into 256 color in itself is a real heart breaker to me. Now I have to scale it down to 256x256? How come it's in square pixel aspect ratio? Isn't it supposed to be in 4:3 (TV) ratio? Well anyway, here's the latest version... comments please  :-D

and the same pic in 256 color 8-bit format:

Hope you guys like it  :mrgreen:

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
To be fair, the 8-bit one still looks a hell of a lot better than the original game one.
I like all of your different versions, although I do tend to like the ones where the sword actually appears to be in the ground and not just floating there.
Good work though. :-)

Tsetra

• View Profile
Flip the sword so it's edge is down, and it's pretty much perfect. If you want perfectly like the original, the blade is lower in the pic just a hair so that New and Continue are centered in the screen just above the Buster Sword. Too bad the engine can't handle your original  :oops: That looks really good.

Synergy Blades

I don't know what you're using to downgrade to 8-bit, but Photoshop does the job nicely converting to an indexed image using 100% diffusion, only being a tiny bit obvious on the gradations of the light glow:

GIF image (click)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
I love the last version you posted. How do you put that in-game?

Sorry if thats a stupid question!

apz freak

• View Profile
I would be willing to convert for game use!

yongkykun

• View Profile
To synergy, since it's an old windows game, I thought that I needed to go with the windows system standard. If not then yes, photoshop does have a great indexed preset for 256 color. Localed, if I'm not mistaken. So, you guys like this one eh? Apz freak, let me turn the edge side down, then please do convert it for game use. Thanks in advance. Be back in a jiff.

auxili160

• View Profile
I personally like this one more: http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=still05zp1.jpg
I like how the sword is dug into the ground.

yongkykun

• View Profile
Alrighty, I'll see what I can do. BTW, how big does it need to be? I'm using the hires patch so I thought that for the sake of crispness of the picture I needed to render it @ 1280*1024. So how big is it supposed to be? I'll still post the hires along with the 256 color for the next version and since some of you wants to use it, I'll make the text smaller...

Tsetra

• View Profile
I actually don't think the hi-res patch makes a difference on the title screen. My guess is that if you insert too large of a picture, you'll simply only see one corner of it, and the rest will be off screen. I hope I'm mistaken though.