Author Topic: FF7 won't recognize my sound card (?)  (Read 2314 times)

KhalDrogoSings

• View Profile
FF7 won't recognize my sound card (?)
« on: 2020-04-11 11:28:41 »
Hello guys, I guess you are all playing the remake right now but I'd appreciate some help here.

Trying to play the original FF7 on windows 10... After a lot of reading I managed to make it playable but I have an issue I can't seem to solve.

So the game runs ok but it seems like it does not recognize my sound card.

- If I select it ("Duet") from either FF7config.exe or in 7th Heaven, the game crushes. When I click the test button I get no sound in FF7config but I DO get sound in 7H. Still when I run it, it crushes.
- There're no other issues with my sound card. Only in FF7.
- If I use on-board headphones or anything else, it works.
- The only way to play the game is to use my on-board sound which is not a very good solution since I can't use my stereo speakers so I only get the sound from one speaker.

Any ideas?
thank you

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Re: FF7 won't recognize my sound card (?)
« Reply #1 on: 2020-04-11 12:18:50 »
Try leaving your sound device option set to Auto-Switch (Windows Default) then change your default sound card to your preferred one by clicking the speaker icon in your system tray (notification area) then click the little arrow to switch between different audio devices.

If the old FF7Config.exe is not properly detecting your sound card, most likely similar code is used in the game so therefore will also not work. 7th Heaven is obviously more modern in that regard and can do playback tests correctly with your card, but it can't force the game code to work with it.  If you follow my steps above, you're sort of telling the game to just let the OS handle it and it may work that way (which is why it is the default option in 7H). If still no go, try updating your sound card drivers direct from the manufacturer of the chipset's web site. Windows' built-in audio drivers are notoriously garbage. If your sound card functions with some kind of proprietary non-standard or uncommon voodoo via some added on driver bells and whistles, see if you can disable them or put the card in some kind of legacy/compatibility mode via the driver software and try again.

KhalDrogoSings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-04-11 15:39:23 »
Hello and thanks!

Now the game works (runs) but no sound at all...

My 'sound card is' a home studio audio interface. The FF7config.exe sees it (it even shows the name). I guess it's a driver thing then but I can't find a solution there.

If anyone else has an idea, let me know, thanks again.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
« Reply #3 on: 2020-04-12 15:14:37 »
Some folks have reported that deleting the file "ff7sound.cfg" has fixed their sound issues for the Steam version, but I can't see that helping with the patched 1998 ff7.exe since it shouldn't be looking for that.

KhalDrogoSings

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-04-12 15:27:45 »
Can't find a "ff7sound.cfg" file.

Linux Potato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-04-12 21:28:01 »
Well if your not attempting to mod the audio at the moment then the game is specifically not playing midi - probably nothing to do with audio drivers especially if you already get audio from other programs.
Possible fix choice #1:  Mod some enhanced soundtracks in so simply setting the soundtrack mod up may set you straight.
Possible fix choice #2:  Start looking at tips for getting midi functional on Win10, chances are it is not.

Midi you will love it, hate it, or love it while looking at other midi synthesizers =)

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
« Reply #6 on: 2020-04-15 02:40:07 »
Can't find a "ff7sound.cfg" file.
It's in your Documents\Steam... folder somewhere.

Well if your not attempting to mod the audio at the moment then the game is specifically not playing midi - probably nothing to do with audio drivers especially if you already get audio from other programs.
Possible fix choice #1:  Mod some enhanced soundtracks in so simply setting the soundtrack mod up may set you straight.
Possible fix choice #2:  Start looking at tips for getting midi functional on Win10, chances are it is not.

Midi you will love it, hate it, or love it while looking at other midi synthesizers =)

I assume when he says he's not getting sound and based on the symptoms, this appears to be ALL sound not just music. If using the Steam version, then adding a music mod won't help as they're both going through the same playback software in OGG format. MIDI is built into Windows, there's nothing to do to configure it, but in order to use MIDI with 7H, you need to go to Settings>Game Driver>Advanced>Music Option>Original MIDI. But of course, if you get no sound at all, this probably won't do anything for you.