Author Topic: ssslllooowww fmvs =(  (Read 6700 times)

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« on: 2005-11-08 19:59:40 »
Okay folks, here's the situation.

On my rig, the fmvs play horribly slow, and the sound mis-synchs (So the sound goes at normal speed, while the video lags behind).  This is evident on all the longer videos, and is horribly annoying.  Specs are as below:

amd 2000+ (1.6 gigs)
1 gig ram
geforce 6600gt driver version 77.77
onboard nforce 2 sound
2 HDs (20/80 gigis)
a dvd rewritable +/- drive
winxp pro sp 2
dual monitors

While i AM using the saint's high res patch, not using it has not aleviated this problem.  I have also tried different versions of the duck codec, with no results.

I have tried turning down/off hardware acceleration for sound; still nothing.

I am curently running the movies off my primary HD, and have tried running them off BOTH HDs AND the dvd drive.  The results are the same.

I've tried disabling one of my monitors while playing ff7; nothing.

The movies play perfect in winamp and WMP.  It's just that, in-game, the video lags.  About the only thing i havn't done is reverted to a clean 1.00 version and tried running it in software mode /=.

I have come to conclude there is some kind of video resource conflict with XP pro sp 2 that occures only when playing ff7; i cannot revert to an "earlier" version of windows, as an sp2 disk is the only one i have =(  Does the code for the game need to be updated, or am I misisng something horribly obvious?  Does anyone have any further suggestions?

Coheed

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-09 00:23:17 »
Though I'm not sure why you're having these problems, I'm almost completely sure XPSP2 isn't causing the problems (however many other problems it is causing :P).

Larken

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-09 09:21:54 »
Same gfx card as you, 1 hdd, 2 optical drives, 2.6c P4. Movies only go slow in software mode, hardware mode plays them normal for me, but only available after the 1.02 patch.

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-09 09:56:43 »
fmvs could run slow in forced 32bit color depth.
this also could be caused by some screw up with your codecs...
Maybe immortal compatibility mode helps ;]

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #4 on: 2005-11-09 16:20:23 »
I kinda have the same thing going on.... I know what will fix it, but I don't know what causes it. Have had the problem before, and what fixed it was a reformat/reinstall of Windows.

But my problem wasn't/isn't so much the audio moving too fast. It's more like the audio is lagging behind and waiting, and then when the movie catches up, it laggs again.... causing a stuttering movie effect. Also sound played during FMV's is distorted...making my speaker pop. Ingame battles, are pretty much doing the same thing, minus the speaker pop. So, it's not exactly what your system is doing.

With Win98, accelerated audio was usually fixed by putting DirectSound Acceleration into Basic mode. But I kinda doubt that solution will work with WinXP

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #5 on: 2005-11-09 20:13:31 »
360: problem with that is, i'm working off a fresh install!  All i have on my compy is sp2, firefox, MSoffice, ff7 and photoshop!

Hay: I think i've tried compatability for 98... i'll see about 95 though.  And, the only codecs i have are whatever comes with windows, divx, and Truemotion/duck =(  I don't think ff7 is running in 32bit color mode =/

Larken: well that's disconcerting =(  darnnit all =/

cvieor

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #6 on: 2005-11-09 21:02:56 »
Try the 81.85 drivers. I have the same card and that fixed it for me. Make sure it's in hardware mode! Make sure your sound card drivers are updated too.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #7 on: 2005-11-11 04:57:19 »
Done and done... and things are now slightly noticably worse o_o

I can't understand this.  At all =/

The only thing i havnt tried is overclocking my video card.  Would that do anything? (I'd like an opinion or two on that before i go and ruin the thing =P)

Larken

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #8 on: 2005-11-11 12:48:48 »
Overclocking definitely won't help, it only allows your gpu to perform better when the rendered graphics is BEYOND what your card can offer, FF7 hardly qualifies as a gfx intense game, so no, overclocking won't have any effect on the movies.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #9 on: 2005-11-12 06:17:24 »
dag nammit =(

Well, this is obviously becasue of something going on on my end... frag.  I am SO ready to re-reinstall windows and start from scratch until i find out wtf is going on!

Larken

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #10 on: 2005-11-12 08:37:49 »
I'm not entirely sure that you're actually running your game in hardware mode, the only obvious difference between my rig and yours is probably I'm running old omega drivers 66.93 due to a chipset conflict for my mobo. I'm running Win XP Sp2 too, and I could run the movies fine in hardware mode.

Could you post a screen of your config for the ff7 gfx settings? Also, if u ever update your drivers, DO use drivercleaner. And as for what drivers to use, 78.05 seems to be the best bet, 81.85 is problematic for the 6xxx series of cards. While you're at it, the optimized drivers at ngohq are way better than the stock nvidia drivers.

(I'm pretty sure its not a driver issue, but I wrote it just in case you do want to change drivers, post that screen and I'll see if I can help... No gurantee though.) :wink:

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #11 on: 2005-11-13 06:01:49 »
Dude, i'm using the high res patch.  I HAVE to use hardware mode =P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/emperorsteele/Display2.jpg

I'll use dirvercleaner and that 78.05, and from that site you mentioned; I usually go to guru3d =/

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #12 on: 2005-11-13 07:48:17 »
Hmm...

AMD Barton 2500+
nForce2 motherboard (i think that's important) with integrated audio
GeForce3Ti200
512MB RAM
60GB HDD
DVD RW DL
WinXP SP2 (Pro)

And FMVs are slooooooow too, but i don't play on that PC, so there is no problem :P.

dziugo

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #13 on: 2005-11-13 08:05:22 »
Hmmm...

The sound synchs for the first ~45 seconds of an fmv, but then gets worse.  This is bad, particulairly for the first and final fmvs, which both last longer than that =P The video continues to get lagier, and.. blah.

Dziugo, you think the onboard nforce sound is doing it?  I never really had a problem with... it...

before i started using the latest drivers... hmmmmmm.  I'll try the ones that came WITH the mobo.

I dunno, it's just wierd, because this seems like a VIDEO issue.  The sound isn't what's going fast.. but if somehow the sound is being a resource hog due to bad drivers...

Sorry, just rambling aloud =)

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #14 on: 2005-11-13 09:00:55 »
I disabled onboard Sound Device and installed an old SB Live!. There is still some kind of lag.

As you said, it's not the sound that plays too fast. I could try and change the graphic card to some radeon... hmm... I'll post back.

dziugo

Larken

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #15 on: 2005-11-13 12:43:53 »

Check either in windows settings or rivatuner that your card is running in agp mode. Nvidia drivers beyond 71.89 have a bad habit or forcing your card to run in PCI mode, in which the bus would read as PCI 0 in the settings, while rivatuner tuner would show it as PCI at the AGP transfer Rate row.

Your settings for FF7 is no different from mine, except my onboard sound is a Cmedia AC'97. Beyond the AGP port problem, I can't figure out why your movies will lag... except maybe a codec conflict?

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #16 on: 2005-11-14 05:17:23 »
Here:

I took note of the fact that the geforce properties and general hardware seem to conflict as far as pci/agp go.  Other than that, I'm stumped =/

Larken

• View Profile
ssslllooowww fmvs =(
« Reply #17 on: 2005-11-14 19:06:44 »
Those settings are actually fine. Now I'm stumped too. :roll:  :z Lol