Author Topic: Sprites in FFT  (Read 5595 times)

Akari

• View Profile
Sprites in FFT
« on: 2006-05-23 19:41:57 »
It's a long long time since last I reverse something =) It's nostalgic.

I try to understand how sprites in FFT works because sprite system is similar to one in Xenogears.
The real images are in SPR files. The Frames data are in SHP files. I still cant found size of single tile, but already have some result

The image itself:

And the whole frame

The image that consist from one tile looks normal, but on the first one has many garbage because of wrong tile size. (I set them manually to 48x54)
« Last Edit: 2006-05-23 19:44:44 by Akari »

Cyberman

• View Profile
Re: Sprites in FFT
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-24 05:37:23 »
Akari you are much more patient than I is all I can say LOL!

Cool... of course I'm still procrastinating on fixing my PC which had my newest variant of PSXview.. gah I'm so lazy sometimes.

In any case interesting stuff, if I remember correctly FFT has a linear plot progression but all the field files are 3d.  There are a few cut scenes without field files being a battle field also.  I'm trying to remember if there are places where you move your character through a 3d area other than wandering the world map in 2d.  I don't believe there are.  It might be the same engine as was used in Xenogears.. when was FFT's release date?

Cyb 

APOSEIGd15

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-24 06:47:27 »
I think the US release came January 28, '98.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-24 19:01:13 »
The engine is very similar. Sound format are exactly the same, 3d formats looks similar to one in Xenogears. This two games was developed paralelly by different teams, but I think engine of FFT is slight earlier than Xenogears. Maybe Xenogears was started when tactics was near half-complete, so they use basic engine and modify them a little.