Author Topic: FF7 /FF8 Midi audio  (Read 3087 times)

greator

• View Profile
FF7 /FF8 Midi audio
« on: 2019-09-13 12:50:34 »
I didn't know if anyone ever tried this before, I never seen any video or posts about it.
But has anyone ever tried playing the pc game midi audio files using a high quality midi hardware?
Something like maybe a Roland MT-32 or something?

Maybe if playing the game with that kind of hardware will produce a music similar to the original or maybe that is what it meant to be?

My theory is that the game midi files are the actual source file for the audio. All the game audio are made using midi or fm synthesizer, only the FMVs are orchestrated. I guess you guys already knew that.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 /FF8 Midi audio
« Reply #1 on: 2019-09-13 13:00:45 »
My understanding was that the music was played using midi instructions in an AKAO format. I don't know what the deal with the PC ports is, but out of the box the original 1998 version was set up to use Midi synthesisers like Yamaha (but it wasn't a 1:1 recreation of the PS1 music, different instruments and stuff). I don't know if these read from the .AKAO files but I imagine they do. There are a couple videos floating around where people have set up proper MIDI support and recorded the music; it sounds fairly decent, not same instruments but clean-sounding.

I recently came across videos of Roland machines playing old game music and they sounded super good; it'd be really interesting to see FF7 PC midi music ran through that.

greator

• View Profile
Re: FF7 /FF8 Midi audio
« Reply #2 on: 2019-09-13 18:30:09 »
Just found out that they have been using AKAO since SNES era.
and AKAO files can be converted into midi files.

If I remember in FF8(2000) there's a mod that can change our windows midi player with a better one and it makes the music sound much better and almost like PSX version but not perfect. This is before OGG.