Author Topic: Remake Petition  (Read 23256 times)

endsdawn

Remake Petition
« on: 2006-06-22 08:19:16 »
Hey all.

First, I'd just like to say "Hello!" since it's my new post on here. I've been lurking for a bit, especially in the tweaking forum since I've been trying to get my MP3s to replace the MIDIs in Final Fantasy VII for the PC, but I never posted on here before.

I'm rather hoping this won't count as spam or anything but I'm not 100% sure... If it does, I'm really sorry.

I penned up a Final Fantasy VII PlayStation 3 Remake petition tonight that I am eventually hoping to send to Square Enix and thought some of you may want to sign. I don't have many signatures yet but I'm hoping that'll change soon.

Here's the link: http://www.petitiononline.com/ps3ffvii/petition.html

Thank you in advance to anyone who signs and again, I apologize if this counts as spam, I really don't mean to spam a board, I'm just trying to let people know I've set this thing up.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Re: Remake Petition
« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-22 09:33:15 »
Mental exercise: Count all online petitions that have ever accomplished anything, except annoy people.

aengel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-22 10:15:37 »
Mental exercise: Count all online petitions that have ever accomplished anything, except annoy people.

I managed to count all the way to zero!

endsdawn

« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-22 10:36:23 »
Oh, dang, I was just reading about a game that got made because of petitions and fan support on wikipedia the other day and I can't remember which one it was... That figures. I'll be back with the name when I can remember the dang thing.

aengel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-22 10:40:42 »
Oh, dang, I was just reading about a game that got made because of petitions and fan support on wikipedia the other day and I can't remember which one it was... That figures. I'll be back with the name when I can remember the dang thing.

Gosh, dang, golly!

endsdawn

« Reply #5 on: 2006-06-22 11:31:08 »

Gosh, dang, golly!

Sad thing is that I wasn't joking. It took me a bit to remember but the game was Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire. To quote wikipedia "Dragon Fire was always planned to be part of the series (whereas Wages of War originally was not), but it would not have been produced if not for the pressure that fans put upon Sierra Entertainment."

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-22 16:40:45 »
Who the hell is Sierra Entertainment?

...Not a huge corporate deity like Sony, I'm sure.

Sony's proven that it can withstand many, many things. Pressure from some little website (in the grand scheme of things) isn't going to alter their decision any. For all we know, they are making it, but are trying to lead us otherwise. An unlikely scenario, but plausible nonetheless.

Regardless, Final Fantasy VII is as Final Fantasy VII was, to me. I'll buy a remake, but I'm perfectly happy with how it was, and even how it's going to be with how these boards have been developing newer and newer methods to improve the overall quality of the game.

Sad Jari

« Reply #7 on: 2006-06-22 16:58:39 »
*spanks zero88*

If you are supposed to be a gamer, you might as well educate yourself a bit.

Nih. :-D

Regardless, online petitions are usually worth... well, nothing. And it's been eight years since Quest for Glory V. Even then fans basically got a stripped down game, with lots of stuff removed because there was no time/money to make it work.

aengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-06-22 18:17:55 »

Nothing but the greatest creators of adventure games ever. Never played any Monkey Island games? Grim Fandango?

Panga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-06-22 21:55:38 »
Nothing but the greatest creators of adventure games ever. Never played any Monkey Island games? Grim Fandango?

I thought Monkey Island and Grim Fandango were Lucasarts, not Sierra. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me. But I was a big fan of the Monkey Island games (still dig them out from time to time) so it's the kind of thing I'd expect myself to remember correctly.

aengel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-06-22 22:48:10 »
I thought Monkey Island and Grim Fandango were Lucasarts, not Sierra. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me. But I was a big fan of the Monkey Island games (still dig them out from time to time) so it's the kind of thing I'd expect myself to remember correctly.

I do believe that sierra co-produced those games. I know they produced the "Larry"series as well as lots of goldies. Although, they have been releasing newer games to. I mean, Half-Life anyone?

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-06-22 23:02:43 »
Sierra only published Half-life; Valve made Half-life 1 and 2.

Wuz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-06-23 01:20:31 »
i have a feeling i don't want them to remake it.
FF7 is FF7. I'm afraid they will change it too much and it won't be FF7 (yeah wrap your brain around that, you know what i mean)
if they do it and it sucks i will pretend it does'nt exist and continue indulge myself in the creations of the Qhimm community.

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-06-23 04:40:04 »

Which would be why I don't know them. Never played any of the Half-Life games or Monkey Island or Grim Fandango (?).

Whatever. I really only play RPGs and first-person shooters. I've never gotten around to Half-Life.

But the premise of my post remains; an online petition won't influence Sony.

Sad Jari

« Reply #14 on: 2006-06-23 06:26:26 »
I'm willing to bet money that Sierra had nothing to do with Monkey Islands and Grim Fandango, considering the bitter rivalry between Lucasarts and Sierra at the time. Plus, Lucasarts does not need co-producers, money is something it has plenty.

Which would be why I don't know them. Never played any of the Half-Life games or Monkey Island or Grim Fandango (?).

Whatever. I really only play RPGs and first-person shooters. I've never gotten around to Half-Life.
You... ... what you say?!

Is there actually a person in this world who has never played Half-Life? Person who plays FPS', but has never played Half-Life? What is wrong with you?! :P What kind of a freak are you?! :-D

You really need to try them. Really really really. At least the latter, if the former looks bit too aged. They haven't gathered the trophies and Game of the Year-titles just because Sierra bribes people, but because they are actually really good.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-06-23 07:32:21 »
I wouldn't sign a petition for a PS3 remake of FF7, even if there were a chance it'd help. I'd much rather see it on DS, PSP, XB360, Wii, or pretty much anything that doesn't cost $600.

Sierra also makes the You Don't Know Jack games, or at least used to. Good trivia fun.

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-06-23 20:24:19 »
I think the most logical choice would be PSP, as it would support updated graphics, be handheld, and it's Sony.  Plus, I believe no wallets have died buying PSPs.  The same, I'm sure, won't be able to be said for the PS3.  Personally, I hope that it will come to the DS, owning one myself...but that will never happen...or will it? :wink:

PS3=$ :-o

XB360=$ :|

Wii=$ :-)

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #17 on: 2006-06-24 04:24:32 »
Jari is absoluetly correct.  The Monkey Island games and Grim Fandango were all Lucas Arts.

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-06-24 04:30:35 »
Is there actually a person in this world who has never played Half-Life? Person who plays FPS', but has never played Half-Life? What is wrong with you?! :P What kind of a freak are you?! :-D

You really need to try them. Really really really. At least the latter, if the former looks bit too aged. They haven't gathered the trophies and Game of the Year-titles just because Sierra bribes people, but because they are actually really good.

Well, the biggest reason I never played any of the Half-Life series games is because I'm really not a PC gamer--this is mostly because my computer is crap, and while I'd have the resources to upgrade it or buy a new computer, I've just really never gotten around to it.

But that changed around this past April. I finally found a nice computer off Tiger Direct for a really good price, and just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I bought it, and things were gravy for awhile. And then I remembered that I had a quality gaming PC, and it instantly clicked that I remembered I wanted Doom 3. So, last week, I bought that (for an exceptionally good deal, too; I guess people can't handle the literal fiery computer requirements) and have been playing that since. This topic reminded me that the Half-Life series exists, and that I've heard good stuff about it. As soon as I can pull myself away from Doom, I'll definitely play that :-D.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-06-29 21:18:50 »
Quote from: zero88
Wow...I guess your follow-up explains it.

I'm really not a PC gamer...
Now that you got a decent system you should check out some of the classics they have made. Check here.  Next time do a search before posting something like that.  That's like asking, "Who the hell is id Software?"

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-07-02 04:45:46 »
Why does it matter who Sierra Entertainment is, of all companies to be discussed in this topic? Last I checked, it was about Sony and a petition and I'm one of the few people who have stated their opinion on the matter.

I don't appreciate you busting my balls about myself not knowing about Sierra Entertainment. Apparently I struck a gaming nerve within you. As I said, my computer fell out of the gaming capable range around 2000, and I've been out of the loop since (and I never touched Half-Life prior to then; FPS games weren't my forte when Half-Life came out).

:x

Sad Jari

« Reply #21 on: 2006-07-02 05:37:38 »
Awwwww. :-)

While I'm not Otokoshi, I think that I can answer this. It's about knowing your roots. Or rather, knowing the roots of gaming. We who have been around longer, don't take it too kindly when some - excuse me - n00b comes and proclaims something like:

...Not a huge corporate deity like Sony, I'm sure.
Displaying in one, swift blow that he doesn't know anything about gaming. Sorry for slight exaggeration there, but it's reasonably close. You could have stapled big "I'm ignorant Sony fanboy"-sign to your forehead, it would have accomplished pretty much the same thing. :P

And as for what knowing who Sierra is has to do with this topic; like someone said, the only case where petition has been ever known to work, happened with Sierra.

Don't take it too seriously, I think that nobody cares what you think of Sierra, or if you know what it is at all. It's just that we don't know what we should do with your opinion, when you obviously are not familiar with the context.

Anyway, Sierra's days of glory were well before 2000, and their forte was adventure games. We know that you are too young to have experienced most of Sierra's games when they came out, but that's not an excuse for not knowing who Sierra is.

And as a final thought; I think that for a large part people are just teasing you. Don't take it too seriously. :P

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006-07-02 06:02:17 »
Sierra also was responsible for quality entertainment such as Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, Caesar III, Leisure Suit Larry, and plenty more.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-07-08 01:54:28 »
I think Jari made a great explanation on my behalf.  Just to make things clear, I wasn't "busting your balls."  I even gave you a link to check out some of their great titles.  You didn't strike a "gaming nerve" with me either, any gamer should be made aware of great games of the past.  Sierra was responsible for many of these.

:x

No reason to get upset.  I know one's tone still can't be conveyed perfectly with written text.  Once again, I wasn't trying to "bust your balls."  ...ewww

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #24 on: 2006-07-19 17:00:38 »
I think Sierra actually might just be the publishing branch of Vivendi. As I try to recall Sierra games, I come up with games like Homeworld and Half-Life (developed by relic and Valve.) They also made Hellfire for original Diablo... that might have been in house development, but it really wouldn't have taken much.