Author Topic: FF7:AC  (Read 29706 times)

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
FF7:AC
« Reply #25 on: 2005-10-26 21:10:59 »
Have you got a spare few weeks to do that?

Modem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005-10-26 23:42:18 »
They did a decent job with Cloud's voice in Kingdom Hearts.  I think if they got the same actor to do the voiceover for the US release, it'll be decent.

But I'll likely only watch it in english once unless it's *REALLY* well done.

Jan 10th release according to amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMJG4Y/104-5554157-5083143?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #27 on: 2005-10-29 04:19:52 »
First off.. The reason why most dubbed (english) anime sucks is because of how they have to lengthen lines and such to fit the timing.. It really kills it .. Some are better than others, but nearly ALL dubs suffer from this..

Quote from: teH2SO4
Heh, why not just keep it with Japanese dubbing and watch it with subs? That way everyone's happy :) Unless of course, you're some sort of really English-patriotic idiot ;/

I don't think that patriotism has ANYTHING to do with liking anime that is dubbed in your own language. I hate watching English dubbed anime, but there are many people that are just too lazy to read, or don't care to read subtitles. Implying that just because they like anime that is dubbed into English does not make them an English-patriotic idiot..

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #28 on: 2005-10-29 05:41:19 »
i could  care less about animation or timing.. its jsut how things are pronoucned or how voices sound in english

teH2SO4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005-11-06 12:40:09 »
Heh Caddberry, no offence meant there, just a passing comment ;/ What I was trying to say is that people should just try and leave their "comfort zones" and appreciate the movie in the language it was intentionally made for, which is Japanese :P Sure, reading subs can be a bit of a lus, but you get used to it, especially if you've watched anime or foreign languages before...And it usually doesn't get in the way of the picture anymore (if you're watching in widescreen obviously)

Anyways, I have nothing against teh_english or those who speak it, I speak it as well :P

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #30 on: 2005-11-07 00:02:10 »
Quote from: teH2SO4
Heh Caddberry, no offence meant there, just a passing comment ;/ What I was trying to say is that people should just try and leave their "comfort zones" and appreciate the movie in the language it was intentionally made for, which is Japanese :P Sure, reading subs can be a bit of a lus, but you get used to it, especially if you've watched anime or foreign languages before...And it usually doesn't get in the way of the picture anymore (if you're watching in widescreen obviously)

Anyways, I have nothing against teh_english or those who speak it, I speak it as well :P

I didnt honestly take offence to what you wrote, but the way it came across I thought someone might. That's why I said what I did. I understand your point of view, but I know a lot of people on another anime forum that are die hard Dub fans.. Ok.. There is one.. But he still exists.. LoL Actually, I don't think he visits the forums anymore..

I just didnt want someone to get angry over what you said and start flaming.

There is too much tension on the net world lately.. When you use the word Patriot and idiot in the same sentence usually someone bites..

~_^

Either way.. No harm done.. Enjoy your stay here. ^_^

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005-11-07 03:31:28 »
Well, has it occured to anyone that japanese voice actors are "better" because, being a foriegn language, we can't tell whether or not they're doing a crappy job?

Btw, i HAVE heard they're going to make the character's lip movements synch to the english acting, and JUST got the last of the voice actors together like, in august.  So, it wont LOOK that bad at all =)

Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005-11-07 03:37:55 »
They did a good job with Cloud in Kindgom Hearts, so if they used that actor, Cloud wouldn't be a problem.

teH2SO4

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005-11-09 18:56:23 »
EmperorSteele, I don't know about other people, but by my definition of "better voice actors" I mean they do the job well, they convince you that you're actually hearing the character, not a voice actor. It's like the difference between an infomercial actor/actress and an oscar winning actor/actress...the oscar winning ones make you think you're watching the actual character, whereas informercial...well, let's just leave it at that.

Other than that, their voices carry very well-practised expressive tones that aren't monotonous...only drawback is that they can be slightly overdone, like Barret's voice :P

Oh, and Caddberry, maybe I haven't been online long enough, but that's how I've always known the online world to be :P always someone out there to get you and always someone ready to take offence :)

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005-11-10 12:21:57 »
Well to answer teH2SO4, I checked out the translation done by Jasconius.  I already have the Japanese DVD, so I just downloaded the subs and put them in a ripped version on my computer.  The translations get the job done.  I think Jasconius could have "Americanized" some of the translations.  Some statements seemed out of place and reminded the viewer they were watching a foreign film subtitled in english.  The best translators integrate the sayings and "lingos" of the language to almost make you forget you are watching a foreign film.

Of course Square Enix is always going to cater to the Asian market.  They are as big as Electronic Arts is in America.  The amount of people that line the streets and take off work for every game release is amazing.  Anyone see news coverage when Final Fantasy X-2 was released in Japan?  :P

Tiesto

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005-11-12 02:02:12 »
The way that reno and co talk with the "yo" that they say in parts is gonna sound wierd with american voice overs.  I agree that the japenese voice actors do a better job and with subs the film is great.

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2005-12-06 19:47:02 »
Quote from: Nighthawk
They did a good job with Cloud in Kindgom Hearts, so if they used that actor, Cloud wouldn't be a problem.

however, they used that girly voiced pansy from Nsync to play sephiroth, so i think they should get totally different voices.

ps. Mr.T for barrat all the way o/

APOSEIGd15

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005-12-06 23:53:08 »
Quote from: Almighty_gir
Quote from: Nighthawk

however, they used that girly voiced pansy from Nsync to play sephiroth, so i think they should get totally different voices.

ps. Mr.T for barrat all the way o/

actually i read somewhere that a lot of the cast will be from some people who voiced in kingdom hearts

Sephiroth2000

« Reply #38 on: 2005-12-07 04:08:43 »
Lucky there. I just hope they don't screw too much with the lines. In an anime (can't remember which) the Japanese subs said "I don't know, but it's coming, and coming fast" whilst the English voiceover said "It's coming!".
As long as they change nothing but the voices (and add some special features and stuff) I'm okay.

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005-12-08 06:39:15 »
I hate to ask this but can somebody tell me where to get some good subtitles for advent children from, the one's that came on my dvd (el'cheapo rip of ebay) are so shockingly bad.

"I don't know, but it's coming, and coming fast" whilst the English voiceover said "It's coming!".

Hmm, i remember that one as well but i cannot quite place it. I think it may be from beserk, the dub's in it were shocking they replaced whole sentences with just one word in some parts.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #40 on: 2005-12-11 07:18:46 »
i did say to pm me if peopel wanted a place to get a good quality AC...

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006-01-29 01:38:15 »
I'm not trying to revive an old thread but..

Personally, whether I prefer sub-titles or dubbing really depends on the medium and how well it's done. For instance, I really like 'DragonBall Z's' english dubbed versions to the japanese sub-titles because they are so well done. However, I also own and watch a lot of other anime that has english dubbing available, but I usuallyprefer the sub-titles. Usually that's because the english translation doesn't get the same quality of treatment that popular series, like DBZ, receive. Sometimes, companies focus too much on actual wording and not enough on properly conveying the emotions and ideas behind them.

Of course, sometimes ideas and jokes don't translate directly. So, forethought and a proper background in both cultures is nessesary to "fill the gap" in translation, so you don't have conversations being held with no translation at all.

Just my two cents...

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006-01-29 01:42:41 »
Actually by reviving that your reviving two topics, we already had a lond discussion about subs in the anime thread. Which has since been pushed off the unrealated section.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006-01-29 04:38:54 »
Well, since it has been revived, and the unrealated post has been deleted...
I personally agree with RW_66, because I find that the English translations sometimes block out some of the lesser details. As for the  language slangs, if you really wanted to know you could always find out, but by then it wouldn't matter... Also I don't know why, but whenever I hear English vs Japanese on the same anime, the English just sounds... crappier. If you have watched Fullmetal Alchemist you would know what I mean. The American voice actors generally sound whinier in the children's section, and sometimes too deep when they are in adults. However Japanese voice actors are not faultless either. Generally many sound the same (Barret and Cid, maybe same voice-actor), they are not different enough to me. But thats probably because I haven't been exposed enough to the Japanese language.

usman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006-01-30 17:31:36 »
Well, I got and have seen the movie in Japanese and its Great :) If anyone want the movie I may try to arrange it for you.

Thanks

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006-01-30 19:08:40 »
Just saw FF7:AC myself, with my japanese friend translating for me.

It's a very interesting story. I just hope they do a good job 'localizing' the translation for North America, because I'll probably be buying it  8) . Still, did anybody else notice the DBZ-ish fighting styles?

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006-01-30 21:04:58 »
Quote from: RW_66
Still, did anybody else notice the DBZ-ish fighting styles?

If you mean the fast martial arts combat, that predates Dragonball Z. :)  Yeah I did like the combat, especially the way they incorporated certain aspects of it.  I'm being vague to prevent any spoilers, I hate it when I find those.

Quote from: usman
Well, I got and have seen the movie in Japanese and its Great  If anyone want the movie I may try to arrange it for you.

I'm sure if someone wanted a pirated copy, they could easily use a Sile Fharing Client or FitTorrent to get it.  Posting it on this forum is just plain shady and attracts unwanted attention.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006-01-30 22:38:51 »
Ah I did not think that the style was like Dragon Ball Z. Dragonball Z is with people yelling kamihamiha, and fusion. The style to me was more of The Matrix to me they dressed in the same colors (black if you didn't know) and the fighting was slowed like Bullet-Time. Also Otokoshi, people are commenting on the movie I doubt anyone would have not watched it and then come here, unless if they were looking for comments and a few spoilers, then again maybe not... ?? :isee: ?? hmm...

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006-01-30 23:02:43 »
If you mean the fast martial arts combat, that predates Dragonball Z.

I wasn't nesessarily refering to the pace or technique as much as the drawn out, over-the-top aerial battles. Personally I thought they were a little TOO fast (they should have used more motion blurring in their sequences), though I noticed some very Matrix-like 'bullet time' cuts in it (can't deny the Wachowski brothers their contribution to film-making).

Well, I got and have seen the movie in Japanese and its Great  If anyone want the movie I may try to arrange it for you.

And thank you for raising the price of all LEGAL copies that might be sold here in NA. I hope your HD crashes, and your video card frys. People like you are the reason all these companies are going to such extreme measures (AND COST) to protect their LEGAL RIGHTS AND PROPERTY.

Just because you own/have access to a computer does not give you the right to take(STEAL) software and files (PROPERTY) that you have not PAID for. That's point blank, period, and straight to the point. Just because it's available and YOU don't have to pay for it, doesn't make it legal or right.

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006-01-31 00:30:38 »
though I noticed some very Matrix-like 'bullet time' cuts in it (can't deny the Wachowski brothers their contribution to film-making).

You have heard of john woo havent you?(I hope ive got the name correct  :erm:  ) everything in the matrix has been done before, bullet trails, slow motion and even those cool little bits where they flick the gun up with their foot. It was the story that was original, but even then alot of it was influenced by anime and various other stuff.

Want some john woo action? My favourite john woo thing would have to be the john woo cheat in AVP, it gets slower and slower for each monster that is near and also explosions.

btw, this may interest a few of you, i had just come out of the sydney art musium when they were filming the helecopter scenes in the matrix, we sat down the bottom and watched them flying around. It was pretty cool seeing the helecopters flying around close to the buildings. We didn't have a clue what the hell they were doing at the time.