Author Topic: Old one: Enemies in wrong places  (Read 4863 times)

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
Old one: Enemies in wrong places
« on: 2008-05-09 22:22:28 »
I know we've had this a lot of times and I already searched it multiple times in these forums but I don't seem to get a clear answer. Ive been using Scenester, Hojo, Teioh and a Hex Editor for over a half year and up to now everything worked perfectly. However, now the enemies of the sunken plane seem to appear on the corel train where the smoggers and the red Iron Giant should be encountered.

Everytime I found something that was related to this problem, I only found someone writing: Bugs fixed two posts below. Can someone tell me exactly why this happens? Can it occur because of hex editing or because of Scenester/Hojo? Is there any hint on how to fix it? I please need clear instructions since I boosted my WHOLE game up to this moment(including every single enemy, weapon, armor or boss) with hex and thats been a blast and I can't just undo what I did last cause it could be everything from the 1st reactor up to Jenova Death. I would HATE :evil: to delete my whole changings just for that. Thx for your advices :-)

Terid__K

Re: Old one: Enemies in wrong places
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-10 07:25:04 »
Somewhere on this forum, there's a tool called ff7StoK (You'll have to look for it, as I don't have the link saved). It's purpose is to avoid this specific issue that you are running into after modifying the Scene.bin file.

You need to decompile the kernel.bin file to the same folder of the ff7StoK executable. When you run the tool, it will update the information on the kernel.bin2 file (One of the compiled files inside the kernel.bin).

After that, all you have to do is compile it again and replace your kernel.bin file with this new one. You have to do this every time you edit anything in the Scene.bin file. I can confirm that it works like a charm.

BTW, use ff7gzip to decompile/compile the bin files.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-05-10 10:53:43 »
Ok thx a lot I got the program and of course I know how to decompile the kernel but somehow I cant get it working....I have all the kernel files, scene.bin and ff7StoK in the same folder. I tried it via the command prompt and it told me the usage: ff7StoK [NameOfScene.bin] [NameOfUnpacked3rdKernel.binFile] so twould be: ff7StoK scene.bin kernel.bin2 wouldnt it? Doesnt seem to work cause whenever I type this in, nothing happens, not even an error message occurs. Also tried different versions of this one and I changing the whole kernel.bin file doesnt seem to work either.....have a clue?

PS: of course i first read the whole thread about ff7StoK but they only describe how to decompile the kernel.....
« Last Edit: 2008-05-10 11:03:51 by The Black-caped Man »

Terid__K

« Reply #3 on: 2008-05-10 11:55:00 »
Are you sure it didn't work? Check the date the kernel.bin2 file was last modified. Because the program doesn't show a message of conclusion, as far as I can remember.

It worked fine for me, and I had all files in the same folder. You don't need to use cmd, just double click the executable.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-05-10 12:07:29 »
Doulbe-klicking doesnt work either.....and btw what does it matter when the kernel.bin2 file was modified?

Terid__K

« Reply #5 on: 2008-05-10 13:15:46 »
Because if it shows the exact time which you used the exe, it means that it worked.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-05-10 21:33:41 »
should I receive any message after double-klicking the exe?

Terid__K

« Reply #7 on: 2008-05-11 07:35:29 »
I don't remember receiving any when I used it. I just used it and the file was updated without any warning. But it's important to check the date it was modified just to be sure.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-05-11 11:18:04 »
Omg thx man :-) It worked all the time but since I didnt get any message or even any reaction when double-klicking I thought it failed.....well now I can finally continue editing

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: 2008-05-12 11:14:43 »
Isn't there a simple kernel.bin updater in Hojo?

And just for the laughs... It took me ages to figure this out. When I realized what caused it I smacked my forehead so hard I can feel it today.