Author Topic: FFVII: Any way to make spells consume HP?  (Read 4283 times)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
FFVII: Any way to make spells consume HP?
« on: 2011-11-03 05:01:28 »
I know it is a longshot, but I have to ask.  I am developing the skills for physical type classes in my Job Class kernel mod, and I was just wondering if there is a way to make spells consume HP.  This sounds like another "Well yes its possible, but you'd have to do this ridiculous and complicated thing", so I won't get my hopes up.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: FFVII: Any way to make spells consume HP?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-11-03 12:19:38 »
This sounds like another "Well yes its possible, but you'd have to do this ridiculous and complicated thing", so I won't get my hopes up.

This

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-11-03 15:08:44 »
Can't you just have the spell attack the caster and cause damage?
You can already cast spells on yourself.
There are limit breaks that attack multiple enemies, each with a different attack.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2011-11-03 15:33:25 »
But you can't target a group of enemies and one player character at the same time. It's either all of one side, one character, or everyone. You can't tell an attack to target a player character at the end of that attack either (I don't think). Give it a try, but I doubt it.

msifreakster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-11-03 16:03:22 »
Im not a modder myself so I am not sure how everything works. But would it be possible to make materia that would do just that? Or would that be very difficult? It sounds to me like it would be very difficult.

EDIT: If you had the spells attacking the caster as well then it would be possible to take advantage of that and negate the damage or even absorb it, especially if they were elemental.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-03 16:05:06 by msifreakster »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-11-03 16:43:02 »
It would be very difficult.  You are talking about rewriting the game.  I don't know how many times I have to say that  :evil:  :P

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
FFVII: Combining 'Restorative' element with other elements
« Reply #6 on: 2011-11-03 18:24:10 »
But you can't target a group of enemies and one player character at the same time. It's either all of one side, one character, or everyone. You can't tell an attack to target a player character at the end of that attack either.

Yeah.  Oh well. Not a huge deal, just would have been nice.

New Question:  If I make a spell with the 'Restorative' element, and another element, let's say 'Water', can I expect that Weaknesses and Resistances will be applied to the formula?  What I mean is...if I have a character with an armor that absorbs 'Water' elemental spells, and I use this Water/Restore spell on him, will it hurt him?  If the armor nullifies Water, will it heal him 0?  If it halves Water, will it heal him half as much? 

I guess this isn't very useful because I was hoping to Double the effect of certain Restorative Spells based on equipment, but that would involve making the character Weak to a certain element, which is something I can't do with equipment.

How does 'Regen' status work?  Could I make an elemental 'Regen', or does the 'Regen' status ignore such things?  I suspect it does.  Another fruitless series of ideas :(
« Last Edit: 2011-11-03 18:28:00 by xLostWingx »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 2011-11-03 18:34:16 »
Technically, you can make the spell hit the entire party but make everyone but the one it should hit immune to the effect
this is pretty easily do-able if you use an element ( like punch ) and make all but one immune to it for the attack. Just watch out that no enemy uses that element

you people lack creativity :p

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-11-03 18:49:35 »
Nice!  Good idea.  I can use that.

Shout Element should work.  If anyone knows of any enemy attacks that use the Shout element, please let me know.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-03 21:30:36 by xLostWingx »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-11-03 19:38:02 »
Or tweak the AI to make the caster sustain damage after a magic done by him/her/it. You get the point :)

pacito-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-11-03 20:28:34 »
So you want a drain spell, that costs 0mp, but that damages the caster instead of healing? I think its very doable :P. As to how to inverse the drain effect I have no idea.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-11-03 20:51:07 »
Or tweak the AI to make the caster sustain damage after a magic done by him/her/it. You get the point :)

Can I make this happen only when the character casts a specific spell?  With the Damage All solution, the attack will have to damage all the enemies.  It would be nice if AI tweaking could let me have a spell that attacks only one enemy.  It might help if you tell you that the two spells I had in mind were a 'Darkside' type attack (FF8 style) and a 'Self-Destruct' type attack.  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-11-04 02:10:37 »
Can you set a counter attack to always target the attacker?
The initial attack could damage the casting character and trigger a counter attack that targets the enemy.
That way, the caster would lose the HP before initiating the actual attack.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-11-04 07:23:53 »
the author of the Rebirth mod made an enemy skill called "blood magic", try asking him.