Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII - VI mod / Idea presentation / 3D Gogo  (Read 14794 times)

Rayved

• It ain't easy being cheesy
    • View Profile
I'm surprised to see no one ever thought of doing 3D characters of the older Final Fantasy games to be playable in FF7. So that's why I started doing this project. It would be nice if some good modelers and texturers could join me. Here's what I got so far.

Not sure how it'll work out once broken in pieces for FF7 to work with it but this should be a good start.

So, anyone wanna join? It would be awesome to later implement the FF6 battle system :) but that's just a crazy idea for now.

Also, it would be nice to have some comments to see if people would actually like that.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-11 15:13:04 by Rayved »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: Final Fantasy VII - VI mod / Idea presentation / 3D Gogo
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-11 15:31:39 »
I think it would be amazing.  :)

FF7 never gets tiresome, but it would be equally nice to have this site expand into other games.

Can I feature this on a YT video to help promote?

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-11 15:32:57 »
sure man!

Lazy Bastard

• I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-11 21:07:14 »
Quite cool.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-12 00:44:51 »
A project like this would take a lot of work, i believe, hence why no one ever tried it.
Good luck tho, i would love to see it.

In a long future we could even see a total FF6 remake. :P

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #5 on: 2012-09-12 00:50:41 »

I truly wish for this!!!

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-09-12 02:32:10 »

That would be a dream come true. But if I get enough supporters we might be able to do it :P
Anyway right now my goal is just to have FF6 characters. Modeling ain't hard at all, once I finish some personal stuff I'll complete Gogo and get on a new one. Probably Edgar.

archerxtreme

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-09-12 15:50:58 »
I simply gotta wonder why FF6 is not available on psn? i just registered myself a US account and found FF7, FF5, FF8

The Indian account has FF 1 and FF5....

granted game play is SD but it still looks good. better than my old ps1...dunno how that thing is still working....

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #8 on: 2012-09-12 16:07:18 »
I already own ff6 for ps3.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-09-12 16:49:57 »
I already own ff6 for ps3.
Maybe we could take Final Fantasy VII, and use its engine to create a Final Fantasy VI re-make. Q-Gears, when it is finished, may help make this possible.

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-09-12 17:07:18 »
Maybe we could take Final Fantasy VII, and use its engine to create a Final Fantasy VI re-make. Q-Gears, when it is finished, may help make this possible.

That would be really cool. I've just started coming here this week and I just read about Q-gear earlier today. I really like what's going on on this forum.
My appreciation for the final fantasy series is being reborn again! (after dying because of XII and XIII)

I wonder if the whole Q-gear project is really worth it though. Wouldn't it be simpler to just take an already existing engine with lots of compatibility like Unity?
« Last Edit: 2012-09-12 17:24:54 by Rayved »

ajthedj747

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-09-13 07:44:16 »
That would be really cool. I've just started coming here this week and I just read about Q-gear earlier today. I really like what's going on on this forum.
My appreciation for the final fantasy series is being reborn again! (after dying because of XII and XIII)

I wonder if the whole Q-gear project is really worth it though. Wouldn't it be simpler to just take an already existing engine with lots of compatibility like Unity?
Hello @Rayved,
Let me start by giving my personal welcome to you for this forum:

Welcome!

I may be able to answer your question with my opinion. UNITY seems to be meant for games that resemble the following:

The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim, Little Big Planet series, Dungeon & Dragons - Baldur's Gate Series and Starcraft.

Q-Gears on the other hand is designed for two purposes:

1. Fully functional 3D environment version of Final Fantasy VII

2. Scrolling album of images of famous females from Japan

I could be wrong, yet this is just my biased opinion.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 2012-09-13 11:18:03 »
Here we go again. I talked about this with Covarr just yesterday.
So many people wish / want / start / dream of projects that essentially equal hundreds and thousands of hours of work ( recreating ff6 ) and start on it but give up relatively soon.
It would be much better if you finished something small first, then move on to slightly bigger. Simply because it takes time to get used to that mountain of work.

"Corvar"? I don't think so. ~Covarr
« Last Edit: 2012-09-13 14:50:54 by Covarr »

cirellio

• View Profile
    • Five Rings
« Reply #13 on: 2012-09-13 13:21:43 »
So ... did you render Gogo as *ahem* male or female?

ajthedj747

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-09-13 13:56:56 »
So many people wish / want / start / dream of projects that essentially equal hundreds and thousands of hours of work ( recreating ff6 ) and start on it but give up relatively soon.
It would be much better if you finished something small first, then move on to slightly bigger. Simply because it takes time to get used to that mountain of work.
Thanks, I shall keep that in mind.

Sincere apologies to @Covarr for his name being misspelled by two other members.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-13 17:49:33 by ajthedj747 »

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012-09-13 17:40:45 »

"Corvar"? I don't think so. ~Covarr

Well if you read my first post. The only project here is to create FF6 characters to play with in FF7. The FF6 recreation project is just an idea like that.

As for Unity, I think we can create any type of games with it. There are a lot of side scrollers and wiiware games created with this. I'm gonna look into it for my own personal reasons, don't want to destroy your work with Q-Gear. Then again, Unity is so big that having an engine specially made for RPGs in the the likes of FF7-8-9 would be a lot more favorable in the end for users like me.

ajthedj747

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-09-13 17:46:42 »
Then again, Unity is so big that having an engine specially made for RPGs in the the likes of FF7-8-9 would be a lot more favorable in the end for users like me.
Amen to that. :-)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-09-13 19:40:39 »
Unity can make pretty much any game you can think of. It can render pretty much however you want, in 2D or 3D, in first person or 3rd Person cameras, and with whatever game rules, controls, and other stuff you might wanna do.

Q-Gears has the distinct goal of being able to play FF7 from the original data files. Most of the work that goes in it is not into things like rendering, but into reading and reverse engineering FF7's data (as well as other Squaresoft PSX engines). While it will also be much easier to make an entirely new game than by just modding ff7 into something different, that is not its most immediate purpose.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 2012-09-13 20:00:58 »
Well if you read my first post. The only project here is to create FF6 characters to play with in FF7. The FF6 recreation project is just an idea like that.

As for Unity, I think we can create any type of games with it. There are a lot of side scrollers and wiiware games created with this. I'm gonna look into it for my own personal reasons, don't want to destroy your work with Q-Gear. Then again, Unity is so big that having an engine specially made for RPGs in the the likes of FF7-8-9 would be a lot more favorable in the end for users like me.

that was directed at mr. commentator, not at you.
Having FF6 characters could not only replace the goddamn cait robot but also act as secret bosses very well.

inb4 people get their panties in a yiffy all over again because calling someone "mr. commentator" is "being a dick". christ, you need to chillax.
it's simply a stating of facts with a little hyperbole. it's called exaggeration for comical effect.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-13 20:05:09 by KuugenTheFox »

ajthedj747

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-09-13 20:28:37 »
Sigh. At least I was able to leave my old, stressful job a month ago. Now I have a new form of stress to put up with.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 2012-09-13 20:33:51 »
Just don't feel compelled to have to reply to everything people say? it'll take a lot of stress off your back.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #21 on: 2012-09-13 21:46:44 »
@ajthedj747 "Tai Chi" helps a lot to stress relief. Do not let it take over.

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-09-13 23:01:49 »
Everything's cool man. We all agree. FF7 is awesome. Period.

Edit: I got a question. Does FF7 support alpha maps with Aali's plugin?

Edit 2: Here's some progress

Edit 3: Should I make him look more like Amano's artworks or do you guys prefer him with the original colors from the game?
« Last Edit: 2012-09-14 02:54:49 by Rayved »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: 2012-09-14 13:34:11 »
make it more like the artwork. the game was limited in what it could display after all.
we're not quite so much limited.

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-09-14 14:49:51 »
I sort of agree. Amano's artwork is great, but why don't you collaborate with a good graphic designer and work out some sort of semi-realistic more saturated version of the game's model? FFVII isn't the most vibrant of games in the world so if don't think using the exact same colours as IV would work very well once imported.