Author Topic: Yaz0r has shut down! :(  (Read 16872 times)

ultima espio

• View Profile
Yaz0r has shut down! :(
« on: 2007-07-14 17:15:55 »
http://www.yaz0r.net/

No more waiting for a cerberus model viewer :cry:

nope

• nope
    • View Profile
Re: Yaz0r has shut down! :(
« Reply #1 on: 2007-07-14 19:49:34 »
Does anyone know why it shut down in the first place? Was there too many "fair use" models posted?

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-07-15 03:50:16 »
Quote from: yaz0r (from Comments section)
If you want to know, I wasn't contacted by square-enix or anything. But I feel that the viewer is becoming a touchy subject and I honestly don't want to have legal issues.

For my next projects, I have a few things in mind, but nothing really decided yet.

I guess you could take that response with a grain of salt, whether he was contacted by a developer or not.  Either way I see his reason for stopping.  He's a talented programmer probably looking to move into some type of software development and these hacking tools give him the risk of legal action, with no benefit to him.

yongkykun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-07-15 05:13:11 »
OMG!!! How can I find KHDump and other dumper?? Can anyone help me? If anyone has khdump, could you please mail it to me at [email protected]? thanks a lot.

taarna23

• View Profile
    • Papercrafter's Haven
« Reply #4 on: 2007-07-16 17:21:47 »
Well, if anyone has the FFXII dumper, then I'll have the complete set, including older viewers. I'll get to uploading them a little later...

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-07-17 12:02:09 »
Does anyone know why it shut down in the first place? Was there too many "fair use" models posted?

fair use is a myth as far as intelectual property goes...

well, it is in the games industry anyway. i got slapped with a C&D just for modeling sephiroth and cloud for hl2 haha. i dread to think what developers could do to someone who helps people illegally reverse engineer their games.

Jari

« Reply #6 on: 2007-07-17 12:58:12 »
fair use is a myth as far as intelectual property goes...

well, it is in the games industry anyway. i got slapped with a C&D just for modeling sephiroth and cloud for hl2 haha.

Two noteworthy things; 1) fair use - in the case of a parody for example - allows use of IP as a part of new work, within certain rules. At least I don't see making - and even less converting - models to another game as new work. The entire model is based on existing IP after all. 2) Anyone can send a cease and desist, they do not need to have actual case. Because let's face it; how many hobbyists are willing to go to court just to prove that the big guy is using scare tactics? Not very many, and that's why it works.

arty

« Reply #7 on: 2007-07-18 05:05:42 »
Are you kidding me, i decided to go pick up the FF12 viewer just a few days too late! I can't believe this bad luck  :-o The X-X2 one was an invaluable source of learning for my 3d modeling, and just today I started looking at ff12 and thinking "hmm i could learn even more from some of these".

Is there anyone who would like to share the FF12 tool?  Please send me a PM if so! I have held on to an older version of the X/X2 one incidentally and will gladly make a torrent if anyone is interested. Let's band together and preserve the hard work he put into these useful things!
« Last Edit: 2007-07-18 05:11:17 by arty »

taarna23

• View Profile
    • Papercrafter's Haven
« Reply #8 on: 2007-07-18 09:04:31 »
Uploading as I type are, I believe, all the tools yaz0r made that one could need. In this upload are...

FFXdumper
FFXview (old program)
FF12dumper
KHdump 0.1
KHdump 0.2
KHview (old program)
KH2dump
Model Viewer WX (newer multi-format viewer)

There's also an archive of all of the above tools.

Here's some basic tool instruction, but I am by no means an expert, or to be contacted for support.

FFXdumper: You need to make an ISO of the FFX or FFX-2 game disc and use the program from the command line.
KH2dump: Alter the kh2dump.bat to point to your disc drive, put the KH2 disc in and run the bat with the exe in the same folder.

Downloads can all be found here:
http://papercraftershaven.charsisforge.org/mdltools/

arty

« Reply #9 on: 2007-07-18 11:19:43 »
Awesome many thanks!  8-)

I'm having a problem opening the files though, i made the ISO, extracted the .raws from FF12, but when i try to open any of them in the multiviewer i get a load error and it crashes  :cry: Was this a documented problem with some kind of workaround or known cause? Anyone know? i'm using windows 2000, with directx 9, Nvidia Quadro 4 card, and pentium4 processor, if that means anything.

Thanks to google i was able to scrounge up this scrap from one of his entries : "Just a note. It's a rewritten viewer, and for the momment only supports D3D9 grade hardware (I targeted a Geforce6) and cpu with SSE/SSE2. Sorry about that, I'll try to make a more compatible build soon."

Did he never get around to making it able to run on any kind of system? Is that why I'm having the problem?
« Last Edit: 2007-07-19 02:11:54 by arty »