Author Topic: Hardest games you've ever played?  (Read 51425 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Hardest games you've ever played?
« Reply #75 on: 2011-06-19 23:03:16 »
None of them were too hard.  It made the game great and nemesis is as easy as pie (seriously when you get levelled up with the grid you are taking 99999 HP a hit multiple times with your characters and with a speed of 255 you are doing it a lot).  Penance is the harder one.  Once you learn the grid it becomes much easier, and that chocobo game was great fun and a challenge.  The whole game was geared for a challenge and I prefer that to it being easy.

If you really want a game that is difficult try getting 1st on all the special missions in MSG1 and 2.  That's hard.  I have completed everything there is to do on X and it was very satisfying.  I would have prefered ffx make it even harder in a lot more areas.

What we really need is a difficulty option, that way the crap gamers (no offence) can't whine :P
« Last Edit: 2011-06-19 23:05:19 by DLPB »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2011-06-19 23:07:50 »
Being new to the game, no it wasnt hard, yes challenging, but difficulty is relevant.
The things you mention may be valid for your arguement, but I dont think everyone sees it this way.

Yeah dodging 200 lightning strikes is a challenge, which consists of 200 single button presses...
I think we mean difficulty more in terms of the strategy and mechanics involved in battle...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2011-06-19 23:16:30 »
Oh I agree the lightning strikes thing was a bit over the top and I prefer clever difficulty.  The cloister of trials and destruction spheres provided that although it needed to be harder.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2011-06-20 00:02:27 »
Every game is hard for a newbie. Every game is easy for someone who has beat it at least twice. A game can be easy and fun (VIII for me) or easy and bad (II for me) , yet hard and fun (X for me) or even hard and bad (I for me, until I decided to replay it)

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2011-06-20 02:21:11 »
Are you kidding me!?  Chocobo Catcher Race, The Butterfly Hunts and dodging 200 Lightning Strikes in a row!? Not to mention the challenge events, with bosses (Nemesis)exceeding over 10 MILLION HP!!!??? With the ability to heal!? In fact just a quick search results in a billions angry fans fustrated and convinced that this cannot be done.

I doubt any new person to the Final Fantasy series would consider this game easy...or "not hard".

well the 200 lightning strikes, chocobo race and butterfly hunts (this one especialy) are more "annoying" then "hard"

also Nemesis isn't rly anything special (At least when compared with some other secret bosses from other FF's) infact, once u max out stats, most fights can be won by just using Hyper Mighty G and spamming Quick Hit

sure a new player will have troubles with those, but an average gamer won't have any issues IMO.

Oh I agree the lightning strikes thing was a bit over the top and I prefer clever difficulty.  The cloister of trials and destruction spheres provided that although it needed to be harder.

haha i gotta admit, i got stuck for like 1 week (around 1-2 hours gameplay per day) on Zanarkand temple trying to figure where the hell was the secret treasure.. only to have a friend telling me that u can only get it later in the game lol

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2011-06-20 17:23:06 »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES.  Never finished it without cheating.  Same applies to Snake rattle and roll -  NES

that reminds me, when i was like 10. I got all the way to the final form of shredder in TMNT after countless failed attempts, and then my brother and I ran out of lives and had to start from the beginning! I have never beat that game since. Ah just thinking about it gets my blood boiling hahaha

Raestloz

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2011-06-20 17:43:15 »
X wasn't "way too hard", it was a welcome change with those sidequests from the piss easy ones we usually get with FF games.
The first time I meet Dark Shiva, the thing moved 3 times in a row, each dealing 9999 damage. I never wasted my time trying for the past 4 years

They went from one extreme to another

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2011-06-20 17:49:18 »
which is why you need to max out the sphere grid and get an armor with the "break hp limit" ability before taking on those dark aeons. Fortunately for me, there wasn't even any point in doing this since I only had the American version which didn't have the dark aeons or Nemisis. Still had the battle arena but that got boring quick, especially since without the special international side quests some of the items to make these battles feasible were an absolute pain to get a hold of. I remember grinding like hell thinking omega weapon at the end of that secret cave (can't remember the name right now) would be a challenge. I killed it in the first hit with wakka and I just started laughing uncontrollably. It was some internet research and a few hours later that I realized I should have bought the international version.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2011-06-20 18:05:51 »
None of them were too hard. What we really need is a difficulty option, that way the crap gamers (no offence) can't whine :-P

Anybody that thinks getting the entire sphere grid, plus maxed out stats, PLUS a specific skill set, all just to beat one monster is "not hard" is crazy. Us "crap" gamers are picky. I was just trying to point out it was one of the harder FF games :P

Plus there lightning thing was out of control frustrating :( I don't recall having any issue on any FF game like this...

EDIT: I was also not commenting on the "hardest game ever" I was merely commenting on "my take on the Final Fantasy Series". You seem to think 10 was easy, I seem to think it was one of the harder Final Fantasy games, who is right? it's all subjective. But to call me a crap gamer cause I disagree with you is a bit much. But I know the rules of Qhimm, disagree with seifer and get labeled. A poor way to make a point on his part. But this is how it is now and shall always be :P.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-20 18:22:50 by Mako »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2011-06-20 18:51:43 »
I think the fundamental difference here is that DLPB is grinding a lot more than Mako. FFX is a game which is fairly hard if you don't grind, but ridiculously easy if you grind that much. What's more, grinding isn't difficult, just boring and tedious. A typical player will not grind that much. When I play RPGs, for example, I always fight every enemy in my way unless I'm really low on health and in a hurry to get to the next inn/Pokémon center/magical healing cutscene, but I virtually never go out of my way to FIND additional enemies for experience unless I find myself underpowered and unable to continue at my current strength.

The problem is that too many RPGs, FFX included, essentially treat grinding as a time-consuming cheat code. All you have to do is the same damn thing repeatedly for twelve hours straight to be essentially invincible. It's not tough at all, except on the attention span, and the only real challenge to the game is one of patience. If a player is more focused on the story and wants to get quickly to what happens next, he likely WILL find himself having more trouble as a result.

One game that surprised me and got this aspect astonishingly correct is Pokémon Black/White. Yeah, the games are way on the easy side, but they also severely gimped grinding, by not only increasing the amount of experience needed at higher levels, but reducing the experience gained for battles where the player has a level advantage. When grinding is giving ~1exp per battle, the player pretty much has no choice but to advance the story and continue to an area with more difficult battles, rather than grinding forever and having an army of Lv100's before the game's halfway point.

I'd love to see other, more difficult games take this stance on grinding. It probably won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2011-06-20 19:29:02 »
Well it wasn't all about grind in ffx, you had to do the sidequests before you could beat ANY of the harder creatures.  You had to customise to break the HP limits.  It wasn't ALL sphere grid grinding and you certainly didn't need to get anywhere near filling it to beat nemesis.

It just took dedication and some grinding as well as doing the numerous side quests.  I don't think it is fair saying a game is too hard before completing numerous tasks that have to be done to defeat those enemies.  And defeating those enemies and doing those quests is purely optional so I see it as a necessity that they are criminally hard to do (which I didn't find X's to be on the whole).

MGS1,2 and BOF3 had a better difficulty based around a more puzzle testing ability.  It is all good but some of us want a game to last and to test us in varous ways.  It is optional if you want to go that far but

if you make the game easy, you force ALL OF US to take the game easy.

The first time I meet Dark Shiva, the thing moved 3 times in a row, each dealing 9999 damage. I never wasted my time trying for the past 4 years

They went from one extreme to another

It is called maxing out your speed stat which is very easy in X.  That's the test.  She has huge Speed stat so you need it as well.  Why on Titan are you whinging that an optional creature is difficult?  Teh dark aeons and penance are for the dedicated grinder, the other creatures and quests are for those who like to to have fun and don't want to grind.

You get an option, I fail to see what people have against the word OPTION.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-20 19:40:28 by DLPB »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2011-06-20 19:40:19 »

good point :D

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2011-06-20 19:50:10 »
Well it does irk me when I hear "Those big ass super bosses I don't need to beat were big ass super bosses!!!"

I don't go to a bank and complain that people seem to be dealing in lots of money and that I don't seem to be able to get much of it.   8-)

I had a better analogy but let's leave it at that.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-20 19:53:41 by DLPB »

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2011-06-20 20:14:06 »
Well it wasn't all about grind in ffx
Nobody said it was...

didn't need to get anywhere near filling it to beat nemesis.
A mostly maxed out player is still needed, but this is invalid. As it still requires a grind.

It just took dedication and some grinding as well as doing the numerous side quests.
Agreed, Much grinding in fact :-P .

I don't think it is fair saying a game is too hard before completing numerous tasks that have to be done to defeat those enemies.
This statement less then makes sense :-( . Are the enemies and side quests not included in the game? Have I been givin' a copy that has them bundled up?! I'm goin' to ebay :-P The game is tedious and challenging, I found it more so then the other Final Fantasy games. So far you haven't named any others that may be debatable. In stead your argument can be summed up with a few words "No it's not".

MGS1,2 and BOF3 had a better difficulty based around a more puzzle testing ability.
Agreed, though I do not remember much puzzles in BoF3...but that doesn't have much to do with my rank of FFX being harder then other games in the series. +2 points for being on topic.  :?:
if you make the game easy, you force ALL OF US to take the game easy.
Not bold letters!! stating the absolute obvious. That's it! You're right FFX is the easiest game there is.

It is called maxing out your speed stat which is very easy in X.  That's the test.
Is it now? Figured that out in your FIRST playthrough did ya? You are a god amongst men.
Why on Titan are you whinging that an optional creature is difficult?  Teh dark aeons and penance are for the dedicated grinder, the other creatures and quests are for those who like to to have fun and don't want to grind.
I gotta say, you are the easiest person to debate things with in the world! You make my point better then I could. You mean to tell me the game gets HARDER! WOW. I may have to bump it up the list. Please continue.

I don't have a problem with that, I have a problem with you calling me a crappy gamer :-P

All your points are null and void. please try again :?:

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2011-06-20 20:40:27 »
Looks like someone is annoyed that common sense is prevailing.  As for speed stat, well yes, it would be rather obvious given that if your enemy is having tons of goes it stands to reason your speed stat is low...

[let's do it by way of sarcasm since you gave me some. >  HMmmmmmmmmm  I seem to be getting my arsed ripped apart by a super monster which is having tons of goes.. GEEE I WONDER WHY THAT COULD BE?]

Not hard to work it out either that a super boss will require a ton of grinding.  Nemesis hardly required any.  It did require optimisations, equipment optimisations, and to finish the side quests.  If you don;t want to actually, you know, play the game, then don't complain when the game doesn't want to play you.

It boils down to 1 fact really, super bosses are called super bosses for a reason.  FFX was not hard for me (aside from Penance).  It may have been hard for you.  Guess what... stop complaining because no one told you you had to do it.  You should have killed jecht and gone to bed.

Anyway I gather you didn't get the harder stuff in NA so looks like square has also had enough of your whinging :P hahaha  :lol:
« Last Edit: 2011-06-20 20:54:18 by DLPB »

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2011-06-20 20:48:10 »
Devil May Cry 3 is still one of my PS2 games i wasn't able to finish, sadly.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #91 on: 2011-06-20 20:50:40 »
Just like to remind people that I'd prefer not to spend the rest of this evening on this thread, watching for a flamewar.

Keep it civil.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2011-06-20 20:55:38 »
Looks like someone is annoyed that common sense is prevailing.
It is to bad it's not in your favor.

Not hard to work it out either that a super boss will require a ton of grinding.  Nemesis hardly required any.  It did require optimisations, equipment optimisations, and to finish the side quests.
A beginner would not know to optimise for a boss he or she did not meet yet. Even if they did it would require a whole replacement of the sphere grid to do so. This does not help with the side quests though.

I re read your posts, no common sense can be found. Fortunately for you I have plenty to go around! Your arguments are very puzzling... you have offered nothing but "it's not hard" and nothing to back it up besides telling us that there are harder bosses that can be found in the game!

If you don;t want to actually, you know, play the game, then don't complain when the game doesn't want to play you.

I cannot decipher this statement, please rephrease your pointless insults, so that they may someday prove your point.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #93 on: 2011-06-20 21:07:02 »
I am not in a good mood.

Pray, do not make it worse.

And for the love of god stop sniping at one another. It's embarrassing.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-20 21:11:45 by Bosola »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2011-06-20 21:19:35 »
Don;t worry bosola I've done, enjoy the rest of your day.  Mako, learn to stop whinging that super bosses are.. super bosses.  :P
It may have been hard for you.  Guess what... stop complaining because no one told you you had to do it.  You should have killed jecht and gone to bed.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-20 21:21:10 by DLPB »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #95 on: 2011-06-20 21:23:26 »
Sigh...

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2011-06-20 21:23:31 »
Don;t worry bosola I've done, enjoy the rest of your day.  Mako, learn to stop whinging that super bosses are.. super bosses.  :P
Not whinging you stop insisting that I am whinging. I am stating that FFX was a hard game comparatively to the others :-P You had to get one more jab in didn't you :-(

EDIT: I don't see how this is even an issue (for me) I read all my posts noone attack seifer...can't say the same for his. But this will be the last post from me on the subject :/. Seifer can keep his comments going I'm out :)
« Last Edit: 2011-06-20 21:27:13 by Mako »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #97 on: 2011-06-20 21:25:53 »
If the two of you do not stop this bickering, I will take moderation action. Seifer, I'm letting the next post through (albeit edited) because you made it prior to this edit.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-20 23:41:10 by Bosola »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2011-06-20 21:25:58 »
I never disagreed with that.   I agree that comparatively it is, but not when you compare it to truly hard games like MGS1 and 2 special missions or MGS2 euro extreme or even BOF3 for intelligent difficulty (puzzles and so forth).

I agree that X is a step up from the rest in FF terms.  No problem with that statement at all.  I was not happy with someone being upset that a superboss was a superboss, then you came back with sarcasm.  Any case that's done and dusted :P
« Last Edit: 2011-06-21 00:27:54 by DLPB »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #99 on: 2011-06-21 17:44:12 »
The conclusion is that all FF games are easy as hell, but have options for those who wants a challenge. +battle toads for the nes is hard.