Author Topic: Some Questions about FFVII data  (Read 9516 times)

Renderguy

• View Profile
Some Questions about FFVII data
« on: 2004-04-06 22:48:38 »
I have been thinking about a re-coding of the FFVII engine such that it is more portable (eg, use OpenGL instead of DirectX, make open source, code in ANSI C as much as possible.) If I implemented all of the file format decoding algorthims that are available and used as much of the *.lgp files as I possibly could, how much do you think would have to hard coded into the source?

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-07 10:11:20 »
Do you mean remake the graphics engine?

If you do, methinks itl take quite the while...Ill help if you do tho.

DD

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-07 17:21:14 »
Too much for one person, it would take many years of work.
there is:
-world map engine
-battle engine
-field engine
of which each would take a long time to program. Sorry for taking dreams  :wink:

Naitguolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-07 19:06:24 »
could be more easy if using Darbasic, or Blitz3d...

Darkdevil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-07 19:30:30 »
NG, Darkbasic and all these other programs acutally have their own graphics engine, the same way UT does compared to half life.

So in theory, we would have to write our own graphics engine to completely rebuild FF7...

DD

Naitguolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-07 20:23:18 »
but DB can help you a lot. You "only" need to make a script engine, battle system and so. Graph engine is done. You need "only" to develop the game :)

But remaking ff7 is a HARD task. Why to bother? Some day Square will make a remake for PS5 or PS6. And surely, will be awesome!

But a cool ff7 engine will be great. To make more levels, dungeons, summons...

savage-xp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-07 20:55:39 »
Please keep the original story... if so :z

Naitguolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-07 21:03:02 »
Quote from: savage-xp
Please keep the original story... if so :z

Then, play the original "unchanged" game. Making new stuff can improve the game, adding mini games, more quests and so, make the game better. Why to play the same game again and again, but with different engine?

Darkdevil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-08 07:40:25 »
NG, thats all very well, but from what u can see from the Darkbasic engine, the graphics are...well....basic...either way, i dont think that it would support the type of thing needed for a remake of F7...(character paths, prerendered backgrounds and the like).

But you are right, it will take a hell of alot of man power to do it...

I persononally think it CAN be done, if everyone who is willing to help on this forum gets their arse in gear i reckon we could do it over a perios of say...2 years?

But thats wishful thinking on my part.... -_-  :z

Naitguolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-08 16:09:35 »
more than 2 years.... a whole life maybe?

But i said Dark Basic Pro. Its pretty good. More than Dark Basic... a lot!!!

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2004-04-08 16:20:06 »
Sorry to say this but it is unrealistic to think you can grab an existing engine and take an old game and mosh them together to make them magically somehow work.  Real life is not Disney where you just wish real hard and things work.

Reality is this. All those 'nifty' PC engines aren't compatible with FF7's data files, DEAL with that fact first.   Second you have to know the format of FF7.  It's become more recently discovered the format of these files.  I myself have been playing with decoding the battle models and background data.  FF7's data formats for the playstation are quite complicated. (overly so).  Almost all of it is compressed I might point out as well.  It's formating and information is not obvious.  The script text is findable just finding the actually script information has proven a bit more challenging for me. Even though others have done so.. I still don't have it decoding correctly.

In order to work with darkbasic et al you have to convert ALL of the data to something it can use. You are going to run into legal issues doing things as well.

This is why REMAKE was designed to read the original files with additional content for REMAKE.

It's a custom engine.. WHICH isn't the big time sink. The real thing that takes time is changing the actual data that's being used.  

Cyb

Renderguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-09 01:12:16 »
My idea is to create a clear and simple port.  No messing around with the storyline, no mucking up the graphics, just an engine powerful enough to interpret LGP archives and the data stored within, that will then render the polygons and play the music.  A replacement for ff7.exe is the best explination.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2004-04-09 08:12:44 »
And port it to what exaclty?!?!

You wouldn't be able to port it to anythign as its simply too big.

No point porting it to plasytation2...you can use the PS1 version.
You cant port to GC its just not possible, its got copy protection that makes baby jesus cry
DONT EVEN THINK about porting to Xbox...thats just wrong...
Ngage and GBA carts/cards are too small...

DD

Naitguolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2004-04-09 16:15:44 »
you know the are more Operating System there. And surely will be happy to play FF7 on these OS

J*** H*******

« Reply #14 on: 2004-04-09 16:31:16 »
Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2004-04-12 03:12:26 »
Quote from: Jari Huttunen
Quote from: darkdevil

Ah, fanboys. How I adore them.  So much hatred, so little reason.

Not that there would be any particular need to port it to Xbox, as Xbox already runs FFVII.

The PC version I presume? :)
Or is that the port of PCSX to the Xbox?
Cyb

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #16 on: 2004-04-12 03:48:07 »
Heh.  You can install Linux on your XBox, and then just use some Linux PSX emulator.  I think someone posted a picture of this.

J*** H*******

« Reply #17 on: 2004-04-12 13:33:24 »
Darkdevil

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2004-04-12 14:30:41 »
Quote from: Jari Huttunen

Ah, fanboys. How I adore them.  So much hatred, so little reason.

Not that there would be any particular need to port it to Xbox, as Xbox already runs FFVII.

Im not a fanboy dumbass, i own all 4 next gen consoles, i just feel that there is no need for putting it on the Xbox! youve got it on PS1 and PC already, why bother putting it on a 'box when it will infinately be better on a pc..

DD

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #19 on: 2004-04-12 14:40:40 »
Im not a fanboy dumbass, i own all 4 next gen consoles, i just feel that there is no need for putting it on the Xbox!

Bad move, insulting a regular like that. No warning this time, but you might want to consider your manners or you could find your stay here an unpleasant one.  :)

Darkdevil

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2004-04-12 15:46:52 »
Quote from: Qhimm
Im not a fanboy dumbass, i own all 4 next gen consoles, i just feel that there is no need for putting it on the Xbox!

Bad move, insulting a regular like that. No warning this time, but you might want to consider your manners or you could find your stay here an unpleasant one.  :)

Sorry but i don't appreciate being called a fanboy when im not.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #21 on: 2004-04-12 15:53:45 »
Then elaborate your arguments better. You will have a agree that a random console remark only supported by "that's just wrong" has a very fanboy sound to it.  :wink:

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2004-05-02 22:49:18 »
Re-coding the FF7 Engine...isn't that what Ficedula is attempting to do with FF7 Remake? I think it's a good idea to try it, actually. It seems a bit useless to redo just the graphics engine considering emulators can already have high-res gameplay. However, if you're going to redo so much to the point where mods can be (easily?) made for the game, there will be a HUGE payoff. However, there would have to be massive format changes. The first figuring out .P files 100%, then converting them to be usable with the new engine. Lots of people have made progress there. It won't be an easy task, period.

As for porting it to a console...that's crazy. Isn't there licensing preventing Xbox or GC from selling FF7 on their consoles?

J*** H*******

« Reply #23 on: 2004-05-03 08:04:44 »
Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2004-05-03 10:44:18 »
Actually, I got a little off-track in my post. Thanks for helping me clear that up, Jari.

I was talking about the original FF7 being ported by a profit-aimed company to other consoles, not the fan port. The plan is to make it open source; selling that wouldn't go over so well.