Author Topic: Extracting the sounds?  (Read 2751 times)

d33eniz

• I am watching for you... but I can't find you...
    • View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
Extracting the sounds?
« on: 2010-01-07 18:44:47 »
Hey there!

I wanted to ask something:
Is it possible to extract all ingame sounds from Final Fantasy VII? I know that I can change those with WallMarket (not tried it yet), but how can I extract them into a usable file like .wav .mp3 or whatever?

Any suggestions?

- Deniz

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting the sounds?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-01-07 19:34:33 »
I am going to guess that the ingame 'beeps' are 1 or 2 second midi files.
What you are going to want to do is find them (wallmarket knows where they are)
Open them in a midi program that can export .wav and import soundbanks, Sonar 8 by cakewalk does this, so would any other recent DAW
From here, import the midi and one of the ff7 soundbanks that are somewhere near midi.lgp.
record those bleeps and bloops to .wav and convert to .mp3

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2010-01-08 03:02:08 »
The sound effects are not midi files. If you're looking at the PC version then it's in the Data/Sounds/audio.dat file. Don't ask me how to extract those, I'm not sure, but I know they're all there. About 27 minutes worth of sound effects. Presumably, the audio.fmt that's with that file defines where each begins and ends.

Again, assuming you're using the PC version, the midis are in midi.lgp in the Data/midi directory. :)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-01-08 05:02:45 »
On the qhimm main page there is a program called ff7snd that you may want to look into. I know it plays the files, not sure if it will extract them.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-01-08 06:29:59 »
In that case, assuming you are using +=winxp, you can add 'stereo mix' to your recording control in audio prefs
and record whatever your computer speakers are playing directly with windows sound recorder if you are a software minimalist.
If you are in some audio recording program, set the input of a recording track to your sound card output and record that program playing the sound effects.

d33eniz

• I am watching for you... but I can't find you...
    • View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #5 on: 2010-01-09 13:59:55 »
Damn, FF7SND works with Linux Ubuntu 9.10 and Wine, yayaaa :D

Yeah, that programm can read the sound.dat file and there are two options: Play or extract.

Awesome, it works, thanks for the help dudes :D

- Deniz