Author Topic: Let's play Final Fantasy VII- with Linux?  (Read 35765 times)

d33eniz

• I am watching for you... but I can't find you...
    • View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
Let's play Final Fantasy VII- with Linux?
« on: 2010-01-09 14:11:51 »
And here's my next question :)

I want to install FF7 on my Linux laptop- I want to change my OS completely and Linux Ubuntu 9.10 is so fucking awesome, so I'm no longer working with Windows!
So, I'm working for 3 months now with Linux Ubuntu and I want to install and run FF7 on it, so I can kick Windows from my laptop :D

And here I come:
How should I install it? I have Wine v1.1.35 installed. And- how can I add Aali's Custom Driver registry-key to the Wine-registry? And does FiceMusic work with it?

Need some tips :D

Thank ya,

- Deniz

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Final Fantasy VII- with Linux?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-01-09 14:36:57 »
I don't know if it'll run now that we have aali's driver patch, but FF VII on it's own, doesn't run on WINE

d33eniz

• View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2010-01-09 16:50:41 »
Yes, you'll need Aali's driver. But since that works on OpenGL and not DirectX, WINE is only needed for executing the game (WINE doesn't and never will support any DirectX features).

The biggest issue I see is the fmvs playing. It's likely that it wants to use DirectShow to play those. I don't use Aali's driver so I don't know if that's not an issue.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-01-09 17:16:05 »
Err, I don't think a single thing was correct in that post.

Technically you don't even need my driver to make the game work in WINE, that just makes it easier for you.

WINE supports MANY DirectX features, among them Direct3D and DirectShow.

And that brings us to the last point, my driver completely replaces the movie player with one that only needs DirectSound to work, it never touches DirectShow. (And DirectSound is of course supported by WINE)

Now to answer some of the original questions; WINE has it's own regedit program, functionally equivalent to the windows version, simply run that on the .reg file to import it. FF7Music works fine as long as you enable the WINE-specific plugin in the config.

d33eniz

• View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #5 on: 2010-01-09 17:23:11 »
Well, that's awesome, thank ya Ali :D

And I upgraded now to Wine v1.1.36 (compiled from source), let's see :D

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2010-01-10 15:59:04 »
Err, I don't think a single thing was correct in that post.

Technically you don't even need my driver to make the game work in WINE, that just makes it easier for you.

WINE supports MANY DirectX features, among them Direct3D and DirectShow.

And that brings us to the last point, my driver completely replaces the movie player with one that only needs DirectSound to work, it never touches DirectShow. (And DirectSound is of course supported by WINE)

Wow, really? This was the reason that I stopped using WINE. When I last touched it everyone said it wasn't going to be able to do anything DX related. I think that was back in version 0.9 or so. That was probably two or three years ago too so it's likely my information is out-of-date and/or based on my poor understanding of computers back in the day.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-01-10 16:47:41 »
DirectX support is far from perfect, but when it comes to graphics it's usually just a problem of glitching (which you can live with most of the time) and somewhat crappy performance.
And it has probably seen some great improvements over the last few years, especially for the more popular titles.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2010-01-10 18:37:00 »
Maybe I'll go back to Linux then and create a more universal version of WallMarket and PrC. :D I need to learn to do GUI in Linux anyway.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #9 on: 2010-01-10 18:44:07 »
you can play ff7 in wine w/ no issues...

you will need aali's driver, and ff7 music if you want decent sound... i have been running ff7 for almost a year on kubuntu. you should be sure that first you have the proper video drivers installed and working. from there is just a matter of installing and patching it all up afterwards..

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Reply #10 on: 2010-01-10 19:55:00 »
With me, version 0.6.10b of the aali's driver works with ubuntu, but not version 0.7 :-(.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #11 on: 2010-01-11 02:53:02 »
Maybe I'll go back to Linux then and create a more universal version of WallMarket and PrC. :D I need to learn to do GUI in Linux anyway.
Qt is good for GUI programing in linux w/ the added bonus of it being cross platform... and GPL.
http://qt.nokia.com

and i would love to be able to use wallmarket i have had no luck w/ it in wine..

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-01-11 03:14:45 »
w/ the added bonus of it being cross platform... and GPL.
And buggy.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #13 on: 2010-01-11 03:59:16 »
and i would love to be able to use wallmarket i have had no luck w/ it in wine..

Because it's dependent on .NET framework which, I'm pretty sure this time, WINE does not support....yet.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-01-11 05:04:03 »
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2586

Just on the pantyline of operability, no 3.5 framework for u
Actually, the last version tested for .net 3.5 was 6 subversions ago. Maybe you will get lucky

d33eniz

• View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #15 on: 2010-01-11 13:32:41 »
I'll try it :D

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #16 on: 2010-01-11 17:45:01 »
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2586

Just on the pantyline of operability, no 3.5 framework for u
Actually, the last version tested for .net 3.5 was 6 subversions ago. Maybe you will get lucky

The fact that it's able to install .NET 2.0 is impressive! WINE has gotten considerably better since last I tried it!

d33eniz

• View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #17 on: 2010-01-11 18:28:25 »
Okay, gonna' make a video tutorial again- "How To Play Final Fantasy VII on Linux Ubuntu 9.10!" :D

EDIT: Have a problem! Every time I want to run the FF7 Config it displays the following error message:

Whenever I run it, it says
"Your soundcard is not DirectSound compatible. You need a DirectSound-compatible  soundcard"

I set the sound from hardware to Emulation with winecfg. Where's the problem? I applied already the 1.02 Patch. German version. Tried it with the english one too, but it doesn't matter, it shows the same again!

And I tried to run the ff7.exe- it loads and loads- and the programm closes. What can/should I do? Any information I have to give? I'm using Wine v1.1.36.

- Deniz
« Last Edit: 2010-01-11 18:58:58 by d33eniz »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #18 on: 2010-01-11 21:22:48 »
be sure that you have installed both directX (9 should be more then fine) and also that you have configured wine's shound to your sound device , i have always used "FULL" for sound emulation. i started to make a set up guide for the kubuntu forum but have removed most of the good stuff (since it needs to be corrected).

i would suggest that you go grab a copy of winetricks (google it you will find it fast) and use it to install the following items
        corefonts
   directx9
   ffdshow (use defaults and allow for all programs when asked for video and audio)
   vcrun2008 (need for some mods and tools, not the main game)
   mfc42 (unsure of this as a requirement try with out it first install if needed, please comment)

then check w/ dxdialog to be sure that you have working sound there..

please note: i also needed  certa's  32-bit color patch.(this may be no longer nesessery w/ aali's driver)

hope i have been of some help. if you get stuck just me know where your @ in the process and i will see what i can do to help, after all us penguins need to stick together.

d33eniz

• View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #19 on: 2010-01-12 14:39:43 »
and i will see what i can do to help, after all us penguins need to stick together.
Oh yeah, Linux is freakin' awesome- but there's no really support for all those bigger programs... it still kicks M$-ass... :D...

EDIT: Okay, installed everything you told me- but I get the same error over and over again- and whenever I want to run "wine dxdiag" in the terminal, nothing happens. Really, well almost nothing...

Only that and nothing else... any other ideas?

EDIT2: Ok, it seems to be an issue with Wine v1.1.35+^^
Any idea's?
« Last Edit: 2010-01-12 15:28:39 by d33eniz »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #20 on: 2010-01-12 15:50:17 »
i am at work now , so i can't really confirm that your wine dxdialog path is correct. or that ff7 doesn't work w/  wine >= 1.1.35 (i also have 1.1.36 atm, but have not played since the "upgrade"). when i get back to the house i will see what i can dig up for you, in the mean time do you have another program that uses direct sound to test with (winamp works nice in wine.... and can be set to d.sound out.) try to see if the problem is only w/ ff7 or all direct sound apps , if its with all try to reinstall directX.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-14 20:21:16 by sithlord48 »

d33eniz

• View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #21 on: 2010-01-14 20:00:08 »
Okay, I dunno why it's working now- I installed everything you told me- and I've written into the terminal:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgradeThen, I restarted my laptop and now I can run the FF7 Config- no errors. But there's still one problem: Whenever I try to run the ff7.exe it loads- and exits. No error message or something like that- any idea?

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #22 on: 2010-01-14 20:15:58 »
works just fine on my machine still (wine 1.1.36)

Okay, I dunno why it's working now- I installed everything you told me- and I've written into the terminal:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgradeThen, I restarted my laptop and now I can run the FF7 Config- no errors. But there's still one problem: Whenever I try to run the ff7.exe it loads- and exits. No error message or something like that- any idea?

after you load the ff7config. you have to re add the .reg key to your "regestry" ( i would run regedit first then add from with in the program).

do you get any errors when you run (in a terminal)
wine <ff7.exe's path> ?
« Last Edit: 2010-01-14 20:21:30 by sithlord48 »

d33eniz

• View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #23 on: 2010-01-14 21:23:18 »
I know, I imported the key again into the registry- let's see, I'll run it from the terminal...

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-01-17 12:15:35 »
ok i just tried this on a virtual machine with ubuntu 10.04 (4gb DVD version) and Wine 1.1.36 and Aali's Driver 0.7.3b and offical update 1.02 and it seems to work (it runs slow but i believe this is more likely that fact its a virtual machine. To do it i installed wine 1.1.36 then installed FF7 then installed patch 1.02 then ran FF7config.EXE once then imported the registry from Aali's driver 0.7.3b with regedit in wine then ran ff7.exe and the first error i got was a error to do with Microsoft C++ libraries so i installed VC 2005+2008 redist and that fixed that problem then i had a problem with the game just staying black and to fix this i changed the audio setting in wines configuration program to the 3rd option (cant remember what it was off the top of my head just that it was the 3rd option down) then ran the game and it seems to run without any errors.

EDIT:
ok just installed Ubuntu 9.10 (700mb CD version) onto my laptop (so this time its not a virtual machine) then installed all updates (including nvidia driver 185 for my graphics card), rebooted, then installed wine 1.1.36 (i didnt compile myself since when i tried the compiled version kept giving me weird errors so i downloaded a already compiled version) after installing wine i went on to install ff7 then the offical 1.02 patch then ff7config then extracted Aali's driver 0.7.3b to the game folder. Then imported the keys from Aali's driver into wine with regedit and edited the cfg file for the settings i wanted and ran the game, the game ran but the audio was off so i then installed TiMidi++ MIDI sequencer from the Ubuntu software server and ran ff7config again and set it to TiMidi port0 then clicked ok and re added the registry files from Aali's driver ran the game and it ran with good sound (no music just sounds but i have yet to try ff7music)
(also above i used wine with all its default settings and ran the EXE's by right clicking them in the "file browser" on my laptop)
« Last Edit: 2010-01-17 17:53:01 by kranmer »