Author Topic: Loading save whilst in-game / quickly restarting  (Read 22069 times)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Loading save whilst in-game / quickly restarting
« on: 2011-04-01 20:10:31 »
I find myself having to restart the game quite often as to be able to load different saves for testing. I have already removed the two intro movies but I can't seem to remove the intro credits.  I beginning to wonder a few things: first, has anyone ever tried adding the functionality of loading a different game from the menu while already in a game, as in some later FF titles, or is this already possible via some kind of cheat? Second, is there some kind of shortcut for a soft reset for the PC version? And lastly, is there any way to disable the opening credits so I can just start right from the main menu? Thank you  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: 2011-07-18 18:05:58 by Bosola »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Frequent Restart in PC FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-01 20:23:18 »
I find myself having to restart the game quite often as to be able to load different saves for testing. I have already removed the two intro movies but I can't seem to remove the intro credits.

If you press Confirm while the first movie should be playing it'll take you right to the "New Game/Continue" screen. It always did for me. I didn't know there were intro credits for the longest time.

I beginning to wonder a few things: first, has anyone ever tried adding the functionality of loading a different game from the menu while already in a game, as in some later FF titles, or is this already possible via some kind of cheat?

I tried it, but when the load menu was coming up it froze.

Second, is there some kind of shortcut for a soft reset for the PC version? And lastly, is there any way to disable the opening credits so I can just start right from the main menu? Thank you  :mrgreen:

Try pushing all the buttons at once. I think there is a way to do it, but I don't remember the buttons.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-01 20:32:14 »
press Confirm

haha well I know that much, which is why disabling those movies doesn't really change much as I still have to wait for the credits to start, then pust CONFIRM, then wait a sec for the main menu. I'll try mashing all the buttons I have set and we'll see if anything works. Thank you sir.

I tried it, but when the load menu was coming up it froze.

man that really sucks, would make everything a hell of a lot easier. Oh well  :|
« Last Edit: 2011-04-01 20:36:23 by yarLson »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-02 11:59:20 »
Well i did a bit of work on making a load game function as well and i did manage to make a semi working load (read below) which i was planning to add to the next version of my trainer if i ever get round to it, here is a mini trainer to show you.
Just run this (you can run it from anywhere, it doesn't have to be in the FF7 folder) then FF7 (or vise versa)
http://www.mediafire.com/?1bnn5cm8jidw2vy
Then when in game press "CTRL + L" twice slowly and you will get to the load menu or go to the in-game menu and press "CTRL + L" once and it should take you to the load menu,

The reason why i called it a semi working load is because it only works in the field properly, it has some odd effects if used on the world map (really odd effects, here is 1 example - if you are on disc1 world map and then use the load to load a save on CD3 it will take you back to the worldmap where you was on disc1 but with disc3's stats) but if you enter a village and exit again it sometimes fixes the problem but not always so its probably best not to use it on the worldmap if you can help it.

EDIT:- i mean you can only use the trainer while in the field, you can load saves that where saved on the world map fine, just DON'T press "CTRL + L" while on the world map.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-02 12:08:52 by kranmer »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-02 18:54:03 »
thank you sir, this should be a great help! Field restriction is no big deal.  :mrgreen:

Ilwenray85

Re: Loading save whilst in-game / quickly restarting
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-18 19:25:48 »
Hi!
I dont know why, but the trainer dont work for me in the field or in the world... control + L don't do nothing...
I play on notebook (with joypad) and this is what i have:

-Custom graphics driver by Aali 0.7.11b
-Final_Fantasy_VII_Remix_v2-5-1
And a selection of files (main charas) that i like from a mod by Kula Wende.

I dont know why. I unzip the file in the ff7 main directory (even if you tell that isnt necesary) and i use it before launch the game. Don't work. I need help, is the only mod/trainer that do that work (main menu exit) so please help me.

P.D. I'm spanish so my english is a mess, but i hope at least you understand the idea. Thank you.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-18 19:30:16 »
the button combination is the equivalent of Start-Select-Ri-R2-L1-l2 on the psx, I have done it on pc, I just can remember the corresponding keys

vAddicatedGamer

• Dumb dumb
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-18 20:16:28 »
If you are using Vista/Windows 7 (I'm using W7 myself) you need to run the mod as administrator, or else it won't work at all.

If it works, when you first press Ctrl + L, you will call up the menu, the second time you press Ctrl + L, you will call up the load menu. Note that at the load menu, you're unable to go back to the game and you'll have to either load a saved game or quit (as far as I can see). 

Ilwenray85

« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-18 21:09:21 »
Im using windows xp.
And still don't work... I know what is supposed to do, but nothing... The soft reset with all buttons... i press all of them, still nothing T.T
Maybe is a region-keyboard problem then? Is the only thing i can think now...
Again, sorry for my english. ^^U

vAddicatedGamer

• Dumb dumb
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-18 21:18:36 »
Oops, missed out the part about you using joypad... No idea about those, sorry...

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-18 21:27:20 »
I am glad to see interest in this again. This project was only for the 1.02 English EXE if you are using a different language version of FF7 that may be the reason it isn't working. But if you are using the English 1.02 EXE it could be a problem with how it detects what key is pressed, i may be able to do something about this but if like jeffdamann says and the in-game reset still exists (i haven't tried but i am gonna be checking this out in a moment) it may be better to use that if we can figure out the keys to press.

EDIT:- i can't seem to get the soft reset to work, i tried the equivalents on my numberpad and my joypad but still no luck, but if anyone has better luck let me know.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-18 21:37:19 by kranmer »

Ilwenray85

« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-18 21:42:15 »
I try the soft-reset with and without the joypad, still nothing.
The final fantasy remix change the all the game to english, the exe too O.o
That's funny, i can read english without problems, but i can't write it. ^^U
Again thanks for the help. I find this a little WTF! The game itself must come with these, a load game menu xD
Well... i try again tomorrow, is late here.

vAddicatedGamer

• Dumb dumb
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-18 22:29:13 »
What exactly is soft reset? I googled a bit and everyone said that soft reset does not exist for PC version.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-19 12:06:24 »
What exactly is soft reset? I googled a bit and everyone said that soft reset does not exist for PC version.

There is mention of it in the battle text in the kernel2.bin for PC. If you get WallMarket and look at the battle texts for PC there's a line that says "Press Ctrl-XXXX to reset" or something like that. I don't remember the text as I'm on my iPad and can't look it up. :) If I get to an actual computer soon I'll type what it says exactly unless someone else beats me to it.

EDIT:
It says "Push CTRL+Q to Reset." That's the text that's there. Give that a try, but it might only work during battles if it works at all.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-19 13:12:32 by NFITC1 »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-19 13:35:42 »
There is mention of it in the battle text in the kernel2.bin for PC. If you get WallMarket and look at the battle texts for PC there's a line that says "Press Ctrl-XXXX to reset" or something like that. I don't remember the text as I'm on my iPad and can't look it up. :) If I get to an actual computer soon I'll type what it says exactly unless someone else beats me to it.

EDIT:
It says "Push CTRL+Q to Reset." That's the text that's there. Give that a try, but it might only work during battles if it works at all.

I am already aware of CTRL+Q but it doesn't reset it Quits (exits to windows)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-19 13:37:55 »
push ctrl-Q to reset is a debug message that only occurs when there is a problem in battle (like scratched disc). It will also be accompanied by the scene error message.  It has nothing to do with a normal reset.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-19 16:40:38 »
Well that was my best guess. Sorry. :)

vAddicatedGamer

• Dumb dumb
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-19 17:41:14 »
So soft reset just restarts the game without going back to the OS? Like you press it, and it starts from the chocobo intro start away?

I wonder if it's possible to make a trainer to do that, like how the trainer enabled the loading-while-in-game feature

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-19 22:46:27 »
it would be best if this could be done via a patch to ff7.exe and make it just like on the psx using the equilvent button mappings.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-07-20 14:43:09 »
I wonder why they didn't port it....  Your best bet is to request it from aali.. he could add it to his driver, if he was feeling generous :P

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #20 on: 2011-07-20 15:18:37 »
I just gave some thought to this and the easiest thing would be to force a "Game Over" to return you to the opening screen. That might be programmable via menu.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-07-20 15:42:29 »
Indeed....
but probably just as easy to make it return the game to the menu.  It is the hotkey thing that is missing, but the driver would have to do that really.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #22 on: 2011-07-20 18:23:57 »
Yeah, I guess you're right.

Ardath Evanski

« Reply #23 on: 2011-07-21 03:59:28 »
Field restriction is  nearly a piece of cake. Thanks for providing the solution! ;D

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #24 on: 2011-07-23 16:04:34 »
(...)It is the hotkey thing that is missing, but the driver would have to do that really.
Hotkeying was done previously - YAMP's GyptInstant uses in-game hotkeys. I've replaced Ctrt+D (i.e. turn-lights-on) with instant game-over as NFITC1 suggested, and it actually works pretty well - but only if in field module.

If the Gypt is applied to 1.02 ff7.exe, these modifications suffice:
Code: [Select]
00676824     EB 0E         JMP SHORT 00676834
00676826     BA AE0DCC00   MOV EDX,OFFSET 00CC0DAE
0067682B     31C0          XOR EAX,EAX
0067682D     66:8902       MOV WORD PTR DS:[EDX],AX
00676830     C642 DB 1A    MOV BYTE PTR DS:[EDX-25],1A
00676834     E9 93000000   JMP 006768CC

There is not much space left in that area to implement both functions though, and it looks like I've misplaced the YAMP patches compiler...