Author Topic: Steam release - FFXIII: Lightning Returns  (Read 5700 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Steam release - FFXIII: Lightning Returns
« on: 2015-12-11 11:52:17 »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/345350/

The concluding chapter in the least-asked-for video game trilogy. I'm still hoping they'll port IX after this and most of the others have been Steamed.

I
II There's still hope for these two, actually. I think they got iOS ports a while back, but the PSP releases are obviously the best
III
IV
IV:AY
V
VI Officially not released yet.
VII
VIII
IX Oddly missing from everything. It's the awesome game that Square wants to forget. Licensing issues?
X
X-2
There was a PS3 HD re-release of these so it's possible we'll see these in the future.
XI
XII Way too grindy IMO. And the plot didn't make sense in the end, but when have plots made sense since IX?
XIII
XIII-2
XIII-3

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Steam release - FFXIII: Lightning Returns
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-11 12:05:26 »
XIII-3 haha, the more I see it, the more I laugh.

I'd also like  a FF9 port:)  But if they've managed the source code anything like FF7 or 8 - it's not happening.

JBedford128

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-11 12:29:36 »
Yeah, I think FFIX is unfortunate for not getting a PC port. I don't think we'll be seeing IX outside of the emulated PS1 version unless they remake it, but I don't think IX was particularly popular to begin with.

I'm replaying FFIX now. The x3 speed feature available in the PS4 port of FFVII would be very welcome in FFIX. IX is slow, especially for PAL players.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-11 12:56:07 »
The PS4 port is based on the PC version and so could be programmed with a "x3" option.  Very easy to do.  I've programmed my own faster summons into PC version.  I am not sure how a FF9 game on the ps4 would work because it will have to be the PSX version (I assume source code of ff9 is a goner or that the will to port it properly is not there).  I don't know enough about ps4 to say if that's even possible.  I highly doubt a faster option would be there in any case.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-11 14:04:19 »
This port is the best working one so far. FF13 & FF13-2 are a MESS and run like crap even on good specs but Lightning Returns seems to keep a constant 60 FPS even on a 3 year old pc. (with the occasional drop  to 40-50 when there's ALOT of stuff going on, but hey, old pc so)
Very nice port, smooth and 0 issues so far. I hope all the future Final Fantasy ports to steam get the same treatment.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-12-11 14:09:07 »
It is somewhat of sad that SE hasn't helped us with Q-Gears. If they had finished it with us under the restriction that it is only free to use with FF7 PC they would have had a potential engine, which they could port to any device (PS3, PS4, PS Vita, IOS and Android and Steam). And I mean all their PSX games which used the gears engine. All that money they waste for the remake. They could have made plenty of real HD remakes, would have earned much more money as this FF7 debacle they are creating and their reputation by the fans would have been restored for ages. But well, all I hope is that SE will make finally their real Final Fantasy and this time with no use of a phoenix dawn.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-12-11 14:30:56 »
I
II There's still hope for these two, actually. I think they got iOS ports a while back, but the PSP releases are obviously the best
III
IV
IV:AY
V
VI Officially not released yet.
VII
VIII
IX Oddly missing from everything. It's the awesome game that Square wants to forget. Licensing issues?
X
X-2
There was a PS3 HD re-release of these so it's possible we'll see these in the future.
XI
XII Way too grindy IMO. And the plot didn't make sense in the end, but when have plots made sense since IX?
XIII
XIII-2
XIII-3

I think FFX & X-2 are suspected to be heading for PC soon, both were registered onto Steam's database thingie recently (though Half Life 3 was also in the list, so naturally take it with a pinch of salt): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151748

XII was confirmed by some dev or other during an SE event which landed him in some hot water, though there's been no news about it since then: http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/final-fantasy-xii-hd-remaster-remake-ff12-34147

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 2015-12-11 14:39:08 »
I'll say port wise, the game is okay. Runs a lot better than the others. The graphical options are kind of lacking. I mean you choose either "standard" or "advanced" which isn't very descriptive. But the real problem with the game is while people are happy they got rid of the launcher, this now means you can't play the game without an Internet connection. Because good old SE decided you have to use steam cloud or else you ain't playing the game. I should know, I attempted it. So no offline mode as far as I know. Oh and no mouse support for those who don't use controllers.

Hope FFIX will one day make its way to PC as well.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2015-12-11 15:07:00 »
I've only bought the FFXIII trilogy as a sort of momentum investment that one day IX will receive its time in the sun again. Seriously! Why has it gotten so little attention?! I do doubt that anything of IX remains at Square's HQ.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-12-11 15:08:12 »
I've only bought the FFXIII trilogy as a sort of momentum investment that one day IX will receive its time in the sun again. Seriously! Why has it gotten so little attention?! I do doubt that anything of IX remains at Square's HQ.

If they've lost the source code, that's your answer.  FF7 and 8 already had PC ports and so could be rereleased.  A release of FF9 means a port from scratch.  Which they are obviously unwilling to do.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-12-11 15:27:03 »
A release of FF9 means a port from scratch.  Which they are obviously unwilling to do.
Not necessarily; they could use an emulator. I mean, the iOS version of FF7 is already just the PC version in a weird emulator-like wrapper (maybe something like Wine? I'm not sure the details), and there's a possibility they've done that with the PS4 version also.

They've handed a LOT of their porting work lately to the company DotEmu. These guys are responsible for the Steam rereleases of FF7PC and FF8PC, the new PC ports from mobile of FF3 and FF4, and the PS4 and iOS versions of FF7. The company specializes in porting, using any means available, whether that's DOSBox or SCUMMVM or a true port. Their results often come across as lazy (FF3/FF4PC), but if anyone can make FF9 run on PC at all, it's them. And DotEmu is certainly not afraid to use emulation if a true port is out of reach.