Miscellaneous Forums > Graphical

Final Fantasy VI PC/Steam Modding

<< < (2/6) > >>

MetaLink:
the main.obb file where all data is stored is password protected, when trying to decrypt/extract the files it asks for a password

Covarr:
Now, the password has to be included somewhere for the archive to be decrypted. I would guess it's stored in the game's exe somewhere, though I can't swear to it.

MetaLink:
Nice, guess its just a matter of debugging the .exe right ?

ficedula:
I'll take a look - although like Covarr, I won't have much opportunity to do a lot until after Christmas (albeit I'm short on time rather than funds...)

UPDATE: Made some progress; the OBB file, despite the name, isn't actually an obb file. (Probably due to Google's distribution rules; subsidiary data and patches are always named .obb regardless of file type). It's a fairly simple archive file format containing ~4900 data files. The data inside is far too repetitive to be compressed or encrypted (which surprises me, nowadays, if this is the exact same data that was distributed in the Android release - which seems likely - they didn't even apply LZ4 or something similar? Guess they don't care about wasting space on customer's phones.)

The archive doesn't appear to contain filenames: they may be encoded into the exe; or possibly that's the (only!) part of the archive that's obfuscated in some way.

Many of the data files have suspiciously regular file sizes; just over 512KB, you say? Sounds an awful lot like a 256x512x32bit graphic, to me (also not compressed at all - not even PNG?!).

In fact, feeding those files into a raw image viewer gives us data like:

Looks an awful lot like some world map data, doesn't it? Albeit the colours are screwed, so it's not stored in straight RGBA.

Disappointingly it looks like a lot of the game data (all the dialogue?) is encoded into the EXE file, not stored in the OBB archive. That's a little annoying.

More to follow, presumably ;)

MetaLink:
Awesome, ive been fiddling around with a debugger and found some strings

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version