Miscellaneous Forums > Graphical

At it again...

<< < (2/8) > >>

DLPB_:
It looks like the best I've seen so far, regarding the upscaled backgrounds.  Doesn't look anywhere near as plastic as some attempts or like what fractals does.

edit.

It's actually at a standard that I can say is "good"  - which I couldn't with the rest.  It's pretty impressive.

cmh175:
Wow, this is really impressive! I didn't think the original backgrounds could ever be this crisp and clear.

Covarr:
This is genuinely good. I've always avoided upscaled backgrounds in the past, because I felt like the scaling artifacts, the weird blotches, etc., looked worse than the pixellation of the originals. This is the first attempt I've seen that I would actually use myself.

It's not perfect; among other things, some of the higher contrast dithering still scales weirdly (most obvious with the back wall near the top in the first screen). Have you considered running a low-strength noise removal filter over it before scaling? I've found that Photoshop's noise removal is pretty good at blending dithering like that without eating away at detail. For example, using these settings, I processed that same screen and came up with this:

At this size, the original size, the difference is virtually indistinguishable to the naked eye. But with the dithering blurred, I'd imagine this would scale much more nicely with that improved scaling system you've got set up. Just a thought, maybe worth trying. If you don't wanna put in the effort of preprocessing fields through Photoshop, I certainly won't blame you, and I can't guarantee that the results would even be as good as I suspect they would (I don't have waifu2x handy to test it myself right now). Still, it could be worth trying.

In any case, what you've got is already so much better than anything I've seen. I'm really excited to see where this goes. I'd use it.

satsuki:
I'm not agry with you with the "photo" preset.
here's a side by side samples of the waifu "anime" (left) and your waifu "photo" right (best looking at full size of course).
the waifu "photo" is simply less sharp than the "anime" one and way less precise in large colors areas (lock at the red in the warning sign)
also the omzy script is a good starting point but it's full of miss-cut in the layers witch generating black pixels areas (the warning sign for exemple).

Fischkopf:
I think anime looks good enough... Apart from the fact that the "photo" version is a little blurrier the difference seems really minor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version