Author Topic: Modding Characters  (Read 7141 times)

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
Modding Characters
« on: 2008-07-13 21:29:47 »
Hey guys.

I am brand new to any sort of modding or tweaking, and I really wanted to try to put the models from Advent Children into my FF7 game. I have the game and movie legally, but I dont own any other programs or anything that I could use to do this, and this would definetely be my first time at any sort of modding whatsoever. If I could get some help, it would be very much appreciated.

Also, is it worth all the effort? lol, no matter, I will still do it :-D   

stormmedia

• View Profile
Re: Modding Characters
« Reply #1 on: 2008-07-13 21:55:01 »
I am brand new to any sort of modding or tweaking, and I really wanted to try to put the models from Advent Children into my FF7 game.
Well to begin with, you would have to get your hand on these models (which is very unlikely) or do them yourself (which is a hell of a job considering all the details on these models).

I have the game and movie legally, but I dont own any other programs or anything that I could use to do this
Well, there is no program that can do what you want because you can't simply rip a model from a movie.... it's all prerendered.  What you need is 3DS Max to make the model, Pcreator to convert the model to FF7 3d format and a hell lot of talent in 3d modelling/texturing.  Once the model is done you gonna have to make sure that you cut all the parts of the model (arm, hand, chest, head) appropriately because FF7 doesn't support skinning so all the parts are cut (the parts can't bend when moved, they simply rotate or do basic movements).
« Last Edit: 2008-07-14 21:05:43 by stormmedia »

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-07-14 06:04:59 »
I would go with ripping Kingdom Hearts models myself. ;-)

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-07-14 07:05:38 »
Thats what a lot of people are doing, based on my searches in this forum, but I dont own or know anybody who owns Kingdom Hearts, so unless I could get them online, I really dont have a chance there.

Thanks stormmedia for putting things in perspective, but I really dont have a chance at making these?

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-07-14 16:15:06 »
He's not saying you have no chance per se, just that it would be VERY difficult because of the fact they would have to be built from the ground up.
The way it works for KH, is that you rip the model from said game, then fix o suit FF7's needs.  If you were to make Advent Children models, which btw just for reference, imo, would look out of place in FF7's badly stretched universe, you would have to build them from scratch.

Meaning modelling, texturing and such.  Not impossible by any means, but very, very difficult.

Still, it would be an interesting thing to see if it were to be done I suppose.

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-07-14 18:54:57 »
Well, since Im brand new to anything in the modding department, how long do you think it would take to get the programs and build the models? Im still in high school, so its not like I havent had experience on a computer, but just not a lot. I really would like to make them, but I just dont know how  much time it would take a beginner to do.

Genesis

• Even if the morrow is barren of promises Nothing s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-07-14 19:05:27 »
to get the programs doesnt take long, the simplest one is using kimera

to build the models can take as long or as short as you wish, depends on how much detail you want to put into it

the more detail and care you have, the longer it will take but it will be much better

if you havent had much expirience with a computer just do small mods and dont expect to make a full fledge perfect detail character on your 1st try, take your time

and always keep a back-up of the original files so you can change anything back to its original state

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-07-15 05:26:53 »
Is there any walkthroughs or anything? Because I dont know what kernels are or where to get the files for the original charcter models, and sorry to sound like a broken record, but is there a place that will help me start from square one? (like i said, brand new to anything here)

Also, If by some great miracle, I get this to work, I will definetely post the final products to you guys.

thanks for the help.

Genesis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-07-15 14:37:06 »
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7745.0

this topic might help you, if not just search for what your looking for in the search bar at the top, im sure theres enough topics about everything you want to know

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-07-16 05:49:36 »
Well, it just showed how to swap models

Anyone know where to get Kimera?

And so I don't mess up my whole game and computer, anybody out there willing to show me the ropes a little bit? I know a lot of people don't have time, and I don't want to be a nuisance, but could someone help me get started?

PM me if you're up to it, thanks.

Genesis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-07-16 11:41:48 »
http://cutfilms.awardspace.com/downloads/

this has some patches and also how to edit things and tells you what programs you need and has a tutorial with it

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-07-17 08:19:54 »
btw, would it be possible to rip the mod for Vincent from DoC? I have that, and I think all i need is the emulator, and the rip and resizing programs.

also, the site didn't help too much, just a bunch of downloads that i didn't really want or that didn't lead anywhere exciting.... thanks though Genisis.

Kimera still seems to be a good choice, can I find it on this site?

Genesis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-07-17 12:02:38 »
if you download his swapping tutorial it tells you where to get the program and how to change parts etc

if that doesnt help, have a look round for topics here

you can find kimera on google i think its on version 0.84b , just google it and it should come with some links for download

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-07-18 06:42:38 »
Thanks Genisis. my computer must be a piece because I cant open the tutorial, and I found kimera, but that wont open either. Also, I am having great difficulty trying to keep up with all the computer jargon around here, and I realize that this is a lot harder than I expected. I am still going to try though, but it will be a very long time before I can complete. thanks again for the help, I appreciate it, and it looks like I am a profound dumbass about anything in the modding world :-(

bboystrife

« Reply #14 on: 2008-07-19 02:41:11 »
yo peeps. i'm not sure if this will help any of u lot out,?  > http://sylphds.net/f2k3/index.html