Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4840274 times)

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #7625 on: 2019-04-08 14:06:18 »
Hey Sega Chief, I am currently replaying through the NT Mod again (v1.5 on Arrange) and I encountered a glitch in the first Wutai pagoda battle against Gorki.

After having started the fight via Sneak Attack - DeBarrier, I used three summons to win the battle, none of which had their animations displayed. It initially reminded me of Vincent's Mug Glitch, however, Yuffie still had the first part of the summon animation play out correctly, right until the point at which she is to fade away and the summon is to appear. It looked as if she were unable to cast the summon, as if she had run out of MP or been silenced, but the actual summon spell still seemed to work normally because I won the fight after three of these semi-invisible summons.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: 2019-04-08 14:41:23 »
Hey Sega Chief, I am currently replaying through the NT Mod again (v1.5 on Arrange) and I encountered a glitch in the first Wutai pagoda battle against Gorki.

After having started the fight via Sneak Attack - DeBarrier, I used three summons to win the battle, none of which had their animations displayed. It initially reminded me of Vincent's Mug Glitch, however, Yuffie still had the first part of the summon animation play out correctly, right until the point at which she is to fade away and the summon is to appear. It looked as if she were unable to cast the summon, as if she had run out of MP or been silenced, but the actual summon spell still seemed to work normally because I won the fight after three of these semi-invisible summons.

Long time no see; it's likely something associated with the spell animation he uses at the start of the fight. It can cause some odd glitches when used by an enemy in a regular battle but seemed safe to use in this 1v1 fight. I'll review it.

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #7627 on: 2019-04-08 20:52:00 »
Long time no see; it's likely something associated with the spell animation he uses at the start of the fight. It can cause some odd glitches when used by an enemy in a regular battle but seemed safe to use in this 1v1 fight. I'll review it.

Yeah, I thought so myself. It's not anything major anyway, I had just never encountered that particular glitch before.

Also, I was able to snatch 9 MP+ Materia from the Materia Exchange screen during the middle of the Stolen Materia sidequest in Wutai. That exploit actually occurs in vanilla as well and I am not sure if there is any way to fix it (it happens whenever a team member is temporarily removed from the PHS menu, for instance with Yuffie during the Stolen Materia sidequest or the first time in Cosmo Canyon with Red XIII).

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: 2019-04-09 15:41:30 »
Yeah, I thought so myself. It's not anything major anyway, I had just never encountered that particular glitch before.

Also, I was able to snatch 9 MP+ Materia from the Materia Exchange screen during the middle of the Stolen Materia sidequest in Wutai. That exploit actually occurs in vanilla as well and I am not sure if there is any way to fix it (it happens whenever a team member is temporarily removed from the PHS menu, for instance with Yuffie during the Stolen Materia sidequest or the first time in Cosmo Canyon with Red XIII).

I wasn't aware that there was a glitch like that. What's the underlying logic of it & steps involved?

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #7629 on: 2019-04-09 23:30:23 »
I am actually not entirely sure how to precisely trigger this glitch, however, it appears to be fairly easy. Essentially, whenever a party member is temporarily removed from PHS (such as when visiting Cosmo Canyon for the first time or after the Whirlwind Maze or during the Stolen Materia sidequest in Wutai), you open the Materia menu, go to Exchange and notice that below the bottom-most roster (which is normally Cid once all characters are acquired), an enmpty character slot is accessible. If you go over it, you can see that all the materia on this empty character is MP+, some of which can be removed.

Speaking of MP+ Materia, the Ziegfried encounter, is it supposed to be a mutually exclusive source with regards to the MP+ Materia from the Temple of the Ancients? Also, how do you encounter Ziegfried? Does he work like Mystery Ninja in FF7 Vanilla? I found his data in the scene.bin but have never encountered him.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: 2019-04-10 15:28:47 »
Ah I see; MP+ is ID:0 I think so it makes sense kinda that an empty character slot would be populated with it.

Ziegfried is functionally identical to mystery ninja and should appear with frequency increasing as you progress through game (although this event is handled by a switch that checks for Yuffie so there's a chance that one has been missed somewhere if he isn't appearing at all). I think Temple of the Ancients disables him though, and the MP+ Materia he would normally give is found there if it wasn't obtained through the fight.

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #7631 on: 2019-04-11 00:36:23 »
So, I just finished the mod and, once again, I must say that it truly is an amazing piece of work. I had a great time with it and loved almost all of it.

Here are some more things I found:

1) The check for finishing a playthrough without using up any SP seems glitched. I ranked up all my characters but was still told by Mr. Smiles that I had not used up any sources.

2) The Stardust Item is severely overpowered. 24,000 HP of damage to any single target regardless of its defense is quite game-breaking, in particular since most enemies have fairly little HP by other mods' standards.

3) Some materia equip penalties seem too harsh. For instance, the -26 MDef granted by several support materia makes those materia very unattractive to use.

4) Some pieces of armor seem nerfed into uselessness. Whereas the Mystile and Ziedrich are the go-to late game pieces of armor in vanilla, in New Threat Mod, I never found myself using them because they offer no Def or MDef in addition to ulterior penalties (no Resist/Shield status as well as unlinked slots in the case of the Mystile). Instead, I ended up using the Imperial Guard or Dragon Armlet, which seem to be by far the the most well-rounded pieces of armor post-game. On a similar note, I actually found the Relic Ring quite interesting, however, the benefit conferred by it is clearly outmatched by its huge downside of causing death by Elixirs. It seems to me that a much larger upside would be required to render this accessory more appealing. The Curse Ring, on the other hand, seems much more usable even though it is subject to a similar handicap. Then again, the Curse Ring is mainly only usable because of how Recovery overrides nullification from an element in FF7's game mechanics. If the Curse Ring did not nullify but also absorb Health, just like the Relic Ring does, that would make it much trickier to use.

5) The scene.bin contains lots of enemies that one cannot fight. Is that correct or did I just not find a way to do so? For instance, what about the enemy from which one could get the Magitek Ashes item? I could not find a scene that triggers a fight with that enemy.

6) One of the two Long Range materia one acquires via the Kalm Traveller sidequest has its AP not set to Master, which is not much of an issue unless one finds oneself in the unfortunate position of suffering from above-average OCD.

7) Generally speaking, the difficulty Level on Arrange was more than just fair. I had finished a playthrough of Gjoerulv's Hardcore Mod just prior to my most recent playthrough of your New Threat Mod and it seems that I had a much easier time beating all the enemies in your mod than in Gjoerulv's one. That's not necessarily a bad thing or only a quality inherent to your mod, however, the differential in difficulty really did strike me. For instance, random encounters in the Northern Crater are preferably completely avoided in the Hardcore Mod, while one can comfortably use them to level up in the New Threat Mod. The optional bosses in New Threat Mod could all stand to become a bit more challenging. On an anecdotal note, I did not want to spend any time breeding a Gold Chocobo, even with the no-racing-required method, and not having realized that the Guide Book instead of the Desert Rose yields the Gold Chocobo in NTM, I set out to beat Ruby/Viridian Weapon because I wagered that it would take me much less time than doing the Chocobo breeding and I was not proven wrong. To be fair though, I did like the fact that the NTM version of Ruby Weapon is much less annoying to fight (no sky-high defensive stats and no need to set up the fight with two dead characters). Still, it appeared to me that the primarily the brevity of the fight, since the enemy had less than 300K HP, made it almost too easy for my taste.

8 ) Doubling all characters' Def and MDef via AI is somewhat game-breaking once one can attain 255 in either (made more feasible by means of HP<->MP Materia) and even more so once can attain 255 in both stats with a single character. All damage from attacks that do no use special damage formulas becomes negligible. I wonder if that was the intended way to beat FF X Nemesis in the battle arena.

9) I thoroughly enjoyed the whole Fort Condor quest obsession. ;] It was a very nice surprise to get something useful out of it at the very end.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: 2019-04-11 08:38:36 »

Thanks for giving the mod another whirl; it's still got some problems but I'm planning to fix them up soon:

1. What I'll do is patch this up tonight, I must have broken it again when changing the ending behaviour around.

2.3.4. I'm working on a final patch to leave the mod with; it's a comprehensive update, a bit like going into 1.6 (but I'll just be calling it 1.5+ to confuse people). I've reworked the kernel already but will go back in to check on the Armour and Accessories with your feedback in mind; I'll make the end-game armours a bit more rounded out and scale back on the drawbacks they have.

5. There's a lot of left-over enemies from older builds that I didn't remove from the files. The old KOTR boss is still in there, Netzcheriah/Binah (that's the one who drops Magitek Ashes if I remember right). Some others like Gil Turtle are also lurking about; they should all still be functional and can be fought if modded back in.

6. Will sort that out.

7. With NT I'm aiming more for midcore than hardcore, but I was trying to make Arrange a bit trickier so it could do the trick for players looking for a bit more of a challenge. I'm going to spec that mode up a bit (in addition to alternate field events) and make more of an effort with it. I'm restructuring the scene.bin to add a proper alternative hard-type for each story boss and will be rewriting the AI script that randoms use to boost themselves when Arrange is turned on.

8. Doubling Defence (and the Level hack) in the AI is handy in that it doesn't require .EXE modification but has several bad side-effects; like you say it makes the damage formulas lopsided once you approach the upper limit and the Level modification is worse in that it interferes with Steal/Manipulate + makes level ups past a certain point less worthwhile as they stop raising damage dealt. It's kind of redundant now that there is an .exe component with the mod, so in the final patch I'll be retiring both and trying to implement something through the .EXE instead.

9. I should have made them take all your remaining money instead, just in case they need it again in future.

Dark_kloud

• View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: 2019-04-11 21:26:56 »
Hello! Please, I need help :( My savegame crashed!!!!

When I saved my game in Junon (CD2, Weapon attack) and loaded again, there is no character on screen (Literally I only can see two soldiers running and yuffie with a cameraman).
Do you have a solution or I need to restart my game?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: 2019-04-11 22:51:31 »
Hello! Please, I need help :( My savegame crashed!!!!

When I saved my game in Junon (CD2, Weapon attack) and loaded again, there is no character on screen (Literally I only can see two soldiers running and yuffie with a cameraman).
Do you have a solution or I need to restart my game?

Did you PHS people out beforehand? I think there was an oversight where PHS was re-enabled prior to that scene and it could mess with the field. A save editor putting Barret, Cait, and Yuffie as active party should be able to fix but if not then send me the save file and I'll sort it out.

Dark_kloud

• View Profile
« Reply #7635 on: 2019-04-12 08:45:32 »
Did you PHS people out beforehand? I think there was an oversight where PHS was re-enabled prior to that scene and it could mess with the field. A save editor putting Barret, Cait, and Yuffie as active party should be able to fix but if not then send me the save file and I'll sort it out.

I tried to edit my party as you said (Barret, Cait and Yuffie) but nothing happenned. How can I send you my savefile?

Many thanks :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: 2019-04-12 11:43:04 »
If you're playing through 1998/7H, then send over the save folder located in FF7 folder. If it's steam, you'll need to go into Documents, Square-Enix, and find the user_xxxx folder (where xxxx will be a unique user-id); the save files for steam FF7 are in there and should be called save00, 01, etc.

Send them over via any filesharing service you like; google drive, dropbox, mediafire, whichever suits.

Murasame

• View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: 2019-04-12 12:55:49 »
More of a technical question of no importance but I’m curious and was wondering, is there a reason that enemy targets that have the same attacks as the player can’t have the same sound effect as the party when they attack? I’m referring to  Disc 3 spoilers

Nanaki and Yuffie’s Disc 3 boss, Nanaki and Barret when they are “guests” in the party against Yuffie and Zack

HeXy

• View Profile
    • Toast the Ghost
« Reply #7638 on: 2019-04-12 16:03:23 »
Hiya Sega Chief, is Level 5 Suicide still available from Mu's, as specified in "where is the thing.txt"?  I've been unable to obtain it, and that Train Driver on the Corel train section is aparrently vulnerable to this?

Dark_kloud

• View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: 2019-04-12 19:16:57 »
If you're playing through 1998/7H, then send over the save folder located in FF7 folder. If it's steam, you'll need to go into Documents, Square-Enix, and find the user_xxxx folder (where xxxx will be a unique user-id); the save files for steam FF7 are in there and should be called save00, 01, etc.

Send them over via any filesharing service you like; google drive, dropbox, mediafire, whichever suits.

I uploaded to mediafire, as you told me, my savefile:

If you can fix that, I'll be the happiest boy in this world  :oops:

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: 2019-04-13 18:21:35 »

I uploaded to mediafire, as you told me, my savefile:

If you can fix that, I'll be the happiest boy in this world  :oops:

Sorry for the delay:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/q3flqbbt5826ah9/save00.ff7/file

I restored party as Barret, Cait Sith, and Yuffie; triggered the scene with Yuffie reporter + sapphire weapon rising out of sea and saved game there. Important thing; if this is the Steam version, then open the FF7 Launcher before placing the save file back into the folder. Then save the game when you load it up and that'll make all save files in Save00 'safe'. If on 1998/7H version then disregard.

Dark_kloud

• View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: 2019-04-14 09:18:25 »
Sorry for the delay:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/q3flqbbt5826ah9/save00.ff7/file

I restored party as Barret, Cait Sith, and Yuffie; triggered the scene with Yuffie reporter + sapphire weapon rising out of sea and saved game there. Important thing; if this is the Steam version, then open the FF7 Launcher before placing the save file back into the folder. Then save the game when you load it up and that'll make all save files in Save00 'safe'. If on 1998/7H version then disregard.

THANK YOU! You are the best :D

When I was playing, I noticed some "errors":

* When I see limit 2-1 from aeris, it says "Recovers HP / Esuna Effect", but it only causes esuna on entire party :(
* Limit 2-2 from Nanaki: It says "magic based" but is a physical attack.
*In yuffie's sidequest, she doesn't steal all the materia (I dunno if it's a bug or not)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7642 on: 2019-04-14 15:06:14 »
THANK YOU! You are the best :D

When I was playing, I noticed some "errors":

* When I see limit 2-1 from aeris, it says "Recovers HP / Esuna Effect", but it only causes esuna on entire party :(
* Limit 2-2 from Nanaki: It says "magic based" but is a physical attack.
*In yuffie's sidequest, she doesn't steal all the materia (I dunno if it's a bug or not)

The materia theft has a limit on how many can be stolen; there's a priority list by which what will be stolen first and anything left after the list fills up is left with the party.

Sounds like Limits aren't patched, but should be fine; they're not too far away from their default counterparts.

Dark_kloud

• View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: 2019-04-14 18:56:38 »
The materia theft has a limit on how many can be stolen; there's a priority list by which what will be stolen first and anything left after the list fills up is left with the party.

Sounds like Limits aren't patched, but should be fine; they're not too far away from their default counterparts.

Thanks for your answers!

I have a last question: IS the curator only available at CD2?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: 2019-04-14 19:02:18 »
Thanks for your answers!

I have a last question: IS the curator only available at CD2?

Curator can be fought during Midgar Raid on Disc 2, and can be fought one last time on Disc 3 going through the Dark Cave sidequest (this is taken through Dio in the Battle Square's museum; I'd recommend going to bottom of north cave first though).

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: 2019-04-15 02:35:47 »
So, hey. If you're still looking at game balance stuff...

The big red dude in the northern crater? Who's name I didn't get because he can't be SENSE'd? The one who looks like a black cape at first and is encountered at the end of one of the paths before you reach the very bottom? Too hard. I spent almost a HALF HOUR fighting him before he decided to start dealing over 7,000 damage per hit. For the record, my guys are level 80-something and only have about 5-6k HP each. I couldn't keep barriers and healing up long enough to stay alive at the end. Even with him slow'd and my guys hasted. Real pain in the ass that he held on for that long and still just gets stronger. plz nerf.

[EDIT] and oh yeah, he wasn't there before, but now there's an "Ex shinra trooper" at the cave but he looks like Cid. Wrong model, maybe?
« Last Edit: 2019-04-15 04:57:58 by EmperorSteele »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: 2019-04-15 17:58:02 »
So, hey. If you're still looking at game balance stuff...

The big red dude in the northern crater? Who's name I didn't get because he can't be SENSE'd? The one who looks like a black cape at first and is encountered at the end of one of the paths before you reach the very bottom? Too hard. I spent almost a HALF HOUR fighting him before he decided to start dealing over 7,000 damage per hit. For the record, my guys are level 80-something and only have about 5-6k HP each. I couldn't keep barriers and healing up long enough to stay alive at the end. Even with him slow'd and my guys hasted. Real pain in the ass that he held on for that long and still just gets stronger. plz nerf.

[EDIT] and oh yeah, he wasn't there before, but now there's an "Ex shinra trooper" at the cave but he looks like Cid. Wrong model, maybe?

Everything's getting retuned but I'll keep this in mind.

The teleport NPC is using the old model code which is why Young Cid is appearing in its place. I'll sort that out as well.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: 2019-04-15 23:22:56 »
I think maybe he just had too much HP. It took forever for him to power up to 100% (I'm assuming a 7k hit is his full power, anyway...), and if he's that strong, he should be like, 1 or 2 hits away from death. But after screwing around with a cheat program, I saw that he still had around 50k left at that point. Yikes!

Also, the final Guard Scorpion fight in Corel? Auto-killing anyone you give a Pheonix Down to is just mean! I don't have W-Item yet and I don't keep Life 2 on each party member so I was kinda screwed there a few times, too.

I'm only complaining because you've said the intent of the mod was to be able to build your party in any way and still be able to power through. Well, I must have stumbled across the worst possible build and Materia combinations because DAMN am I having way too hard of a time with a lot of this stuff! Still enjoying it, though!

[EDIT] Did the "Dark Cave" side-quest, which was SUPER fun! But, I don't know if it properly finished, though? Dio is acting like I still have to go do it. Also, there were two ways out (and they both had 2 exit arrows with "Assist" on), but they both seem to lead back to the same place outside, and I can't go back in. Did I maybe do something wrong?
« Last Edit: 2019-04-16 02:32:41 by EmperorSteele »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: 2019-04-16 21:56:49 »
I think maybe he just had too much HP. It took forever for him to power up to 100% (I'm assuming a 7k hit is his full power, anyway...), and if he's that strong, he should be like, 1 or 2 hits away from death. But after screwing around with a cheat program, I saw that he still had around 50k left at that point. Yikes!

Also, the final Guard Scorpion fight in Corel? Auto-killing anyone you give a Pheonix Down to is just mean! I don't have W-Item yet and I don't keep Life 2 on each party member so I was kinda screwed there a few times, too.

I'm only complaining because you've said the intent of the mod was to be able to build your party in any way and still be able to power through. Well, I must have stumbled across the worst possible build and Materia combinations because DAMN am I having way too hard of a time with a lot of this stuff! Still enjoying it, though!

[EDIT] Did the "Dark Cave" side-quest, which was SUPER fun! But, I don't know if it properly finished, though? Dio is acting like I still have to go do it. Also, there were two ways out (and they both had 2 exit arrows with "Assist" on), but they both seem to lead back to the same place outside, and I can't go back in. Did I maybe do something wrong?

None of the bosses are set to auto-kill people who have been revived from KO, but I know too well that it does feel like they intentionally go after freshly revived characters sometimes.

I did intend for all the builds to be viable but I don't think the mod's end-game was designed tightly enough to make it true in every case. But there's a lot of other factors like how the party is set up, the bosses themselves, etc. You can definitely beat all of them regardless of build/party but some will make it tougher than others.

Dark Cave was kind of finished in a hurry, so it just kind of ends.

Dark_kloud

• View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: 2019-04-17 23:16:44 »
Hello! Sega Chief, I found a way for unlimited sources  :-[

If I reset SP ranks to 1/8, my stats are the same (They don't change from 8/8 to 1/8) so if I go to 8/8 again, I'll have max stats (If I do it a few times)