Author Topic: Adjusting the brightness levels?  (Read 3948 times)

Jedimark

• View Profile
Adjusting the brightness levels?
« on: 2004-03-22 14:55:43 »
Okay so my brother asked me to bring back FFVII from uni so he could play it over the easter holidays. So I have it installed... it runs perfectly on the computer (windows xp!) and I even got it to work with NoCD's (easy as pie... don't know why some people have problems doing it) the problem is that the computer is quite old and has a naff graphics card. Think it is a Diamond Vipper II. Anyway.. the screen appears really dark and it makes moving around certain places <I.e the sewers in Midgar> quite hard.

I messed around with the Gamma settings in the Graphics Card settings but the game doesnt seem to use these settings at all. So my question is does anyone know of a way to adjust the brightness settings?

Version = 1.02 + Chocobo Patch
Running in Software Rendering mode

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-22 17:12:26 »
Try modifying brightness on monitor  :P
Or try to see if there are specific settings for 3D applications OpenGl or something, they sometimes have separated settings.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-22 20:31:42 »
Yeah monitor settings are on max and there are no specific settings for applications in the properties... looks like it aint gunna happen then huh.. nevermind.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-22 21:07:03 »
Seems that some Adobe programs (i.e., Photoshop) come with a little Gamma app that you can use to adjust brightness (I used it on the laptop I used to use, it worked fine).  It gets installed to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration - there's Adobe Gamma Loader.exe (a shortcut to this is automatically put in the Startup folder) and Adobe Gamma.cpl (a Windows control panel, copy it to your system32 folder on Win2K/XP for it to show up in your control panels if its not already there), and a readme file.  You can use the control panel to make adjustments.  I dunno if its settings will affect FF7, but, worth a try I guess.

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-03-22 21:26:51 »
Maybe powerstrip?

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2004-03-25 17:05:04 »
Aaron's solution of using the Adobe Gamma application has worked... my brother can now actually see the Chocobo tracks next to the farm on the world map!

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-03-25 17:51:20 »
I think powerstrip adjusts the actual light levels as apposed to gamma. It can make pitch-black rooms in half-life bright as day.

Oh here is the link: http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm.