Author Topic: V For Vendetta  (Read 5586 times)

Jedimark

• View Profile
V For Vendetta
« on: 2006-08-06 17:59:19 »
I love this film. I’ve wasted most of my weekend watching it (and re-watching it). Has anyone else seen it?
If you haven't heard about it... it's adapted by the Wachowski Brothers (The Matrix) and set in a Totalitarian-London where one man tries to do what Guy Fawkes failed to do and blow up Parliament.
It's quite political and I suppose it's about a battle between freedom and the state and it's quite un-nerving seeing what could happen if we gave the government our total obedience and the ideas are probably not that far-fetched any more! (Think ID cards etc…)
Anyway, go watch it for yourself and make up your own mind.
Naturally it has some kick-ass fight scenes, Natalie Portman has an unbelievably sexy English accent (even if it really is not that convincing) and Hugo Weaving as V is brilliant!
It's got some pretty interesting dialogue in it as well:
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

knives

• View Profile
Re: V For Vendetta
« Reply #1 on: 2006-08-06 20:14:55 »
I like this film as well.
Tons of action, great story.
A must see.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-08-06 20:57:29 »
I actually just watched it for the first time on saturday myself, Was awesome!

Very good structure and storytelling.

Khaos1987

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-08-06 21:36:39 »
Having the government control your life, like in the movie, is not as far away as it sounds. I mean it's a good movie, but I take it as more of a warning then for entertainment.

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-08-06 23:10:33 »
Having the government control your life, like in the movie, is not as far away as it sounds. I mean it's a good movie, but I take it as more of a warning then for entertainment.

Woah there, killer. Pull the reins up; I think you're making a pretty big assumption by saying that the government will control your life someday. George Orwell thought that complete government control would be in effect by 1984; he was wrong, wasn't he? Granted, that was a time period in which many people lived in fear, you know, Communism pushing its boundaries, missile issues, etc. etc., don't think we need to go there...but on the whole, I think that people will always maintain some sort of control of their lives of government. At least in the United States.

As to the movie: Never seen it! Heard it was worth seeing though.

APOSEIGd15

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-08-07 05:28:16 »
Amazingly good movie, but I only remember one really great action scene.  The V is amazingly resourceful though.
I agree it's a mostly political movie though, and all about reforming and revolution.

Khaos1987

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-08-07 05:48:45 »
I didn't mean we would wake up one day and be slapped by Uncle Sam. (Did I come off like that?) I didn't mean something like you might go to get a driver's license only to have the lady say something like "I'm sorry sir. But it says here you voted for a democratic canidate. That means that you don't believe that our current administration can lead America. Oh my...and it also says here you drive an electric car. So you don't wish for the american gas companies to stay in buisiness? That's bad sir, you should love your country. Only people who love our country are allowed to drive here. That's what the 47th amendment says. I'm going to recommend you for patriotism training classes. Are you free on Tuesdays at 5:00 pm next month?"

I just meant that the more rights and freedoms we lose, the more power over our lives the government gains.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-08-07 23:45:37 »
Oh, I remeber this movie. A very well made one. It's for sure the best movie I've seen in the last 2 years at least. Anyway, that's not very hard :-P.
About the message of the movie, you must take care that the comic this movie is based on was written while Margater Tatcher was the british prime minister. It's not hard to see how that bitch could inspire someone to think about a future resembling that depicted by the movie.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-08-08 13:44:02 »
Bought it on bootleg in China for .77USD. Have yet to watch the poor quality camrip...

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-08-10 21:44:55 »