Author Topic: SOLVED: Combining Kernels  (Read 3819 times)

Lonewuhf

• View Profile
SOLVED: Combining Kernels
« on: 2011-06-18 19:10:01 »
I'm trying to get both Gjoerulv's increased difficulty mod and Ultima Espio Final Fantasy VII Aeris patch's mods working together.  Ultima Espio said that it's possible if I edit Gjoerulv's kernel with the changes from his.  I'm looking at WallMarket but I'm not sure how to accomplish this.  Can anyone help out?
« Last Edit: 2011-06-24 20:18:18 by Bosola »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Combining Kernels
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-18 22:04:00 »
I know of no way to do a 'merge' of kernels.

Incidentally, I wonder if this is one of many reasons to make editors write to 'project' files rather than the end-result binaries. With a 'project' file, we can record revisions and authorship, we can tag certain changes as 'linked' to specific kinds of mods (so we can 'switch' elements on and off for different builds), and exploit a whole host of other miscellaneous features.

Thoughts?

Kuroda Masahiro

• Stopped modding FF7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-19 21:49:21 »
Ultima Espio only modified the umbrella IIRC, so in order to get the changes he did from his kernal to the hardcore mod, all you need to do is open his kernal and gjoe's kernal and replicate the stats and effects for the umbrella in gjoe's kernal.

Lonewuhf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-20 03:07:03 »
Ultima Espio only modified the umbrella IIRC, so in order to get the changes he did from his kernal to the hardcore mod, all you need to do is open his kernal and gjoe's kernal and replicate the stats and effects for the umbrella in gjoe's kernal.

Excellent.  Would I then just copy Espio's .lgp files (after they're extracted of course) over gjoe's?  Or would it be the other way around?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-20 18:34:33 »
*facepalm*

Why does everyone forget you can export changes and re-import them? That's the perfect way to merge several of them:

Step 1: Have an unmodified KERNEL.BIN
Step 2: Have modified KERNEL.BINs
Step 3: Open one of the modified KERNEL.BINs
Step 4: Create Changes file (File -> Create Change Patch)
Step 5: Compare Open KERNEL.BIN with unmodified KERNEL.BIN file
Step 6: Save patch file.
Step 7: Repeat Steps 3-6 for all modified KERNEL.BINs
Step 8: Create a copy of the unmodified KERNEL.BIN
Step 9: Open that KERNEL.BIN and apply patches in whatever order you wish (for patches with changes to the same data, the last patch to be applied will overwrite all previous changes)

If that doesn't work. Tell me. That's what that function is supposed to do.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-24 20:18:02 »
Closing as solved.

If you have any problems with NFITC1's method, raise them in the Wallmarket thread.