Author Topic: Classic games you would like to see remade.  (Read 22399 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Classic games you would like to see remade.
« Reply #25 on: 2011-01-12 04:20:02 »
Too bad SEGA doesn't give a crap about the classics anymore.

That's not entirely true. They did make a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles that they released for WiiWare in 2010 (and it was actually pretty awesome). Seriously, 16 years later. :P And in all honesty I think that sonic belongs in the realm of 2d. I refuse to ever play a 3d sonic game. :C
Don't you dare call Sonic 4 Episode 1 pretty awesome. The music and physics were both pretty problematic. It was okay, I beat it, but it was very much not a sincere effort on SEGA's part.

But that aside, there's no way they will ever do ANYTHING with the true classics other than emulate them.

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-01-12 04:57:09 »

That's not entirely true. They did make a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles that they released for WiiWare in 2010 (and it was actually pretty awesome). Seriously, 16 years later. :P And in all honesty I think that sonic belongs in the realm of 2d. I refuse to ever play a 3d sonic game. :C
Don't you dare call Sonic 4 Episode 1 pretty awesome. The music and physics were both pretty problematic. It was okay, I beat it, but it was very much not a sincere effort on SEGA's part.

But that aside, there's no way they will ever do ANYTHING with the true classics other than emulate them.

Awww come on, it was enjoyable. XD At least when you compare it to the new sonic games they're coming up with today (srsly, someone in that company is trying to ruin Sonic).

But yeah at first I was all "where's my momentum?" but I got used to the controls pretty fast. It also brought back a lot of memories and nostalgia. :3 Music isn't what it used to be but apparently they were trying to have the same feel as the old games.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011-01-12 05:39:32 »
Final Fantasy 6 should be remade to look like this:
http://coelasquid.deviantart.com/art/Uwee-hee-hee-hee-62201166

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011-01-12 17:53:47 »
Wondering how a Carmageddon would look like these days.
I guess it would be heavily influenced by the sales, as it would get a higher age cap for the violence.

Back in the days, games didn't care about that, if a char was smoking to give some relevance to the char, they would do it, sex with hokers, child killer perks, drive by a bunch of people, pee-ing someone, etc. Games like that would never see daylight these days.

I miss the old days.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2011-01-12 18:16:28 »
Someone is remaking Sonic Extreme!
He uses the leaked levels and textures.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2011-01-12 18:53:53 »
The original Diablo. With an extended storyline and the ability of infinite dungeons and level ups. Considering the tiny size ofthe first game, I think they could accomplish a seemingly endless game with relative ease. Curious to see Diablo 3. But still believe 1 is the best.

Yes, I completely agree, 1 is the best. It's atmospheric music, and focus on horror creates a feeling that diablo 2 certainly lacked, and Diablo 3 definitely will not recreate (it's by the people who made WoW so, I doubt we will see such a focus on horror)

Fighting the butcher for the first time ever was terrifying. Also, despite there only being 3 armor changes based on the class of armor - all of them were exceptionally well designed - especially the warrior, every time i got a new tier of armor it made me feel more badass. I would love to see a remake in exactly the same way but with more - the original character classes, the original sounds, and animations to match. I would love to make a mod for a game to remake it, but sadly my understanding of coding is very slim at the moment.

Also, not a remake - but I'd like to see a sequel to Quake 1. That game was probably the most original of ID's games (besides Heretic/Hexen - which were Raven)
The environments were so cool in that game, from high-tech bases to medieval castles, to weird otherworldly "runic" designs with a lot of metalwork. Add the ambient style of music, and the lovecraftian monsters - it really made an eerie experience. A sequel could be amazing.

I was disappointed how Quake 2 went back to all base/installation as its environment - it felt like a combo between Quake and Doom, but more like the latter - the Weapons were almost the same, and the enemies weren't even as good as Quake or Doom. Shame ID continued the Q2 part of the series instead of the original.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011-01-12 20:49:25 »

Awww come on, it was enjoyable. XD At least when you compare it to the new sonic games they're coming up with today (srsly, someone in that company is trying to ruin Sonic).

But yeah at first I was all "where's my momentum?" but I got used to the controls pretty fast. It also brought back a lot of memories and nostalgia. :3 Music isn't what it used to be but apparently they were trying to have the same feel as the old games.
Someone hasn't played Sonic Colors. That game was so kickass, imagine Super Mario Galaxy if it was a Sonic game. It's got good controls (even in the 3D areas), better physics, incredible music, and basically everything that Unleashed did right and no werehog.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2011-01-12 23:17:32 »
I'd like to see a sequel to Quake 1. That game was probably the most original of ID's games (besides Heretic/Hexen - which were Raven)
The environments were so cool in that game, from high-tech bases to medieval castles, to weird otherworldly "runic" designs with a lot of metalwork. Add the ambient style of music, and the lovecraftian monsters - it really made an eerie experience. A sequel could be amazing.

I was disappointed how Quake 2 went back to all base/installation as its environment - it felt like a combo between Quake and Doom, but more like the latter - the Weapons were almost the same, and the enemies weren't even as good as Quake or Doom. Shame ID continued the Q2 part of the series instead of the original.

i totally agree with the quake I comments, i played the hell out of that game....beat it over and over and over. If you never bothered, Trent Reznor created a soundtrack for it, but it was sadly never implemented into the final game. I would check it out if you interested in his take on Quake.

As far as Quake II goes, i totally loved the singleplayer and multiplayer. Quake had MP mods, but quake II blew the whole genre of modding games wide open. Also, the soundtrack is my all time favorite, well actually the only game soundtrack I can remember without hearing it. You could play it straight off the CD, and i remember rolling in my first car jamming it loud as hell.....yeah....dork.

lee

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2011-01-13 09:03:02 »
i totally agree with the quake I comments, i played the hell out of that game....beat it over and over and over. If you never bothered, Trent Reznor created a soundtrack for it, but it was sadly never implemented into the final game. I would check it out if you interested in his take on Quake.
what do you mean? he did the soundtrack.

too bad only the first track is awesome.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2011-01-13 09:47:47 »

Sonic 4 Episode 1 was pretty awesome.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2011-01-13 10:40:51 »

If you never bothered, Trent Reznor created a soundtrack for it, but it was sadly never implemented into the final game. I would check it out if you interested in his take on Quake.

Hmm? There was a soundtrack, and it came on the original CD version and it played when you put it in - most modern ports allow you to put the tracks in the folder so you don't need the CD to play.

I used to take the CD out whenever I played as a kid because the soundtrack made me scared of it. Now I love it, fits perfectly with the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5Jvr2Fp48

too bad only the first track is awesome.

The other tracks really aren't meant to be "listened to" as the first one is. They are simply meant to give the game an eerie fee, and they do accomplish their task fairly well given the style of monsters and the level architecture.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-13 19:03:01 by bloodshot »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-01-14 02:28:29 »
hmmmm...maybe im thinking of quake II?? i recall a number of Ni tracks were created for one of the quake games, but scrapped after the fact. I downloaded them ages ago and they were a great addition.....
googling.....
nevermind, he did the initial design on doom III, but his worked was scrapped. They can still be downloaded as an add on pack though.

for anyone who never heard the quake II sound track, give this a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvRYVSQS2_s

best soundtrack of any game i've ever played. Guitars are cruchy but not over repetative. If you like this one, i'd recommend getting the full album. Its great music to listen to if you can where headphones at work.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2011-01-14 02:56:33 »
Crash Team Racing... and i mean a real remake that would keep the SAME fun and amazing gameplay! (Crash Nitro Kart just didnt live up to my expectations at all...)

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2011-01-14 04:20:42 »
for anyone who never heard the quake II sound track, give this a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvRYVSQS2_s

best soundtrack of any game i've ever played. Guitars are cruchy but not over repetative. If you like this one, i'd recommend getting the full album. Its great music to listen to if you can where headphones at work.

I always preferred Doom's soundtrack over Q2's Idk, something about the style of Q2's music and it's execution just put me off a bit - I don't mind it at all, some of it is pretty good but I've never really gone out of my way to listen to it - except for one song that I really enjoy - Descent into Cerberon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WojopwjrsnY&feature=related

Idk why, but i F***ing love this song. It's my fav out of all the Q2 tracks, and It really gets you pumped. Also, a song that i find reminds me of this a little bit, but in a different way is the Redbook Descent soundtrack for the second level (or first, forgot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGUsZ20LUk It's a remix of the SB OPL synth version (NOT the General MIDI version - that one sucks) done with real instruments and It's kick ass.

Descent is another game that seriously needs a remake. It was revolutionary for the time, then D2 improved it, and there was - one clone. The closest thing we see to it is space sims now, but the ONLY game that was ever a semi-successful clone of it was Forsaken (which wasn't too great imo)  Fortunately, Interplay has just acquired enough money to start working on their franchises again - and they said one of which is Descent.

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2011-01-14 17:39:36 »
@Bloodshot

I'm into modding for D1/D2 and I found a mod for D1 called Diablo Awakening think you should check it out just google search ;) It's on MODDB

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #40 on: 2011-01-14 20:17:04 »
Road Rash Online  :-o You can already shoot people around the world and cast lightning bolts and fireballs at them...why not make a game where we can race them whilst beating them with a chain or poking them with a cattle prod?

EDIT - Seriously though, a modern Road Rash would probably be awesome.  Give bikes the customizability of Gran Turismo or Need for Speed, add dozens of weapons instead of just a few, and with 3D maps/tracks I think it would be sweet.  I know they made that one RR game for PSX way back, but I'm thinking more Road Rash 2
« Last Edit: 2011-01-14 20:21:23 by xLostWingx »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2011-01-14 21:01:46 »
Road Rash Online  :-o You can already shoot people around the world and cast lightning bolts and fireballs at them...why not make a game where we can race them whilst beating them with a chain or poking them with a cattle prod?

EDIT - Seriously though, a modern Road Rash would probably be awesome.  Give bikes the customizability of Gran Turismo or Need for Speed, add dozens of weapons instead of just a few, and with 3D maps/tracks I think it would be sweet.  I know they made that one RR game for PSX way back, but I'm thinking more Road Rash 2

i agree, that would be a totally sick game. The franchise died on a low note, which was the PSX game. Horrid controls and sounds were just a few of the problems, and the game felt like an outlaw sim rather than the "professional" racing w/weapons that the sega genesis games were. I would be all for a game such as this though.

Also, anyone remember destruction derby 1 and 2 on the PSX? They were such a blast to play, especially the bowl levels where you just beat the hell out of each other. I don't think DD has been done as good since.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2011-01-15 13:16:17 »
Had both RR and DD for PSX back in the day. Fun games.
Too bad i lended them and never had my sight on them again.

Relenanator

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2011-01-22 11:32:01 »
Grandia 1, 2, and The whole Arc The Lad Collection. Same VA's for for the Grandia characters and no f*cking VA's for the Arc characters. If there's no talking in a game I'd rather it stay that way. Voice Actors now days can really kill off good characters.

If I could have them redo/change one thing completely, it would be Elc and Lieza's relationship. They both seem to get close to each other in Arc 2 but then you play Arc 3 and they're both living their own lives and neither one speaks of the other. Stupid rage ending.

« Last Edit: 2011-01-22 11:38:59 by Relenanator »

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2011-01-22 20:26:04 »
Grandia I and II were more different than FF VI and VII,
you couldnt believe they were written by the same company.

I would like to see a remake of the Lucas Arts fractal games
Rescue on Fractalus
Koronis Rift
The Edolon

they use a really unique drawing code derived from mountain rendering tools for movies,but were limited by slow hardware.

Relenanator

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2011-01-24 21:44:33 »
Grandia I and II were more different than FF VI and VII,
you couldnt believe they were written by the same company.

Wait they were? I don't remember Square Soft/Enix being in the franchise until Grandia 3 (which bombed badly) I'll have to read the covers again.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2011-01-24 23:35:48 »
The Grandia series has always been developed by Game Arts. Every game in the series since II, including spin-offs, has been published by Enix (more recently Square-Enix), but they never developed.

Aeris

• ~~Princess~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2011-01-27 20:17:02 »
remake Parasite Eve 1 & 2 prease. i loves my Aya Brea!!! :D

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2011-01-27 20:41:59 »
I want new games that don't suck, old games are for shedding tears of nostalgia. New games should have this same value for future.

MADDOGG

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2011-02-04 22:35:13 »
super mario world,  best game i played when i was young still play it now if i could
Teenage mutant ninja turtle- turtle in time
zelda- a link to the past
chrono trigger
annd last but not least ......(drumroll).......metroid 3

yes im a big fan of the snes