Author Topic: Thoughts about "Final Fantasy XIII"  (Read 24016 times)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Thoughts about "Final Fantasy XIII"
« Reply #25 on: 2010-02-27 14:29:39 »
Hey 10 had some great gameplay mechanics! It just happened to be the case that the plot was dry and the characters were dull.

Likewise. Pure turnbased and the ability to easily telegraph turns made for better battles, and offered the player scope to actually plan their strategies, rather than fumble around, hoping that Enemy X won't attack before Tifa gets fullcured or whatever. Status inflicting attacks actually worth using, enemies with intuitive and useful weaknesses, and cleaned up battle mechanics all made FFX a strong game.

On the other hand:

HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-02-27 15:24:03 »
Hey 10 had some great gameplay mechanics! It just happened to be the case that the plot was dry and the characters were dull.

This. I quite enjoyed FFX from a gameplay perspective.

Likewise. Pure turnbased and the ability to easily telegraph turns made for better battles, and offered the player scope to actually plan their strategies, rather than fumble around, hoping that Enemy X won't attack before Tifa gets fullcured or whatever.

This is why I changed the battle system to "wait" in FF7. :P

Also, this "Heavy Rain" sounds a lot like a visual novel, except in 3D; it's quite intriguing.

Are there any H-scenes? :D

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-02-27 15:56:43 »
It has boobies in it, yes.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-02-27 17:36:02 »
It has boobies in it, yes.
buying it.
 :D

Jari

« Reply #29 on: 2010-02-27 17:47:13 »
Well, their previous effort, Fahrenheit had even sex minigame. ;D I was surprised enough to almost miss it, before I realized it's an akshual QTE. :P

To prevent people getting the wrong idea; Fahrenheit is an excellent game. With the worst plot twist ever. But still excellent. And it's not sleazy or anything like that - it's simply aimed at adults.

Heavy Rain is probably the only PS3 exclusive I'll miss. It's too bad it won't be coming to PC.

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-03-01 01:13:45 »
Well, their previous effort, Fahrenheit had even sex minigame. ;D

Haha that reminds me of this optional sex mini game toward the beginning of God of War. The camera moves away as you get into bed with two prostitutes and you have to press the right buttons/spin around the analog stick at the right time n you get orbs at the end if you did good. o___o (Since when do prostitutes pay YOU?)

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #31 on: 2010-03-01 13:16:52 »
but still just as boring as FFX.

TT.TT i liked FFX

Jari

« Reply #32 on: 2010-03-01 15:48:55 »
(Since when do prostitutes pay YOU?)

Since you became Kratos. ;D

Kratos - much like Chuck Norris - is different. It's only logical that prostitutes would pay him for the privilege.  :-D

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-03-05 18:20:21 »
NPR just reviewed Heavy Rain, and their first sentence mentions FF7 :lol:

(there should really be a rofl smiley for moments like these)

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-03-05 18:31:31 »
I agree that an explorable world map make a game seem so much better. When everything is set paths, it seems far to linear, and predictable. If there were a world map in FFX it would have been more fun to pilgrimage around Spira because you wouldn't have a set path, and not necessarily know where you're going the entire time. And be able to veer off into random areas. Sometimes you even find something new in those areas.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-03-05 18:38:05 »
I kind of understand the linearity in ffx, as given summoners had been going on pilgrimages for near to a thousand years, the path they took was probably fairly well known. It would've been nice to have a bit more diversity, but at least vs. ff13, although you did always tend to go "forward" in ffx, not all the maps were straight lines :P

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-03-05 21:28:43 »
So, the Xbox360 port of FF13 is getting raped all over the internet (possible NSFW, and no, the game isn't getting literally raped :D).

A lot of people are making a big deal of the fact that the game takes up 18GB across the three 360 discs compared to 38GB on one blu-ray. What none of them ever seem to mention is that the situation is worse than that: if they'd modded FF7 ;D, they'd know that a lot of that 18GB is redundant data that had to be repeated because it needed to be on the three discs. FF7 is, what, something like 1.6 GB across the discs? But it's really only about 2/3 of that, because everything except the movies has to be shared on all of the discs, resulting in hundreds of megabytes of redundant data. It seems that people commenting on this issue think that splitting a game over several discs is like splitting a .rar file: it isn't. Then again, I hear that PS3 games often have redundant data in order to lower the load times or some stupid shit like that...

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 2010-03-05 22:00:25 »
So basically, the above told us that the PS3 is slightly better from a technical perspective? Someone should find that journo and welcome him to 2007 ; )

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-03-05 22:05:54 »
Well Squeenix made a big deal about both versions being equal, so it's rather amusing that they're not.

Also, multiplats are often better on the 360, for some reason (apparently it's easier to make games for it or something because the PS3 is weird). Bayonetta is a classic example of this.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #39 on: 2010-03-06 01:10:42 »
Instead of wasting your money, if you have a PS3, buy Heavy Rain.  It is remarkably well done and hopefully its success will encourage other developers to be creative and try new things with videogames.

Well I'm still getting FFXIII but what the hell is Heavy Rain exactly? I read the wiki and that NPR article Opine linked, but they both left me saying WTF?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-03-06 01:17:48 »
Heavy Rain is basically an interactive movie.  A "choose your own destiny" sort of game.  It's very good, and you'll have to replay it at least one more time to truly appreciate it.
If you have a PS3, download the demo.  And then realize that the two parts you play aren't even almost the best parts of it.

Don't look up too much of it though, you don't want to ruin the twist at the end.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #41 on: 2010-03-06 01:23:08 »
Alright, I'm sold. I'm going to have to at least download the demo. It sounds... different but deep (which is good).

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-03-06 01:28:31 »
Perhaps someone should change the topic to thoughts on heavy rain

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #43 on: 2010-03-10 21:14:59 »
Heavy rain... Yeah, great story with good twists and choose your own destiny stuff. But, man, the gameplay  >:(. Really annoying at times. Why should it be a challenge to open a friggin door? </offtopic>

I haven't played ffxiii yet, but, to be honest, I don't have high expectations. Stilll, I'm convinced there's more good things to say bout' it than bad things. Why absolutely focus on the negative. Adaptation and open mind anyone?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-03-10 21:28:56 »
Heavy rain... Yeah, great story with good twists and choose your own destiny stuff. But, man, the gameplay  >:(. Really annoying at times. Why should it be a challenge to open a friggin door? </offtopic>

I haven't played ffxiii yet, but, to be honest, I don't have high expectations. Stilll, I'm convinced there's more good things to say bout' it than bad things. Why absolutely focus on the negative. Adaptation and open mind anyone?
SE is much like my dog.  After I see him fail to understand how to open my screen door countless times, my hope in him actually figuring it out is pretty minimal.  But on rare occasion he does get lucky and figure it out, though that's only after countless scratches and ear piercing whining.

I give myself a 9/10 for that analogy

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010-03-11 19:48:54 »
I think Red XIII should make a cameo appearance in this game... >>

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-03-12 18:13:41 »
Just got back from the store a little while ago, BRB "FACING DESTINY"

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #47 on: 2010-03-17 18:55:11 »
i find it slightly funny, alot of people on here thought it would suck big time and now, alot of people on here are praising it :P

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010-03-17 22:01:55 »
Got my copy of XIII last week, only started playing today. just got halfway to Ch.2 and got to the introduction of the new leveling system.

ITS A SPHERE GRID IN 3D!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010-03-18 03:02:58 »
Got my copy of XIII last week, only started playing today. just got halfway to Ch.2 and got to the introduction of the new leveling system.

ITS A SPHERE GRID IN 3D!
Fuck, I hated the sphere grid. Maybe I won't get this game.