Author Topic: Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v.1-.7.6]  (Read 761079 times)

_Ombra_

• View Profile
    • http://www.sadnescity.it
Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v.1-.7.6]
« Reply #750 on: 2009-07-16 14:42:47 »
Aali, our team worked on the Italian translation of the game but we use a modified EXE from the spanish version. Since i know that your driver does checks on the executable, is there a way you could add those checks in the config file? let's say, a list of the various CRCs or whatever other check you do on them?

I know you don't want people to use nocd versions of the EXE so you could somehow check the specific offsets for the typical instructions and still be able to accept any other EXE.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: 2009-07-16 14:49:51 »
There is no CRC check, and unless you have modified the code in any way, your modified EXE should still identify as the spanish version and work fine.

Litude

« Reply #752 on: 2009-07-16 22:17:12 »
This is truly a great improvement to the way FF7 can be played. I remember just a year ago having to search through a bunch of patches to get the correct ones yet there still existed some (luckily though quite minor) problems, but with this one they all seem to be fixed under one single label (well except for that FMV sound mute, does anyone know of any workaround by the way?)! And I never even dreamt about being able to play the game with my native widescreen resolution but it seems like this patch makes just about everything possible :D.

I don't know if anyone has reported it yet, but it seems like the fake_midi does cause some problems with FF7 Music. That is I've experienced the music getting cut off after a battle during two events. First time was when you were supposed to go help Barrett in preventing Shinra from destroying that one pillar (very close to the start of the game). This suspension music starts playing and and it keeps playing when you enter the first random encounter. However once you win the encounter the music goes completely silent (until another track is supposed to start playing). Same thing happened when I was going for the first visit to the Shinra headquarters. I took the straight path in and again the suspension music started playing and then after the first battle the music was again completely silent. And yeah it happens each time after the first battle.

And yes I've checked that it is caused by this fake_midi setting, because if I don't use it the music doesn't stop playing after this first battle but then I either have to play with no sounds or with both MIDI and my enhanced music playing which isn't that great :-P.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: 2009-07-16 22:26:19 »
I see, I'll have to test that when I get home. fake_midi was not tested beyond generic battle/worldmap/field transitions, there may very well be some bugs.

Please keep reporting any odd music-related issues you run into with this setting :-)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: 2009-07-16 23:46:20 »

And yes I've checked that it is caused by this fake_midi setting, because if I don't use it the music doesn't stop playing after this first battle but then I either have to play with no sounds or with both MIDI and my enhanced music playing which isn't that great :-P.
This is a fake_midi problem? I'd assumed it was a problem with FF7Music. Hmm, I'll have to mention that in my FF7Music tutorial.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: 2009-07-16 23:52:47 »
Well, as I understand it, if music cuts out after *any* random battle, you have bigger problems. But if it only happens during "special" scenes (scripted or otherwise) it could be a problem with fake_midi.

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: 2009-07-17 00:23:11 »
Well, as I understand it, if music cuts out after *any* random battle, you have bigger problems. But if it only happens during "special" scenes (scripted or otherwise) it could be a problem with fake_midi.

Just wanted to poke my nose in and say I've experienced the same thing as Litude. Typically fake_midi works wonderfully with FF7 Music, but in those few scenarios there does seem to be a conflict. Other than that, GREAT job, and a hearty thank you from this fan!

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: 2009-07-17 00:36:51 »
I'll have to look into that then. It's probably due to some check I'm not performing before telling FF7Music to shut up :)

Starting with the next release, all music and movie code will be open-source and accessible to anyone. This is something I've already implemented, music and movies are already handled by plugins in my local environment.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: 2009-07-17 02:22:08 »
Will any custom shader work with this driver? I'm having a look around the net just now to see what I can find.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: 2009-07-17 02:42:19 »
Any shader could be adapted to this driver, but they probably wont work with this out of the box.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: 2009-07-17 02:50:44 »
Any shader could be adapted to this driver, but they probably wont work with this out of the box.

I thought that too, until about 5 minutes ago. I've so far found about 12 shaders that make the game look awesome, particularly the "Cartoon Shaders". They really add that anime effect!

However, they do look slightly off in some places. I'm learning just now how to change the code, I'm hoping I might be of some use. Will probably post screenshots. Awesome!

MEPHiST0

« Reply #761 on: 2009-07-17 04:33:06 »
hey, i get a crash when entering a battle and using this patch

MIDI is playing SUCCESSFULLY!!!
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 658
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
ERROR: unhandled exception <------

crashes no matter what battle, u see the battleswirl and then the msg, Oops something bad happened.

any ideas?

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: 2009-07-17 04:36:38 »
Could you post the first 10 lines of your APP.LOG as well?

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: 2009-07-17 04:47:08 »
I thought that too, until about 5 minutes ago. I've so far found about 12 shaders that make the game look awesome, particularly the "Cartoon Shaders". They really add that anime effect!

However, they do look slightly off in some places. I'm learning just now how to change the code, I'm hoping I might be of some use. Will probably post screenshots. Awesome!

Are you using the shaders for Pete's OpenGL2 Plugin? I downloaded a bunch of those and have been trying them out, but so far none of the effects have been spectacular. Then again, I don't really know what I'm doing, so there might be some configuring I need to be doing.

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: 2009-07-17 04:50:52 »

As a user of ePSXe and Pete's OpenGL2, I've used some of the GLSL subs that can reallly give extra color/depth/clarity even to prerendered backgrounds. It would be a nice bonus to maybe include some modified GLSL's and some instructions on how to inert or change them in the GL engine.  Maybe it might not be a bad idea to even set up a front-end loader where alll the resolutions, AA, and GLSL's could be selected and saved, lixe Pete's OGL loader.. Just a suggestion.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #765 on: 2009-07-17 04:52:57 »
OK - Using the shaders found in this shader pack - http://www.pbernert.com/pete_ogl2_guest_shaders_v1.zip

(Meant for use with Pete's OpenGL2 Plugin for PSX emulation)

I was able to implement a few of these. I don't quite know how to change the code myself, but I'm sure someone will. I've uploaded a few images that might interest some ^_^

These were taken using Advanced Cartoon Shader I

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g40/phoenixheaven/cartoonexample1menu.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g40/phoenixheaven/cartoonexample1wm.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g40/phoenixheaven/cartoonexample1battle.jpg

Advanced cartoon shader I looks a bit washed out, which is a shame. My favourite by far of them all is Advanced Cartoon Shader II (and I tested every single shader in that pack and then some) though it's obviously not meant for FFVIIPC, if it was written or changed specifically for that in mind I'm sure we'd see the intended effect. I'll look into it some tomorrow.

For the time being, it's 6am and I haven't slept yet. Goodnight!

These were taken using Advanced Cartoon Shader II

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g40/phoenixheaven/cartoonexample2menu.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g40/phoenixheaven/cartoonexample2wm.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g40/phoenixheaven/cartoonexample2battle.jpg

Are you using the shaders for Pete's OpenGL2 Plugin? I downloaded a bunch of those and have been trying them out, but so far none of the effects have been spectacular. Then again, I don't really know what I'm doing, so there might be some configuring I need to be doing.

Yes, and some others too. I know what you mean about none of the effects being spectacular, I'm assuming that's because it's meant to be used in conjunction with Pete's plugin and not this one. Not to mention ePSXe. I don't know what I'm doing either!
« Last Edit: 2009-07-17 04:55:16 by Prince Lex »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: 2009-07-17 13:20:31 »

crashes no matter what battle, u see the battleswirl and then the msg, Oops something bad happened.

any ideas?

Please post a copy of crash.dmp

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: 2009-07-17 18:48:24 »
Yes, and some others too. I know what you mean about none of the effects being spectacular, I'm assuming that's because it's meant to be used in conjunction with Pete's plugin and not this one. Not to mention ePSXe. I don't know what I'm doing either!

Okay, I think we're using some of the same ones then. All I was doing at first was enabling post processing and pointing the configuration file to one of the shader files, usually the .slf one. And I was getting similar effects to what you got in your screenshots. But then I got to thinking, and the .slf file must be the frag file, and .slv file must be the vert file, so I substituted those for the main shaders, but none of them worked - I was getting lots of weird graphical artifacts, if I could see the screen at all. I think that's what Aali meant when he said it was unlikely they'd work 'out of the box.'

MEPHiST0

« Reply #768 on: 2009-07-17 20:41:42 »

any ideas?

Please post a copy of crash.dmp

K Crash.dmp is uploaded to the link here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0umymnm3gzn

never had this problem before, i tried reinstalling it too even tho i had a fresh install and v1.02
if u need anything else let me know, and thanks for your time Aali

here is the entire APP.log after a crash:
Code: [Select]
INFO: Auto-detected version: 1.02 US English
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1024x768, output resolution 1024x768, internal resolution 1280x960
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
INITIALIZING MIDI...
selecting device 0:Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, mid=1, pid=102,
midi data type: GENERAL MIDI
using midi data file: c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\Data\midi\midi.lgp
midiOutGetVolume returned: ffffffff
MIDI INITIALIZED
set music volume: 127
MIDI set volume: 127
100% of 127 = 127
MIDI set master volume: 100
100% of 127 = 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\Data\Movies\eidoslogo.avi; truemotion2/pcm_u8 320x240, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 10.133333, frames: 152
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
MIDI set volume trans: 127->0; step=60
MIDI stop - OK
MIDI stop - OK
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
100% of 127 = 127
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
SET VOLUME 5: 127
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\save/save00.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\save/save02.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\save/save03.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\save/save04.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\save/save05.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\save/save06.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\save/save07.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\save/save08.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE c:\program files\games\Final Fantasy VII\save/save09.ff7
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
-=-=[START OF WORLD MAP!!!]=-=-
stop_sound
100% of 127 = 127
cross play music: 0
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=4
MIDI cross fade: 71, time: 4
MIDI set volume trans: 15->127; step=4
100% of 127 = 127
MIDI play: 71
reading midi file: KITA.mid
current volume: 127
MIDI play: 7
reading midi file: BAT.mid
current volume: 127
stop_sound
-=-=[END OF WORLD MAP!!!]=-=-
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 194
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
ERROR: unhandled exception

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: 2009-07-18 02:57:34 »
I'll have to look into that then. It's probably due to some check I'm not performing before telling FF7Music to shut up :)

Actually, I poked around some threads a bit more, and I think the problem actually stems from FF7Music. Funny, I didn't remember having this problem with the program before, but the memory can be a tricky thing...

No, this is a known problem with FF7Music. Theoretically, unchecking "obey stop" should fix it, but I've noticed that it frequently doesn't. Unfortunately, that's not likely to be fixed. It happens whenever the battles don't have their own music.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: 2009-07-18 16:09:28 »

Actually, I poked around some threads a bit more, and I think the problem actually stems from FF7Music. Funny, I didn't remember having this problem with the program before, but the memory can be a tricky thing...

No, this is a known problem with FF7Music. Theoretically, unchecking "obey stop" should fix it, but I've noticed that it frequently doesn't. Unfortunately, that's not likely to be fixed. It happens whenever the battles don't have their own music.

Don't mind that. I was talking out of my ass when I said that.

Stoner

« Reply #771 on: 2009-07-18 16:12:50 »
I just had my second crash today, I don't know if it's a driver thing or something else? It doesn't bother me much, thanks to the emergency save (that's a life saver since I'm at the end of the game where saving is not possible).

App.log and Crash.dmp is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=98720e415c6a419f0dec85adfe0a530ae04e75f6e8ebb871

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #772 on: 2009-07-18 17:54:42 »
OK, i finally got around to downloading this today.
it's great, apart from the fact that it seemingly makes absolutely no difference to anything at all.

i dont know why this is. i've tried lots of things. i downloaded the very first version, and dragged all the latest files over the top. ran the .reg file and everything, still no difference.
i can tell because printscreen gives me 640x480 pictures, when i've told the config to use my higher resolution of 1366x768.
im using vista 32-bit and i know there's something i'm not doing right. a little help?
and yes, i am using the 1.02 patch.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: 2009-07-18 18:25:53 »
Run as admin. It's a Vista-Windows 7 thing

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: 2009-07-18 18:27:57 »
hey neocloudstrife you should check your APP.log to see if its working right and then post it here (the app.log is in your FFVII directory).
And like hellbringer said vista and windows7 need to be run as admin.