Author Topic: [WIP] Goblins Bar (FMV Project)  (Read 20639 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
[WIP] Goblins Bar (FMV Project)
« on: 2014-03-19 19:52:50 »
This will be my second and final attempt at updating the Final Fantasy VII videos.  I believe I can do this justice now I have learned a few things since last time.  The colour, sound, and overall quality should be an improvement on 2012 videos.

Completed: 6 of 103.

Codec: x264 + AAC 192
Using: Sony Vegas, Neat Video, FF7 Toshiba DVD, PSX videos.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-25 23:43:00 by DLPB »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: FMV Project
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-19 21:51:47 »
Hopefully my second post won't ruin anything haha :P

But These are for your translated FMV's and thus for R02 correct? or are you retranslating, than once thats done you'll work on this. Just curious :P

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-19 22:12:00 »
Nah these are separate :)

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-20 08:36:04 »
Good luck :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-20 09:07:05 »
Well, the first time I did this, I used fractals to do each and every frame.  That didn't work, because... fractals is for still images and doesn't look right when you string them together.  It gave very sharp outlines though.

There is a ton of noise in those videos.  This attempt should be pretty good!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-21 00:38:31 »
edit.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-06 09:56:29 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] FMV Project
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-07 03:22:52 »
It has taken a monumental effort to bring this to you, but things get easier from here on.  This video is fully completed, so I need people to test it in game also.

It is the original jenova_e.avi file, now enhanced, corrected  and noise reduced, from the Toshiba higher resolution fmv (along with audio from the PSX version).  It should be ... no... it IS the highest quality video of this FMV that is known to exist. 

Special thanks to Covarr who has been testing these with me, and helped identify a few issues with my earlier attempts.  And Luksy, for providing me the Toshiba videos.

I will release a final pack in time (as many as I can from the Toshiba DVD) and from my own new renders.

https://mega.co.nz/#!t9d3EQpa!SqpMIcfHPw3BXc-Mpak93Hyxs9xGmoBZeWSovdMtPgE
« Last Edit: 2014-07-07 03:29:37 by DLPB »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-07 16:01:20 »
I won't be able to test it in game as i have no save near that location (i've been waiting for R02 :P) but my god! unparalleled quality. You're a god among FF7 mods my friend.

Also, does .MKV work with FF7?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-07 17:46:56 »
The Steam videos are also MKV, it's just the file name uses avi. ;)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-08 02:49:50 »
How did you manage to get the DVD?

WatashiWaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-07-08 03:53:44 »
How did you manage to get the DVD?

I recall reading that Luksy had bought the DVDs for around $50 somewhere, and then he ripped it for Dan to use/work on.

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-07-08 04:17:41 »
I recall reading that Luksy had bought the DVDs for around $50 somewhere, and then he ripped it for Dan to use/work on.

Yeah, I found it online here a couple of months ago.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-08 04:25:49 by luksy »

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-07-08 06:42:18 »
Simply amazing!  :-o

Thanks lusky and DLPB!

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #13 on: 2014-07-09 08:45:24 »
Divine.

I was just wondering... it will be a way for put translated phrases (in other languages) without affecting the quality achieved?

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #14 on: 2014-07-09 10:39:48 »
Nah... subs are hardcoded I guess.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2014-07-11 15:51:22 »
Divine.

I was just wondering... it will be a way for put translated phrases (in other languages) without affecting the quality achieved?

Yes.  I can supply the 2 videos with lossless codec "lagarith" and give you my sony vegas save (will only work with latest vegas tho).

This can wait for later.

quequotion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-09-13 09:21:55 »
::EDIT::
Is this how he's supposed to talk?

Any progress on the other DVD FMVs?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2014-09-13 12:05:04 »
This is scottish dialect. This is intended.

quequotion

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-09-14 10:08:57 »
I see... the (remote instructed, somewhat sentient) crowned cat riding a doll is... a Scotsman... Well, I don't hold DLPB, any of the other people involved in the re-translation, or even the original translator responsible for the ridiculousness of this character.

That aside, and I know this thread isn't really the place to beat this dead horse, but how does this phoneticization feel for people from the UK? Is it clear that he's speaking with a Scottish accent? Reading that line with US (mid-western) phonics, it sounds like Cait Sith has Down's Syndrome.

::EDIT:: Ok, Kansai-ben

Disregarding of what the Japanese team may have intended for the English translation (it is safe assume they had no more understanding of western culture than the original English translator had of Japanese), is Scottish a good equivalent for Kansai? Kansai is considered a colloquial, old-fashioned, somewhat elegant, country-folk accent; sometimes used for it's graceful (old-fashioned) phrasing and more often for comical effect (coloquial, country-folk) in contrast to the mostly urbanized (standardized) accent of the average Japanese. I could see Scottish as coloquial, and Gaelic is certainly old-fashioned, but I don't see it as comical or elegant like Kansai.

I feel like the Posh would have fit the character design much better than Scottish, even though he wasn't originally scripted in the the "equivalent" high-class Japanese (”吾輩はロボットである”)
« Last Edit: 2014-09-14 11:09:46 by quequotion »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2014-09-14 10:13:04 »
The Cat Sith legend is a Scottish legend (Cait being old Gaelic for Cat, if I recall).  The Japanese uses Kansai dialect because they couldn't use Scot (and it's really Reeve so they needed 2 dialects to show this at one point in the game). Advent Children also uses Scottish dialect for Cait, so even the official team are using it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_s%C3%ACth

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/scotland/folklore/the-cait-sith-the-cu-sith.html

edit.

There is no equivalent of a Japanese dialect... it's a unique dialect.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-14 14:52:33 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-09-14 15:27:25 »
Is it clear that he's speaking with a Scottish accent? Reading that line with US (mid-western) phonics, it sounds like Cait Sith has Down's Syndrome.
Keep in mind that when used in conjunction with Beacause, this won't be an issue at all. This particular line in the FMV is a bit awkward in Scots, but on the whole it's fairly obvious that it's Scottish.

quequotion

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-09-14 17:24:12 »
There is no equivalent of a Japanese dialect... it's a unique dialect.
I don't mean linguistically equivalent, but culturally equivalent. Kansai-ben is associated with a certain stereotype in Japanese society (colloquial, old-fashioned, occasionally elegant, often comical); just as certain dialects of English are associated with stereotypes (short tour of US accents: Bronx, rough, good for starting fights; Texas, "100% American Grade A Accent", lots of foreigners think we all talk like this; Georgia colloquial, old-fashioned; Valley Girl, annoying; So-cal, laid-back; Midwestern, rural, neither rough nor elegant, etc).

I understand the game Japanese designers set up the character to speak Scottish in the English translation, but I still question if Scottish is really the best quirky-accent localization for Kansai-ben; I don't think they put much thought into this.

Keep in mind that when used in conjunction with Beacause, this won't be an issue at all. This particular line in the FMV is a bit awkward in Scots, but on the whole it's fairly obvious that it's Scottish.

Yeah, consistency will make this work; it just stood out because I haven't gotten far enough into (replaying, again) the game to meet Cait Sith since installing R01 and watched this video by itself.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-14 17:27:15 by quequotion »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2014-09-14 17:56:40 »
I'd also wait for R02... as it has had improvements and is considered final.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2014-09-14 18:13:09 »
but I still question if Scottish is really the best quirky-accent localization for Kansai-ben
The thing to understand is that the goal here isn't to localize Kansai-ben. The use of Kansai-ben in the Japanese version was itself a concession, only chosen because it was the closest match they had for Scottish. The intent was always Scottish, even in Japanese where it wasn't actually possible.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2014-09-14 18:24:19 »
And even if it wasn't the intention, Kansai wasn't chosen with any real deep meaning. The fact that the official localizations are now using Scottish for him is pretty conclusive also.  Given this cat is supposed to be Scottish (the myth), it makes even more sense.

But even if we hadn't used Scottish, I don't think any other dialect would be any better. That would simply be up for debate.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-14 18:25:57 by DLPB »