Author Topic: Q-Gears is alive and well  (Read 9492 times)

Hades

• View Profile
Q-Gears is alive and well
« on: 2007-03-19 10:47:40 »
well?
« Last Edit: 2007-03-23 10:06:00 by Forshman »

nope

• nope
    • View Profile
Re: Is Q-Gears Dead?
« Reply #1 on: 2007-03-19 11:09:31 »
I think Akari's still working on stuff from looking at their recent posts in the Tech Related forum, so it's more of a case of no-one's posting any news, just working on it privately.

Hades

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-03-19 11:25:53 »
Could we have a news update please Akari?

Synergy Blades

« Reply #3 on: 2007-03-19 11:40:20 »
It is a long-term project, don't forget. That we were getting updates thick and thin before is solely down to Akari's ability and commitment, so if he's busy or decided to take a slower pace, or whatever, you'll just have to put up with that I'm afraid.

[Edit] And happy 21st birthday, Forshman.  :-D

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-03-19 15:39:47 »
The version was compleated half month ago, but I wait till G fix sound in video on windows. And try to ninish some new task

Changes for now since last version:

2007/03/19
    + [ffvii] Moved entity collision related code to ObjectManager, because entity mustn't
              know anything about other entitys. Only object manager works with all them. [Akari]
    + [ffvii] Backgrounds now swiched off/on by one button (1). [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Implement ability to switch model off/on. [Akari]

2007/03/17
    - [ffvii] Fix mark_triangle moved when PC moved in movie mode. [Akari]
    + [ffvii] Clean up ObjectManager. Remove instant gamestate position saving. [Akari]
    + [ffvii] MAPJUMP now sets direction as it should be. [Akari]
    + [ffvii] Rotation now float angle value, not FFVII Uint8. [Akari]

2007/03/16
    * [ffvii] Add TLKON (0x7E) field opcode support. [Akari]
    + [ffvii] Rework talk checking system. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Implement rotation acording to movement. [Akari]
    + [ffvii] Move movement to update and make it dependable in KERNEL button state. [Akari]

2007/03/15
    * [ffvii] Add REQEW (0x03) field opcode support. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Add REQSW (0x02) field opcode support. [Akari]

2007/03/14
    - [ffvii] Fix solid collision detection. [Akari]
    + [ffvii] Change talk and solid collision vision. [Akari]

2007/03/13
    * [ffvii] Add MOVE (0xA8) field opcode support. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Add implementation of STATE_WALKMESH_MOVE state. [Akari]
    + [ffvii] Made JUMP - waitable opcode and move jump routine to ObjectManager.
              This is still not complete implementation of STATE_JUMP state. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Add NPC movement by LADER opcode. [Akari]
    + [ffvii] Rewrite entity/object manager. [Akari]

2007/03/05
    - [ffvii] Fixed movie and screen border positioning. [Akari]
    - [ffvii] Fixed instant scrolling issue. [Akari]

2007/03/02
    * [ffvii] Add MOVLK (0x0FFC) SPECIAL inner opcode. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Add MVCAM (0xFB) field opcode support. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Add MVIEF (0xFA) field opcode support. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Add MOVIE (0xF9) field opcode support. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Add PMVIE (0xF8) field opcode support. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Add movie support to field. [Akari]

2007/02/27
    * [ffvii] Implement switching view of triggers and lines off. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Implement real size resolution. New rows in config SCREEN_WIDTH,
              SCREEN_HEIGHT, GAME_WIDTH, GAME_HEIGHT. [Akari]

2007/02/21
    * [ffvii] Implement idle pose reading from BCX file. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Implement base model. [Akari]

2007/02/08
    * [ffvii] Implement loading directional keys from XML. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Implement map related directional keys handling. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Add SLINE (0xD3) field opcode support. [Akari]
    * [ffvii] Add BGPDH (0x2C) field opcode support. [Akari]
    + [ffvii] Add support for 3rd and 4th background. [Akari]

2007/02/02
    - [ffvii] Understand work of z ordering of walkmesh and rewrite BackgroundManager
              to render background correctly. This needs to be completely rewrite a bit later. [Akari]

2007/01/26
    - [ffvii] Walk Mesh size fixed. [Akari]

Brynet

« Reply #5 on: 2007-03-19 16:57:00 »
Wow  :lol:

Very commendable work Akari..

Nice job  :-)

Q-Gears is very much alive Forshman  :wink:

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-03-19 17:20:51 »
 :-D of course nothing is dead. I finished my work on videos + music, cleaned up the code. There is some problems on windows platform, but it will be fixed, maybe even today :). I am also in the middle of beginning work on AKAO's audio data and instruments...

I try to update svn frequently, those of you who wants to be on bleeding edge - use the source!  8-)
« Last Edit: 2007-03-19 17:41:39 by G »

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 2007-03-20 02:05:57 »
After I graduated college, I'm been in a carrer change. This has impacted my life a little bit more than it should of. I'm in here checking every day.... So Just to let you know the "Leader Guy" is still around.

Actully, I've been working on a tiny side project. I'm not abondoning this engine, but it was something I ment to do last year...

Q-Gears was originally my idea to start coding an engine. I just wanted to learn how to code and wanted to make it a summer project. All I was planning on doing was making a simple data loader and maybe a script parser. (The script parser is actually in the tree. It's cute, but there are better tools out there now.) What happened, which suprised the hell out of me, was it exploded under my feet with Akari came on board. The code jumped out of my hands and into the the community. I'm happy to see it explode, but now I have to play in the shadows.

My new project actually doesn't have anything to do with Final Fantasy. It's an educational game to teach you Japanese. It's called "The Pineapple Chronicles", and is based off a short story I wrote with the same name.

The upshot. You are stuck on an island with a Japanese girl. She doesn't speak english and you don't speak Japanese. You have to learn Japanese to survive togeather.

How far am I?

Well, I'm working on it...
« Last Edit: 2007-03-20 02:12:06 by halkun »

nope

• nope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-03-20 06:21:15 »
That's awesome, I might give that a shot when/if you release it :-P

Garnold

« Reply #9 on: 2007-03-20 07:06:40 »
well, がんばって! ;) I'm also looking forward for it  :-D

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-03-20 11:48:48 »
Akari, your commitment to the project is truly admirable! Thanks!

Hades

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-03-20 13:06:12 »
Ah now I remember why I love this forum.

Synergy Blades - Thank you for the birthday wishes  :-D

Nice work Akari! Its amazing how you find the time for all this stuff.

Oh and Halkun, I've been studying Nihongo for a couple of years now but I still consider myself a complete noob. If you want someone to test your new project out on then let me know man.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-03-21 20:58:19 »
By the way.. don't ask if Q-gear's dead.
I'll be very blunt about it, it's very annoying to do so.  I am also saying this to point you to keep in mind the statements in the stickies at the top of the forum.

It might not seem like it's fast but everything is progressing at the developers pace.  Meaning when those working on it have time, Akari is the speed coder but he has a life and is busy like everyone else.  I've been working between real life part of that means I haven't had internet access (and for much of that computer access) for well over a week, erstwhile I've some really interesting discoveries which were quite a laugh too me afterward.

Therefore if something doesn't happen for 2 weeks, I wouldn't get excited, if something doesn't happen for 2 years, then it might be appropriate to ask if it's dead.  Pretty much none of this is a fly by night operation, a number of these people have been working on various incarnations of Q-gears parts for 3 to 7 years.

Erstwhile I have a bit more knowledge of how FF7 handles the loading of parts of the PS1 game. It is quite interesting how the did it.  It's a combination of the PsyQ libraries and some clever programing in the kernel.  The kernel mostly handles direct loading of code (anything with a .X extension is a modulle) using hardcoded LSN #'s and sizes.  :) Also I have a handy utility for ISO's I developed that allows you to find LSN#'s and file names associated with them.  It also shows lots of interesting information on a RAW ISO disc image.  Unfortunately a lot of my original disks are in another part of the US right now. :(

Cyb - Live-r than ever

Hades

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-03-23 10:04:55 »
A question is a question Cyb, I have no intention of annoying you. I'm not a twelve year old. A sudden change from multiple posts per day to nothing for two weeks led my curiosity, thats all.

Also, congratulations on your recent discovery.  :-)

Terra

• View Profile
Re: Q-Gears is alive and well
« Reply #14 on: 2007-05-25 00:13:55 »
I'd also take into consideration that this project survives primarily on spirit and seeing this on the forum is not the best way to keep the spirit up. As for the question itself, the project exploded once, it will do again some time. 'Til then, everyone's contribution is bringing us further.