Author Topic: FF7 "episodes" are full-sized games  (Read 8308 times)

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
FF7 "episodes" are full-sized games
« on: 2016-04-06 21:28:49 »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/06/final-fantasy-7-remakes-episodes-are-the-size-of-full-games

This worries the fuck out of me.

It sounds like there wont be any carry-over from game to game level-wise or materia wise.

If this is the case, then they are fucking ruining it.

I just want a level/materia-cap in each game and each one to build off one another. You have to play the first before you play the next.

I want ONE disc with a season pass and then everything downloaded after that.

I'll hold out hope because translations are always shitty and Square is notoriously bad at communicating what they are doing, saying its structured like FF13 trilogy makes me think that each game is going to be stand-alone and thats bad.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: FF7 "episodes" are full-sized games
« Reply #1 on: 2016-04-06 21:45:34 »
Barf, puke, hurl. I didn't think they could screw it up any more than they had mentioned. I wasn't excited before and I'm definitely not interested now.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-04-06 22:12:39 »
Square-Enix is the modern day Firefox.  Doesn't listen to its user-base, is too arrogant to change, and adds tons of "features" and bloat without addressing the very things that made the original incarnations what they were.  Shame.  Said it before 100 times, though: I didn't see them messing up and bloating up THIS much.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-04-07 13:39:14 »
What worries me the most:

on par with installments of the Final Fantasy XIII sub-series

Basically they're gonna be dumbed down and shit.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-04-07 22:11:35 »
What worries me the most:

Basically they're gonna be dumbed down and strawberries.

That is meant as a "size of the game" comparison.. Nothing to do with gameplay I guess. The FF13 games are not exactly small so I guess each of the "episodes" of the FF7 Remake will be quite long.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-04-07 22:39:38 »
Even knowing they only mean in length, that still worries me. There are only two ways they can make several 30 hour games out of this story:

1. Add a ton of new story, which wouldn't be very good because Nomura is too involved and Nojima's writing isn't nearly as good as it used to be.
2. Keep the same amount of story and add a ton of gameplay bloat (think 6x random encounters). If the gameplay is fun enough that could be okay, but I'd be concerned it's like some of the heartless in Kingdom Hearts, which have a habit of just being grindy and annoying.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-04-08 08:12:01 »
I'd have a hard time seeing how they could turn the OG into a 90+ hour saga without adding a bunch of stuff. I'm definitely biased and will obviously need to play the new games with a really open mind. XV will probably be a pretty good indicator of what's to come.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: 2016-04-08 11:05:36 »
These statements are too vague (pr usual, and as expected) to draw any real conclusions on things like: Will stuff carry over? Are they gonna add story? How long will each episode be?

Honestly, I don't see them making a fully fledged game IF FF7R is to be released within 2017. However, what a fully complete game really is isn't written in stone. Them punching out 10-15 hour games for $40 once a year could still be argued as being "complete" games while still being "episodes".

My expectations haven't really been altered that much since the 1st official reveal trailer. I still expect SE's marked research team to have a huge influence over the final product (as every AAA company).

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2016-04-08 14:19:00 »
How could they possibly NOT add story if they're going to be three episodes? If they somehow combine FF7, DoC and AC into one story it still wouldn't be long enough to fill three FFXIII-style games.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-04-08 14:27:32 »
You can already see how it's going to be that long by looking at what they've already released.  The opening sequence on the train and the cutscene is a ridiculously bloated affair - and is symptomatic of what is to come. Every last little scene will have extra dialogue and "drama".  That adds a ton of time to the clock; time you won't be actually playing the game, of course. Even the original game was long without the bloat - so imagine what a few of those crazy cutscenes are going to do.

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-04-08 15:02:42 »
I don't really see the issue with this.
After all, action games for instance frequently have stories that are a fraction of that of most RPGs.
The reason they're still stand-alone games at relative short lengths though, is partly because games like Uncharted are much more technically demanding game-play-wise and that requires more development-time and resources.

Since this game is obviously going to be action based, and they're making things to scale (and Nomura babbling on about stressing the ability to interact with the environments) it's completely reasonable to expect even the rudimentary story of FFVII to stretch out into three volumes - because last time I checked, with voice-acting etc. that would still be longer than the story of all the Uncharted games put together.

Not saying they won't bloat the game etc. but from a development perspective this is pretty basic.

But the way I see it - if they're going to create the entire world, and fix its broken infrastructure (add roads, railroad tracks, expand cities/towns to actual resemble real cities/towns capable of sustaining an actual population) then that offers of lot of natural padding to the game.

If FFVX is anything to go by, we're looking at a game where it's going to take a lot of time to get from point A to B, and we're probably looking at the introduction of mini-quests like monster hunting and NPC fetch-quests to fill up that dead-space etc.

I'm not worried about stats etc though. Legend of Heroes have already proven without a shadow of a doubt (although even games as early as Suikoden 1 and 2 did this) that you can have game series with transferable stats.

As for release date -
Releasing the first game within 2017 should also be reasonable simple. The game has already been in development for over a year. By late 2017 we're closing in on 3 years.
To put this into perspective - FF8 was made in little over a year.
This game is being outsourced to more than 2 companies besides the work being done at SE, and it's obvious based on the game-play trailer that they are in part using resources from the FFVX development process (Clouds "free-running"/crawling through the ruins animation is obviously ported over from FFVX as it is identical to that of Noctis).
« Last Edit: 2016-04-08 15:04:18 by hian »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-04-08 22:44:44 »
I'll likely pick up part 1 to see what's up, but if it blows then the other parts get skipped.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-04-08 23:17:13 »
I'll likely pick up part 1 to see what's up, but if it blows then the other parts get skipped.

I got tricked by FFXIII. I really wanted to like the first one, but I thought it was pretty bad when I actually got to play it. XIII-2 was a marked improvement on the first and XIII-3 was actually pretty good, despite the Japanese soap opera style dialogue. Who am I kidding, I'll probably buy them all whether they suck or not, I have no self control.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: 2016-04-08 23:35:36 »
How could they possibly NOT add story if they're going to be three episodes? If they somehow combine FF7, DoC and AC into one story it still wouldn't be long enough to fill three FFXIII-style games.

Well, it's pretty obvious they will add and change stuff. I guess what I meant is how much will change storywise. It's pretty impossible at this point to be specific. If it was up to me I would throw everything but the original game out the window. But, as we all know, that won't happen.

Lein

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2016-05-25 22:37:38 »
It would be bad if they removed the world map and turned it into a FFX style game where you'll just select what location to go to by airship.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2016-05-31 16:24:28 »
It would be bad if they removed the world map and turned it into a FFX style game where you'll just select what location to go to by airship.
I'm afraid that's exactly the route they will go. I can't imagine them re-doing the complete world map considering the more realistic art style they are going for. Also since they are going episodic they would have to face a completely new challenge to block off the areas you're not supposed to go to yet in a specific episode.
« Last Edit: 2016-05-31 16:26:10 by Fischkopf »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2017-02-28 20:22:05 »
Tetsuya Nomura : Concerning Final Fantasy VII Remake, which is a title loaded with a lot of mystery for now,  it will be different from the original Final Fantasy VII. If we make a compilation, these games will hardly have an overall coherence. It will be difficult because there is no more continuity between the Compilation and the Remake for the moment
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/27/crisis-crisis-core-dirge-cerberus-hd-compilations-difficult-says-nomura/#loeEmcAyKJfp1t5G.99

;D
Didn't SE said a bad FF7 remake will harm the company? Then why on earth do they let they work this guy on it? He still think FF7 and the pre/sequels are coherent! But I think it doesn't matter if the games have only the quality of a kingdom heart. They make three times profit from them, maybe four times because of the full remake compilation. And another time from the remastered remake for the PS5. And in the end they say it's the best selling game in their history (with a metascore of 84). But they will sacrifice their core fan base for it. It will be interesting how many years they can abuse the name final fantasy for their strange non-ff games after this.