Author Topic: Can't work out this font can anyone help?  (Read 4229 times)

Livesey

• View Profile
Can't work out this font can anyone help?
« on: 2012-05-24 22:49:36 »
I have been asked by work to recreate this image in a vector format. I tried to convert to vector to begin with but certain parts of the image were lost during the conversion so I recreated it.

anyway its all gone well up until the lettering I can't for the life of me find this font on illustrator, I'm starting to wonder if someone drew it up themselves instead of simply finding a font and sticking with it.

can anyone help me either find this font or tell me what the easiest way to re-create it would be?

Thank you.
[img width= height= alt=" title="Hosted by imgur.com]http://i.imgur.com/pFYgc.jpg[/img]

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile

Livesey

• View Profile
Re: Can't work out this font can anyone help?
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-25 01:38:11 »
Thanks for the reply I found one that was slightly similar but no dice. guess I'm just going to have to try to pen it in with illustrator.
 Wish me luck guys.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-25 08:28:26 »
You're trying to recreate the font as a set of paths? What happens when the client requests a logo change, or expects to see that font in company headings? Redraw an entire character set? I think you *really* need a font.

Do you know where the original logo came from, or who drew it?

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-25 09:42:16 »
When he requests a Logo change I guess I'l have to draw him up a new one.

We don't know who drew the original logo as we're under new management and the old manager is reluctant to contact us about anything.

I'l leave one with a blank space for text just incase we do find out who the original designer was.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-25 14:45:38 »
When he requests a Logo change I guess I'l have to draw him up a new one.

As a designer, you have to be careful about things like this. Clients have a hard time understanding the difference between trivial and difficult requests. They also have a nasty habit of demanding that latter are delivered yesterday, even things they've previously insisted would never be required.

FWIW, I have never worked on a project where a request of that nature did not arise. As such, I'd strongly recommend you clearly communicate to the client that revised logos and artwork are out of the question unless you can get the original font or replace it with another.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-25 14:47:21 by Bosola »

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-25 16:03:54 »
Thanks for the tip. This is my first job in graphic design since I've left college so I've no idea what to expect, luckily my first job has been easy and he's settled for a comic sans font for the logo. Thanks for the help guys.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #7 on: 2012-05-25 17:47:05 »
... he's settled for a comic sans font for the logo.

Oh dear. Let's hope that opinion changes. Comic sans is considered the most annoying and overused font.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-05-25 20:05:32 »
I think Sans MS gets a lot of bad press... it is a fun font.  Yeah it is over used but it does the trick depending on what you want if for.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-05-25 20:53:25 »
The thing is, there are better comic-style fonts with better kerning and better readability and more style and otf features such as alternate characters (which really come in handy to prevent it from being obviously machine generated, by making different "e"s look different, for example).

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-05-25 22:34:55 »
I believe any font can look good in the right situations.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2012-05-26 17:44:04 »
What about Tucker Script?

With some tweaking (maybe better tracking), I think it could work.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-26 17:48:17 by Bosola »

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-05-26 18:09:25 »
That is a nice font but he seems pretty set on Comic Sans now that he's seen it.