Author Topic: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial  (Read 204082 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial
« Reply #200 on: 2009-09-16 17:15:46 »
Covarr, you said something about about aali's being better than the saints. How is this really? i cant even adjust resolution (i go in the config, set it to ex. 1280x960, and it doesnt change anything, I also set fps indicator to "yes" which never showed up. Do i need to re register the registry file? (i have been doing so, just curious if this is a needed step) All i did was extract the files from aali,s to my install dir, and run the reg (changing the config to as well)
The Saint's patch causes issues with a few things not filling the screen properly.

If Aali's driver isn't adjusting your screen size, it's possible that you ran ff7config after running the .reg file, in which case you need to run it again, because FF7config makes Aali's driver not work right. I'm pretty sure you need to set it to use hardware rather than software in ff7config first though. Also, you MUST be using the 1.02 patch in order for Aali's driver to work properly.

CCbiss

« Reply #201 on: 2009-09-17 22:22:40 »
I got it all working, and aali's is much better!

I think the resolution problem was just the laptop i was using.
On my Desktop: I re-installed ff7, applied the 1.02 patch, then aali's, then ff7music, and reunion, all are working great!

Thanks again everyone.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2009-09-17 22:26:06 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2009-09-17 23:11:27 »
The reunion mod isn't too bad. It's not gonna completely wreck everything like the 1.04 patch.

falsfield

« Reply #204 on: 2009-11-14 13:32:53 »
How can I configure the ini file so that during a given sequence, it will randomly or sequentially pick between 2 or 3 songs? Becuase it would be really cool if I could have the game play some of the battle themes from different FF games with their accompanying fanfares. Thanks!

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2009-11-14 14:32:44 »
I'm no expert in the inner-dynamics of ff7music but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that feature.  You can choose which decoders you'd like to use for your music (mp3.dll is the best), your output decoder (wav.dll), you can change the settings for each of those, mess around with the buffers, make your own tracklists so different songs will replace the originals (I know I uploaded trimmed remastered OST files somewhere around here), specify where it should find your music files, and choose which songs you want it to loop and resume after it's cut off for another scene (like when you go to the world map and the strings start up, if you want it to always start at the beginning like that even though the original didn't do that, you can).

I don't think there's a solid list yet on which songs resume after they're cut off, but there are a few obvious ones like the main theme.  ff7music can be a hassle but it must've been hard to make and is a very cool asset to add to your mod collection.  Hopefully ficedula or someone else will take the source code and make a more unified design.

Grizzlyadamz

• YARRRHGGH! I'mma scouurrge
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2009-11-24 18:37:28 »
-edit
Just read the part where the thread doesn't support ultima edition--so I can't expect a reply to any of this. Thanks for the bundle anyway, (the first link is out btw, only the mirror works).

Alright, so, it's not the best first move on a forum, but I'm gonna skip the search function just this once because I've been doing it a LOT recently. This is the story:

I went through and followed all your steps twice, but with a few differences: The first time, I thought that you meant open the .ini when you said go to config, so I made all the changes to file paths and such through the .ini. That meant that when I opened the program and ran config, while I had set it to look in the right path it hadn't selected the mp3 file reader and thus it didn't work the first time. Then I tried installing the graphics driver from aali, which didn't work because I'm using a cd-cracked version, and so I had to reinstall in order to reset the graphics, (I think I could have done much more harm than good by tooling around in the registry).
     This time around I did everything by the letter and used the config menu from the ff7music.exe, so it has selected the correct .dll s and I've also specified the song paths and midi player. I also retained the OstRE folder for the music, which I had originally unpacked from the four 1-disc folders the songs came in by cuting and pasting all the songs in one cd to the OstRE folder w/o making any changes to the file names, and I left any duplicates in the original folder. Now, when I run ff7, the cutscenes don't lose sound, (amazingly), but the original midi is still playing, (including battle music, Shinra music, fanfares, and I'm not sure what it's called, but it's the music you hear when you leave the first reactor and meet aeris). I would have praised you when I first started troubleshooting the volume cut-out, but now I REAALY like the improved scores you linked, (you bastard), and I'm wondering what went wrong. The file path for the OstRE folder is C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\FinalFantasyVII\OstRE; should there be underscores (_) or is that what you meant when you said don't have spaces?
-edit
Also, something that's rather wierd: I have a few saves of places where the sound would normally cut out that I got w/ a save anywhere hack, and right before the first mako reactor explodes the game loads up with just the siren, (and I could hear the cutscene sound and the blips afterwards); I checked this again and found that the original midi that plays throughout that entire opening mission restarted when I entered the battle, and when I exited it cut off again, along w/ the siren, and I only heard menu sfx and such.
-edit
Gar, I tried moving the ff7 folder up into C:, now I can't get your presets, (wtf no profiles or anything anymore). The .ini is the same as the default but config in ff7music.exe is ignoring it and says that there are no profiles and that the current path to get to itself is under the old C:\ProgramFiles(x86).........
-edit
Ok, the original ff7.exe didn't work, prolly f***ed up the registry; reinstalled again, ff7music got happy again and all the file paths are w/o spaces and such. Time to see if it works
-edit
Alright, well, I got it to have a certain problem I think I've seen: the music is working at least, but when I start a new game, the original midi plays until the time that the action-y music is supposed to start,(when the train comes to a rest), and thats when the new music starts, that is, it starts from the beginning of the little aeris segment, and the original action-y music had and is still playing...time to recheck config, maybe I messed something up. I'll also check this thread, as I think I saw something like this before.
-edit
Well, my having ultima edition might have something to do w/ it, I also see deleting midis and getting loopbe; looking to see if you aren't supposed to use loopbe anymore, (what was that missing 8th step?). <vista x64 btw
« Last Edit: 2009-11-24 21:58:18 by Grizzlyadamz »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2009-11-25 19:39:26 »
My tutorial no longer uses LoopBe for three reasons:

• Aali's driver is more reliable.
  • Aali's driver ONLY affects FF7, whereas LoopBe embeds itself in your system. While this isn't necessarily a problem since LoopBe is a fairly innocuous program, this means that the memory and CPU time won't constantly be in use.
  • Aali's driver doesn't work with Ultima Edition. Anything that I, or anybody else, can do to break compatibility with the Ultima Edition or other pirated copies of the game is a plus.

And I know that only the main link is broken, that's why I put the mirror up to begin with. I'm leaving the primary link in case MilesTailsPrower fixes his server.

Grizzlyadamz

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2009-11-25 20:42:56 »
mkay, well, I'll come back with a different version, hopefully it'll work better; (wonder if loopbe was installed using windows installer...). Thanks for replyin anyway, got it to the point where I only had problems with it looping/resuming inconsistently, along w/ the buffering delay problem and for some reason the original 'oa' track still played, thus I was in the process of finding an mp3 splitter in order to have the correct opening sequence music, (otherwise it would loop from the beginning of the aeris segment). Be back in a jiffy. Btw, why do you have your current settings for resume exclude and such? As in why did you add the exeptions to looping/resuming in the config, (such as fanfare, (obvious), and others).

-edit
And yes, it was, (whew)....(loopbe)
« Last Edit: 2009-11-25 20:47:42 by Grizzlyadamz »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2009-11-25 22:49:45 »

• Aali's driver doesn't work with Ultima Edition. Anything that I, or anybody else, can do to break compatibility with the Ultima Edition or other pirated copies of the game is a plus.

Interesting idea, I am curious as to what the differences with the original game and the ultima edition are so i could maybe make my installer not compatible with the ultima version.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2009-11-26 01:53:14 »

Interesting idea, I am curious as to what the differences with the original game and the ultima edition are so i could maybe make my installer not compatible with the ultima version.
I have no idea how it works, I just recall having read that in Aali's thread. For all I know, I may be remembering wrong, and it works just fine with Ultima and he merely offers no support.

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2009-11-26 06:14:53 »
Well aali's will not work with ultima and your mod is not even pertinent to a user without aali's driver.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2009-11-26 11:11:12 »
Well aali's will not work with ultima and your mod is not even pertinent to a user without aali's driver.

True enough, but being able to do a check in the installer that would prevent them installing it would be nice.

Soul

• "I'll take a potato chip AND EAT IT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2009-11-28 06:43:55 »
can i ask you guys something? can i customize my music so that it will play the musics that i like? if it can be done, what should i do? coz i wanna spice up my final fantasy 7 experience..  :-D

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2009-11-28 14:32:41 »
can i ask you guys something? can i customize my music so that it will play the musics that i like? if it can be done, what should i do? coz i wanna spice up my final fantasy 7 experience..  :-D
Easily enough. All you need to do is go to the "files" tab in FF7Music, and choose different MP3s.

Grizzlyadamz

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2009-11-29 02:20:54 »

True enough, but being able to do a check in the installer that would prevent them installing it would be nice.
I'd say that you'll want to check w/ aali on that; I have a feeling that there must be an .exe version checker, judging from the error message that I got.

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2009-11-29 03:25:23 »
already tried that. but nothing happens.. :-(

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2009-11-29 16:30:33 »
Clarify:

When you say nothing happens, do you mean that it still plays the original midi music, or it plays nothing, or what?

Make sure you have in_mad.dll as your input plugin if you want to use your own MP3s, not in_psf.dll.

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2009-11-30 00:16:58 »
oh, is that so. well im sorry then.  :-) going to try that. when i said that nothing happens, i mean the music didn't change. just to clarify.  :-D

Edit: hey Covarr, it didn't work.. what should i do?
« Last Edit: 2009-11-30 03:19:54 by Tetsujin »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2009-11-30 04:11:06 »
Have you followed the tutorial and gotten it playing either the remastered soundtrack or the PSF soundtrack? That's a good starting point, if you haven't, and you can put in your own custom music afterward fairly easily.

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2009-11-30 05:50:56 »
how can i do that? where can i find the guide? i think i'm playing it in psf. coz when i opened it, it's directory goes to /psf and /mp3.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2009-11-30 06:06:39 »
I'm referring to the tutorial on the very first page of this thread. It gives directions, most people have had no problems with it.

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2009-11-30 06:14:58 »
i'll give it a try. give you a word afterwards.  :-D

Edit: do i have to download aali's custom graphic driver? coz when i use it, makes my graphics buggy.
« Last Edit: 2009-11-30 06:30:16 by Tetsujin »

Grizzlyadamz

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2009-11-30 06:40:57 »
i'll give it a try. give you a word afterwards.  :-D

Edit: do i have to download aali's custom graphic driver? coz when i use it, makes my graphics buggy.

Yes, you do, (if you want to follow this thread). I'd say start askin around in aali's thread for problems w/ the graphics driver. If you don't get the mod package over there, you'd have to go and fumble your way to loopbe and go through catch 43-56 before you get it all working. Unless you have ultima edition, you're better off getting the patch from aali because of the support that comes w/ it. Now, I also found this site: http://savvygeek.com/2007/10/05/final-fantasy-vii-in-restored-glory/
and that might get you exactly where you want to go, but I haven't tried it yet and wouldn't know..

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2009-11-30 12:10:57 »
thanks grizz.  :-) so now i downloaded aali's custom drivers. what should i do now?