Author Topic: I wonder if Escaflowne will be shown in my country...  (Read 7635 times)

The SaiNt

• View Profile
I hope they do.
If they don't, :cry:

For those that don't know the details, you can check the official site.
http://www.escamovie.com/

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
I wonder if Escaflowne will be shown in my country...
« Reply #1 on: 2002-01-12 16:05:00 »
theres always kazaa :)

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2002-01-12 16:05:00 »
Hmm, looks interesting. I've only ever seen one proper anime film, and I gotta say it sucked.  :( It was called Submarine 6 or something.

Have you seen the series of Escaflowne SaiNt?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2002-01-12 22:14:00 »
Oh, man, that series was INCREDIBLE!  :D It stopped showing on the Fox tv station at about the time SquareSoft was airing FF9 commercials.  The levi-stone powered airships of Escaflowne reminded me of FF9, how airships were everywhere yet it was still the medieval era.

-edit-
I just looked at that site.  Neat intro.  It's an extremely great place to find info on EscaFlowne.  Thanks for listing the link, Saint.

No wonder why Final Fantasy IX reminded me of Escaflowne so much, considering there's the same elements of Polictical intrigue, a tech/magic rivalry, and even the name of the planet, Gaia, is the same!

Jeez!  Small world after all.  (pun *intended*, I think.)
[edited] 239 2002-01-12 23:25

J*** H*******

« Reply #4 on: 2002-01-12 22:38:00 »
Message.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2002-01-13 00:06:00 »
 I may be in the minority here and feel free to flame me but, what in the hell is Escaflowne?

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2002-01-13 02:08:00 »
Escaflowne is, like it says, a anime show that for a little even showed right here in colorado on Fox. It's has something todo with the moon being a world of it's own. but with magic/dragons/ excessivly hype cat girls/ and planes that use these weird "rock" things as engings. but it died as no one really watched it. personaly i liked it.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2002-01-13 02:16:00 »
i would have added this to the last post i had but i just remember this and i just switched users and logged in in the post new topic. anyway:

the main story line is this:

some track star loser girl of 16 happnned to be around when the "prince to be" showed up and slayed a dragon. somehow or other he ended up getting pulled back to moon world. <--- first episode

on moon world life seems rather normal except that people were "gothish" as it were and found 20 foot tall pack animals to be the norm. the prince came back and was celebrated *wave a little flag* "yea".... the girl meets up with a cat like girl and they arn't to nice to each other really. <---- episode 2

after a day some mean people come a attack the city the princes trainer give him a "dragon stone" or something like that. the prince goes to a temple of some sort and turn this statue or something like that in to a suit of armour named Escaflowne.

thats the basic background of the show.

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2002-01-13 04:45:00 »
Escaflowne kicks @$$.  I only need to watch the movie now.  

One thing I noticed about anime in other countries is that the US is usually one of the last ones to get anime series.
I used to live near the border of Mexico, and I was able to watch Mexican channels.  I watched Dragon ball, DB Z, DB GT, Sailor moon, Escaflowne, Ranma 1/2, and some other ones that I don't remember.  I watched them completely, sometimes twice.  And I noticed that when one series was about to end in a Mexican channel, the same series was about less than half over on FOX (I'm talking about DB Z).  Even up to this day, Dragon Ball GT hasn't been released in the US.  Friends ask me what it is about, because I'm the only one they know that has seen the series.  
(For those who have seen DB GT, I want to know what the hell was that in the end (I mean I did like the ending, but didn't understand it)).
Over here in the US, they pass an episode once or twice a week.  In Mexico, they show the (new) episodes every weekday.
And this brings me to the conclusion that there is not that much interest in Anime here in the US than it is in other countries.  

THE END.

Note:  I didn't like Magic Knight Ray Earth.

-vvalentine

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 2002-01-13 10:14:00 »
US the *last* to get anime?!

Maybe on TV ... but you get an awful lot more anime sold in the shops. Here in the UK, the best way to get anime is to find a US import shop.

Ant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2002-01-13 10:19:00 »
indeed......when was the last time any anime was shown on terrestrial..never?

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2002-01-14 02:49:00 »
Even on anime shops, some foreign countries sell some anime before it comes to the US (and I mean licensed by some company (legal)).  Since I lived close to Mexico, I know more about anime in that country.  For example, FLCL is not available in stores in the US right now, but in Mexico there is.  Dragon Ball GT is another famous series, that hasn't come out in the US, and in Mexico they even have it dubbed in spanish.

-vvalentine
[edited] 213 2002-01-14 03:50

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2002-01-14 23:00:00 »
Fox censership?!

Shame on you, Fox.  You try to censor it, but you miss the one scene where Van's about to recover the Escaflowne, but Dilandau tries to kill Van and winds up getting his check slashed.

I'm like "Yeah!" when I saw that.  Now, that's what war is really like.  Instead of everyone being bloodlessly vaporized or stabbed, they went for realism.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 2002-01-15 00:07:00 »
For realism, they need to leave in scenes where characters get KILLED. Yup, dead.

Note: I haven't seen Escaflowne, so I've no idea whether this applies to *that* series ... but I know anything even approaching "serious" injury or death to a main character gets cut, at least in other series'.

That's one reason why I think US dubbed anime is lame ... the quality of the dubbing in most (not all) series is another.

It's also why I'm all for fansubs ... most fansub groups have my respect; they do a great job.

VValentine: Yeah, I know US doesn't get all anime first, but compared to UK (which is terrible for anime) you get SO much more.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2002-01-15 00:32:00 »
Ok, now, in series such as DBZ, you generally don't see the cut until after the smoke clears or they stop moving at a blurring speed.

The scene in Escaflowne (english dubbed), shows Van realizing that Dilandau's behind him, so Van does a quick 180 degree turn, and does an upward cut with his sword.  Then, you clearly see the sword slice a bit of Dilandau's cheek, leaving a long, nasty gash.  I think they even showed Van's sword with Dilandau's blood on it.....

J*** H*******

« Reply #15 on: 2002-01-15 02:06:00 »
Message.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2002-01-15 03:42:00 »
  :x   :x   :x   :x   :x   :x   :x   :x   :x THOSE BASTARDS!!!! thats disgusting. just makes you wonder. what else have they butchered?

J*** H*******

« Reply #17 on: 2002-01-15 09:07:00 »
Message.

chowderhead

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocites.com/bigchowderhead
« Reply #18 on: 2002-01-15 14:29:00 »
This stuff goes waaaay back.  When I was a kid I got to see the original television runs of Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets for US) and Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers).  IIRC, they cut something like twenty episodes out of Gatch, and inserted a bastardized R2-D2 looking robot called 'Seven-Zark-Seven' as a moral compass for the show.  There was a lot of killing in both series, and it all got whacked.  Yamato had a robot with a panty fetish as well, so you can imagine what happened to that.

It *would* be rather interesting to see them try to work out just how to explain to kids watching Gatch how the villian was a mutant hermaphrodite who could change sex at will.

But no matter how much they hacked either series, both were above and beyond any of the crap they were shoveling out for kids from american studios.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2002-01-15 14:38:00 »
well sailor moon is understandable as when they transforme, in the original version, you can see area that would be called "lude" and "innapropriate" for little kids to view.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #20 on: 2002-01-15 16:14:00 »

On 2002-01-15 10:38, PurpleSmurf wrote:
well sailor moon is understandable as when they transforme, in the original version, you can see area that would be called "lude" and "innapropriate" for little kids to view.

That's by our puritain American standards though. In Japan and many other countries around the world, it's ok to see that kind of stuff. The rule in Japan is: It's ok so long as no pubic hair shows.

Basicly, no gentials, otherwise, it's ok.

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]