Author Topic: FF8: Concept of a new magic system  (Read 4004 times)

Albeoris

• View Profile
    • FFRTT
FF8: Concept of a new magic system
« on: 2020-01-07 15:16:32 »
Hey guys! :)

I am modifying the game engine. First of all, to translate the game into Russian. But I couldn't get past those aspects that I never liked in the game. One of them is magic. In the game you practically don't use magic, as this reduces your power. As a result, all battles take place on auto-attack. I want to return the magicians as a serious military unit.

Current plans:
  • Shared magic.
  • Magic is not wasted when using.
  • Its amount indicates the strength of the spell, the chance of effect.
  • No damage cap.
  • In battle, any spell can be casted N / 30 times (rounding down).
  • Mass spells - Ultima, Apocalypse, Meteor, cause damage to allies (Rinoa, Selphie, Edea have immunity).
  • From one monster, magic can only be drained once.
  • Draw points on the world map are disposable.

What do you think? I'm not sure that all this can be done before the release of OpenVIII (I'm changing the original Steam version), but so far everything seems pretty simple. If you have any tips, share your vision. There are also plans to revise the GF system, but about them another time.

Husbjörn

• View Profile
Re: FF8: Concept of a new magic system
« Reply #1 on: 2020-01-16 21:38:02 »
Sounds pretty good.
One thing I've been thinking about doing with regards to magic in FF8 is to limit the amount you can draw from enemies to say 50, draw points to 75 and then swap the decrementing counter on usage so that you'll get one more of each spell each time you use it, thus making it so that they in fact get stronger the more you use them and you have to actually use them to max out their potential.

Gensoul

• View Profile
Re: FF8: Concept of a new magic system
« Reply #2 on: 2020-01-17 22:14:32 »
Sounds pretty good.
One thing I've been thinking about doing with regards to magic in FF8 is to limit the amount you can draw from enemies to say 50, draw points to 75 and then swap the decrementing counter on usage so that you'll get one more of each spell each time you use it, thus making it so that they in fact get stronger the more you use them and you have to actually use them to max out their potential.

Ohh! I like that idea!

Or something like limit draws to 1 but increase +3 or +4 with each use. Is 33 casts or 25 casts fairer for mastery of each spell? I think this would work better by removing swapping magic between characters though, so each character has to work on their OWN magic. I've always hated drawing over and over. Actually USING magic to increase power seems more fun. I guess you'd even have to use magic to increase str/hp due to the magic junctioning system. ;)