Author Topic: (FF7 winxp related) Running out of ideas  (Read 2081 times)

mr.bridge

(FF7 winxp related) Running out of ideas
« on: 2003-12-11 20:50:59 »
Ok, I have hunted and searched on the forums and have been unable to come to a solution to my problem.

When opening the game, I am greeted by a black screen and then taken to the "New Game/Continue" screen, which is visually fine.  Selecting "New Game" greets me with a black screen and no more.

This sounds like a codec issue to me, but I haven't found the right codec I guess.  The videos will not play in WMP (I am using WMP9).  I have installed the latest codec package for the player and still nothing.

I was going to attempt to install Ficedula's cetra 0.2 patch (after I solved this problem) and unfortunately, the .exe asks for "Ficedula.dll" which I do not have.   --edit-- I didn't see the link on her page, durh.

I'm unsure where to go next, or which codec I need. I have managed to get it looking better (Cloud's sword at the new/continue screen) so it appears as though the other patches work for the most part.

If this is misposted in the wrong forum, my apologies.

Thanks in advance.

--edit--
I installed the following codec packages from microsoft (click) (all three)

I am running WinXP 2600 build (sp1)
Radeon 9000 (driver set 6368 www.s-seven.net)
Windows Media 9
P4 2.53, 512 ram

--edit--

Ok, it appears as though it did not like me trying to direct the movie path to my disk drive, as reinstalling made it "work" Now I have to solve that one, perhaps I put the path in the wrong place.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-11 21:04:38 »
Have you tried installing the upside-down movie patch?  It installs a codec that fixes many movie-related problems.  It sounds like you are getting a black screen when the movies are supposed to be playing.

The patch is here: http://support.eidosinteractive.com/GI/CustomerSupport/patches/PC/final_fantasy7/ff7betap1.exe

mr.bridge

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-11 21:21:41 »
I had not tried that patch previously, but I have just tried it and still the same problem.  I did try running it after a reboot also.

Here is a screen capture of the codecs I have currently installed.

I hate Geocities, but the trellix builder for earthlink is even worse.

Thanks again

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-11 23:12:17 »
when you link geocities, jsut add a ? to the end and it should work