Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 Cel-Shaded  (Read 7730 times)

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy 7 Cel-Shaded
« on: 2010-07-29 08:14:12 »
Holy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu30ntvrJGo&videos=yWAA2xP1P_8&playnext=2

Just saw this and it made me wonder... if all of Final Fantasy 7 was cel shaded then it would look sweet!

This may be something several people on here would be interested in doing so I just brought it up.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 7 Cel-Shaded
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-29 11:31:57 »
I think that Cloud is done by Slayersnext but he doesn't come here now(afaik). We could do that because we'll just have to edit the textures not the models(again afaik).

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-29 11:34:08 »
I guess you could develop a PC cel-shading driver. Easily? Now, that's another kettle of fish...

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-29 12:47:06 »
Wouldn't it be possible to use a shader with Aali's driver to get a similar effect ?

Some of the shaders available for Pete's OGL2 come pretty close if I recall correctly.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-29 16:50:05 »
Wouldn't it be possible to use a shader with Aali's driver to get a similar effect ?

Some of the shaders available for Pete's OGL2 come pretty close if I recall correctly.
Wouldn't they need modified to work right with Aali's driver? I thought that shaders couldn't be interchanged *THAT* easily between different software.

Team Avalanche should consider using a shader of some sort, although if they can't find one that works really well we'd be better with none.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-29 17:28:28 »

Wouldn't they need modified to work right with Aali's driver? I thought that shaders couldn't be interchanged *THAT* easily between different software.

Team Avalanche should consider using a shader of some sort, although if they can't find one that works really well we'd be better with none.

For what?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-29 22:22:14 »

For what?
To make the graphics *better*. I'm being vague on purpose, because I don't know what types of shaders would look good and what wouldn't. The trick is experimentation.

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-29 23:42:09 »
I actually considered cel shading a while back. It's pretty easy to do in 3ds, i just didnt have 3ds and still havent mastered blender enough lol.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for fun. It would actually make the game look a lot more recent haha.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-30 03:13:12 »

Yes they would but OGL2 was meant as an example and not as a useable shader.

Programming a shader is outside my scope of expertise but perhaps someone with the right talent could be enticed in doing so if there's demand for it.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-07-30 16:40:02 »
I used to play ff7 with a cel shader when i played it on ePSXe. I thought it worked rather well. being the Anime style this seems. Though realistic ones would be awesome. (AC style)

I'll get some SS of the cel shaded ePSXe when i get off work and post em up