Author Topic: [FF9PC] Background upscaling mod  (Read 49358 times)

Fraggoso

• View Profile
Re: [FF9PC] Background upscaling mod
« Reply #75 on: 2019-02-06 18:41:26 »
I'll show you that the pc alpha is way more of because of the resizing they did (weird algorithm or something like that).
You can't take the psx 1:1 of course but with some filtering they look way better and more organic than the pc.

I'll post a comparison later. :)

Edit:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/199MNNNU (Zoom in max and look over the masks)
Ingame it looks better because most of the Fields are also zoomed in.
Round objects have a rounder masks opposed to the tooth saw approach of the PC or blocky approach of the PSX masks.

I also uploaded a psd file. zoom in and you notice the difference.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4eflnt2hvhighg/mask%20difference.psd?dl=0

I've all the scripts ready, if you want to give them a shot (Gimp though).
« Last Edit: 2019-02-06 19:35:52 by Fraggoso »

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2019-07-05 23:08:54 »
Hi everybody,

Just want to let you know I'm currently redoing masks by hand. I developed a technique to be efficient, and after about 2 weeks (while working a full time job), I'm at 140 fields out of 667 (between Dali & Lindblum). I'm confident I will be able to work on this to completion.

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2019-07-11 20:46:50 »
Bets of luck on that one. Making masks by hand is crazy and that is what we're, right? ;)

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2019-07-20 13:06:24 »
Bets of luck on that one. Making masks by hand is crazy and that is what we're, right? ;)

So here's my advancement update: about a week ago, I managed to test everything ingame. I modified zePilot's script to be able to work quicker. He kindly sent me all the finished images to help me.
I realized I had a bunch of black zones due to a fact I did not foresee. I'll be more efficient in the future. I had to manually correct each background to correct that.
Now, everything up to Dali is finished completely.

I also improved most of the animations to avoid the border strangeness on them.

I fixed the images/animations of the windmill's upper floor in Dali, and a few others.

I'll come up with comparison shots soon.

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2019-07-29 08:36:47 »
I'm 28% done (190/678) (59 to go to finish the first CD, as it's the biggest)
For ref. I'm beginning Lindblum Castle.

I experimented a bit with worldmap texturing as well, walking on Fraggoso's steps.

Waifu2x:

Edit:ESRGAN:
« Last Edit: 2019-08-08 11:27:58 by snouz »

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2019-08-04 20:39:41 »
Update: I have finished Lindblum. 212/678

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2019-08-04 23:24:34 »
Quite excited to see the results snouz, keep it up!

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2019-08-07 10:42:57 »
Just wanted to share the level of detail I went for with the masks:

Ingame, it's MUCH nicer than before.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-07 10:47:13 by snouz »

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2019-08-07 12:51:12 »
Looks great Snouz, keep up the good work.

jembhus

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2019-09-02 08:43:05 »
I've been enjoying your works and completed the games on god knows how many times.
your work of art is the closest thing we have on FF IX remaster, and thank you very much for restoring my childhood
but what if i tell you there are archives of from the former FF IX development team spread on the internet.
please check https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-lost-art-of-final-fantasy-ix-mama-robotnik-research-thread.551612/
it's not complete but combined with your works it should be complements each other

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2019-09-02 19:49:00 »
I've been enjoying your works and completed the games on god knows how many times.
your work of art is the closest thing we have on FF IX remaster, and thank you very much for restoring my childhood
but what if i tell you there are archives of from the former FF IX development team spread on the internet.
please check https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-lost-art-of-final-fantasy-ix-mama-robotnik-research-thread.551612/
it's not complete but combined with your works it should be complements each other

Unfortunately, there are at least 3 good reasons no modder is getting close to these artworks, while being aware of them.
1) they're very much copyrighted, they are on the artist's portfolio, and taking material from other sources (like other FF games or original artwork) is pretty much forbidden
2) it's very mych incomplete (there are 816 background images in the game, about 28 here), and does not have the final light applied. This would compromise the visual unity
3) Most fields also have animation frames, surimposed stuff etc. A static image is not enough.

hush3r

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2020-05-06 02:16:46 »
Hello!

I'm so sorry if this is not the proper thread, and for the noob question. FF9 is my favorite game from childhood, and I replay it once every few years. I just discovered this modding, "re-mastering" effort and have not been so excited for something in a long time. As someone who doesn't know much about this stuff: how do I go from not having the game, to installing and modding and playing through with these re-done beautiful backgrounds?

I have a MacBook Pro, so I'm not sure if that affects my ability to be able to download the game. If so, and if the rest of the process is simple enough for a bozo like me to go through, I would be willing to go out and buy a PC just for this purpose.

Would love any insight or suggestions you may have.

Hope everyone is staying safe and sane out there in these strange and challenging times.

Warm regards,

-Justin

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2020-05-12 13:11:23 »
Hello!

I'm so sorry if this is not the proper thread, and for the noob question. FF9 is my favorite game from childhood, and I replay it once every few years. I just discovered this modding, "re-mastering" effort and have not been so excited for something in a long time. As someone who doesn't know much about this stuff: how do I go from not having the game, to installing and modding and playing through with these re-done beautiful backgrounds?

I have a MacBook Pro, so I'm not sure if that affects my ability to be able to download the game. If so, and if the rest of the process is simple enough for a bozo like me to go through, I would be willing to go out and buy a PC just for this purpose.

Would love any insight or suggestions you may have.

Hope everyone is staying safe and sane out there in these strange and challenging times.

Warm regards,

-Justin
Hi, you can install a double boot with Windows using integrated software bootcamp. Google is your friend for that.