Author Topic: FF7:Remake OST in FF7 PC proof of concept  (Read 9343 times)

Meteormancer

• View Profile
FF7:Remake OST in FF7 PC proof of concept
« on: 2020-05-09 21:12:29 »
Hello,

I took it upon myself to make some loopable ogg files of certain songs from the FF7 remake so that I could play FF7 PC with that music. I also want to play with New Threat mod so I installed that first so I could modify the files necessary to have the music play when I want to.

So far I have done the following oggs. I would upload them somewhere but I imagine that might not be allowed to post a link like that.

pre.ogg
oa.ogg
ob.ogg
bat.ogg
chu.ogg
makoro.ogg
fan2.ogg
over2.ogg

Basically the music played during "the demo." I used comical.ogg to insert a track that's not in the original: the sentinal scorpion battle music.

For the opening movie I had to basically edit the movie's audio track to insert the FF7:Remake version. I also had to cut that track to size so it sounds a little rough. If I had the audio track of both the opening movie with just the SFX and a track of the music WITHOUT the SFX, I could smooth it out.

Here is a proof of concept video. Sorry the bottom is cut off I can't use OBS properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKbyeyPSR10

I guess my number one question is can I expand the music list in Makou Reactor so I can add the "environmental battle music" that's present in FF7:Remake? Also, is comical.ogg the only unused ogg in the game that can be referenced?

Thank you for taking the time to check this out.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-09 21:49:27 by Meteormancer »

Fewtch

• All good things in time
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Re: FF7:Remake OST in FF7 PC proof of concept
« Reply #1 on: 2020-05-10 22:16:59 »
I too have wondered if extra tracks not in the original could be made to play during specific scenes. Can anyone chime in with what they know about this?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-05-11 01:31:28 »
You might check out the Ultrasound program, I think it's designed to allow extra audio scripting

Fewtch

• View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #3 on: 2020-05-11 05:05:35 »
The Reunion R06 (soon to be released R06f) allows up to 65535 sound effects and 255 musics. They can be added as easily as changing code in flevel with Makou for example.
But then you'd have to use The Reunion

Rcarlucci

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-05-11 14:51:32 »
The new music your putting into your game I think is awesome, did u not need permission to use it ?

Meteormancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-05-11 15:12:20 »
I looked into Ultrasound but it does appear to be a tool for adding SFX exclusively based on the code I saw on github.

The Reunion does sound more like what I’m interested in but I have to chose between that and New Threat. If I don’t find an alternate solution, I’ll probably end up using this.

My main goal is to do this within Makou Reactor, since it seems all I have to do is update whatever database it pulls the music IDs from and add more.

Or I have to develop a script to change music file names when certain “GameMoments” happen.

Meteormancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-05-11 15:30:26 »
The new music your putting into your game I think is awesome, did u not need permission to use it ?

Thanks, no I didn’t get permission since the music is floating around on YouTube I just used that so I could teach myself how to mod FF7. I probably wouldn’t be allowed to release these music files in public but I can at least share a video showing what it would sound like

Rcarlucci

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2020-05-11 16:08:20 »
ok thanks for the reply..im sure it sounds amamazing

Meteormancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2020-05-11 18:43:05 »
New Threat can work with The Reunion.

Oh! In that case I will wait for that and just focus on looping the tracks for now.

But if anyone knows a way to add to the music list in Makou Reactor, let me know!

EliR58

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2020-05-11 20:57:24 »
Glad to see a project like this starting up! I had hoped for something like this when I heard the remake's music. Unfortunately we'll have to wait quite some time before we have all the music! But excited to see how this shapes up in the meantime.

Fewtch

• View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #10 on: 2020-05-12 00:05:47 »
Here's an interesting thought: FF7 keeps track of field music playback in order to return you to the same sample after you're interrupted by a battle, instead of playing field music again from the beginning. I wonder if it would be possible to hook that same value in order to segue the field music into the battle versions of the track. You'll find when analyzing most of the Remake music that both the "field" and "battle" tracks are the same length so the game can switch between the two seamlessly.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-12 05:03:01 by Fewtch »

Meteormancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2020-05-13 01:15:07 »
I’ve looped all of the relevant tracks for the Midgar portion of the game except for Infiltrating Shinra, Trail of Blood, and Red XIII’s Theme. I also looped J-E-N-O-V-A.

I don’t think Barret’s Theme and Honeybee Inn Theme are in the remake outside of the jukebox???

Regardless I’ve replaced all instances (in flevel.lgp) of Barret’s Theme in Midgar with the Final Fantasy VII Main Theme, since that seems to be what the remake did. I’ve thought about doing the same for all the populated areas of Midgar sectors.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-13 01:17:17 by Meteormancer »

Fewtch

• View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #12 on: 2020-05-13 08:20:41 »
the field music doesn't play from beginning with Reunion - that bug was fixed a long time ago.
You misunderstood my meaning, I was not inferring that at all, quite the opposite. That being said, to your knowledge, could the game hook that playback position from field music and apply it to battle music?

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2020-05-16 09:12:53 »
Hello,

I took it upon myself to make some loopable ogg files of certain songs from the FF7 remake so that I could play FF7 PC with that music. I also want to play with New Threat mod so I installed that first so I could modify the files necessary to have the music play when I want to.

So far I have done the following oggs. I would upload them somewhere but I imagine that might not be allowed to post a link like that.

pre.ogg
oa.ogg
ob.ogg
bat.ogg
chu.ogg
makoro.ogg
fan2.ogg
over2.ogg

Basically the music played during "the demo." I used comical.ogg to insert a track that's not in the original: the sentinal scorpion battle music.

For the opening movie I had to basically edit the movie's audio track to insert the FF7:Remake version. I also had to cut that track to size so it sounds a little rough. If I had the audio track of both the opening movie with just the SFX and a track of the music WITHOUT the SFX, I could smooth it out.

Here is a proof of concept video. Sorry the bottom is cut off I can't use OBS properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKbyeyPSR10

I guess my number one question is can I expand the music list in Makou Reactor so I can add the "environmental battle music" that's present in FF7:Remake? Also, is comical.ogg the only unused ogg in the game that can be referenced?

Thank you for taking the time to check this out.

gained a subscriber. Perhaps you'd share your full list of identificated tracks here?

Rcarlucci

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2020-05-16 15:23:44 »
I requested permission to use the offical tracks in my mod, chances are not good but gave it a go anyway..will see what happens.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2020-05-21 11:50:09 »
I was talking more about a list of your findings!

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2020-06-30 09:05:55 »
Could you help me identify the "chosen by the planet" tracks? For the life of me, I can't find them.

Fewtch

• View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #17 on: 2020-06-30 11:01:36 »
Could you help me identify the "chosen by the planet" tracks? For the life of me, I can't find them.

There's one version during
Spoiler: show
Cloud's Nibelheim flashback in Sector 8
and one right after you
Spoiler: show
encounter Red XIII
The 2nd one is clearer.
Anyway, someone already put them in a mod, its been floating around. Google "Remusic" FF7

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2020-06-30 11:02:45 »
I'm sorry, I meant identify in the sense of which file of the extracted music! but thanks for the suggestion!

stellarscope

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2020-09-05 21:05:31 »
Hi --

I've been working on this myself.  I have 42 ogg replacements done.  Once it's done I can share it on here, if you guys want.  The remake covered a *lot* of the material from the original. 

However, there are pieces in which we didn't get a remake rendition.  For instance, "Shinra Army Wages A Full Scale Attack" is not present in any form on the remake.  What do you guys think the philosophy / approach to these cases should be?  What I've been doing so far is trying to see if there's a piece of music from Remake that kind of captures the same energy & is thematically appropriate in the case of missing pieces.  Since "Shinra Army Wages A Full Scale Attack" has no proper match I've instead used "Critical Shot," which also contains a variation on "Shinra, Inc."

Or, should the philosophy be instead -- when no proper match, leave the original piece in place?

Unwise Owl Tattoo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2020-12-02 11:08:40 »
There are a lot of great renditions of tracks that were not present in the remake through the FF7 fan community. I'm sure there could be a completely revamped soundtrack between the two.