Author Topic: Weapon skin change  (Read 27206 times)

MatrixOne

• View Profile
Weapon skin change
« on: 2013-06-29 11:11:27 »
Greatings

Im completely new to all this modding stuff and dont understand anything of programmers-speach.
So my question is if there is a way to make look all of Clouds weapons with exeption of his Ultima-weapon like Mike's Bustersword battleversion(with Golden hilt and black shiny blade)?
I would be glad if someone could explain me how to do it step by step, i have looked already in several topics in this forum but didnt understand much of it.
So for info, these are my current stats of what i use so far:
Windos 7, games path is C:\Programm(x68)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII, im using the 2012 release converted to old with bootleg.

So where i alwasy get lost is when someone is speaking of Lpg file converting and files like rtck and so on...
If there is any way of doing this in an easy way please tell me how.
In another topic i also read there was an AC weapon mod in work but the topic is no more active since 2011, are there any such mods(i suppose Kula wende AC mod includes this but due to its illegalness i wont serach for that)?
But as i wrote above making look all weapons like Mikes Bustersowrd would be already very cool to achieve.

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon skin change
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-29 15:45:55 »
You can do that. You do need to unpack your battle.lgp file and make some modifications tho. I'll edit this post with a step by step a little later. For now please make sure you have the ulgp utility downloaded.

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-29 16:33:44 »
You can do that. You do need to unpack your battle.lgp file and make some modifications tho. I'll edit this post with a step by step a little later. For now please make sure you have the ulgp utility downloaded.
is that the ulgpGUI_v0.7 ?
Thx already in advance for your upcoming post

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-29 18:06:31 »
is that the ulgpGUI_v0.7 ?

That is the correct lgp tool to use; I think the Graphic User Interface (GUI) is very convenient. The version of the uLGP GUI I use is .5

To make all of Cloud's weapon models appear in game as Mike's Buster sword, but use another model for his Ultima Weapon, you will need to make copies of the Buster model file and replace each one of the other sword models with that file, excluding the Ultima Weapon file. There are 16 total weapon models for Cloud. These models are found encoded within the game data file battle.lgp. Once battle.lgp has been decoded, Cloud's weapon files all have 4 letter names and they go in a sequence starting with rtck and ending with rtcz. We want to copy Mike's version of the rtck file (Buster sword) 14 times and rename it the next file in the sequence for each copy. Then, ending with rtcz (the Ultima Weapon model) use Mike's version of that file.

Here is a more detailed walkthrough:

Backing Up - battle.lgp is located in the game directory at something like this path: C:\Games\FF7\data\battle\battle.lgp. Make a copy of battle.lgp and place it in a non-system folder, like the C:\ directory. Rename the original file in the data\battle directory something like "battleBACKUP.lgp".

Unpacking the LGP - Create a new folder in a non-system directory like C:\BattleFiles. Using uLGP utility, unpack the battle.lgp file from the C:\ folder or wherever you put it.  The Dump button should be selected, enter the LGP path with the LGP... button and select battle.lgp from the C:\ directory. Then using the Folder... button select C:\BattleFiles and finally press Start to unpack all of the files from the collection (C:\battle.lgp) into your new BattleFiles folder. This takes a while. All of the weapon model files are now included individually in the BattleFiles folder, along with lots of other files. One of the weapon files you mentioned: rtck (that is the buster sword model that Cloud has at the beginning of the game).

Making the New Fileset - Create a new folder in a non-system directory like C:\CloudWeapons. Now, copy Mike's version of the file rtck to the CloudWeapons folder. Inside the CloudWeapons folder make another copy of rtck and paste it into the same folder. Don't overwrite the file, let it make a duplicate. It will have a weird name like "rtck - copy". Change the name of the file "rtck - copy" to "rtcl". Then paste another copy of rtck into the folder, it will again name the new file "rtck - copy". Rename it to the next 4 letters in the sequence, all beginning in rtc, so: "rtcm" is next. Continue this process over all the way until you have copied "rtck" into "rtcy". Now you should have 15 total files in your CloudWeapons folder, rtck through rtcy, and they should all be the exact same size.

The Last File - rtcz is the Ultima Weapon, if you have the one you want already, leave it out of CloudWeapons, if you hadn't installed it yet, you'll have to pick it out of the set of your choice. I use all Millenia's Cloud weapons personally, so if you needed that one you'd download her fileset (not the installer) and just pick out the one "rtcz" file from her set and move it to your CloudWeapons folder. For Mike's Ultima Weapon you'd do the same and simply place his version of "rtcz" into the CloudWeapons folder.

Replacing the LGP - Now that you have your CloudWeapons folder configured with the 15 or 16 files we've been copying, renaming, and plucking out, you need to copy all those files from within CloudWeapons and paste them into your BattleFiles folder. You will need to overwrite them all. Once you've overwritten the weapon files into your BattleFiles folder, use the uLGP utility again, make sure the Encode button is selected; now enter the path for the battle.lgp file we placed in our non-system directory like C:\ and enter the path to the BattleFiles folder. Finally hit Start to encode the battle.lgp file. The encoding process should be much faster than the decoding process. Now cut your newly encoded battle.lgp file from your C:\ directory and paste it into the game directory like so: C:\Games\FF7\data\battle\battle.lgp.

Cleanup and Uninstall - If you are satisfied with your results and do not wish to make further changes to your battle.lgp you can proceed to delete the BattleFiles folder as well as the CloudWeapons folder. To uninstall the mod for any reason you simply need to delete battle.lgp from your game's data/battle folder and rename the battleBACKUP.lgp file to battle.lgp.

Hope this is helpful to you. I've done this because it was a simple modification you wanted, but slight twist on file organization and seemed a reasonable request for clear instructions.     

Edit: In the interest of practicing how to write instructions carefully, I've rewritten a good bit of this tutorial. I know quite well no one will use it, it was the process of fixing my mistake that mattered to me.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-01 08:08:25 by Template »

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-29 18:55:05 »

*Here's the tedious part: you need to continue to copy paste and rename rtck(1) to the next file in an alphabetical series of 15 total files all beginning with rtc. That sounds like gibberish, but it will go like this: rtck, rtcl, rtcm, rtcn... etc. All the way to rtcy. That way all 15 files in your CloudWeapons folder will be the same file, but with 15 different names. Now copy and paste all of those 15 files from the CloudWeapons folder into your Battle folder, overwriting all the original 15.

So you mean i have to rename the copied files like rtck 1 into rtcl, rtck 2 into rtcm and so on, and then replace them renamed into the original FF7...\battle folder right?

And for the second part of my question , do you know where to find AC weapon modells that are legal, and if so are they introduced the same way i suppose?

« Last Edit: 2013-06-29 18:56:36 by MatrixOne »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-29 19:09:02 »
Ya, I think you pretty much got the idea. You are just copying rtck over and over and renaming it. That way even when you get a new Cloud weapon in game, it'll still appear as that buster sword model you like. Just don't forget about rtcz,  the Ultima Weapon.

The AC weapons I know nothing about. Almost always ripping models from other games and transferring them to ff7 is not legal, you can do it on your own game, but no one distributes mods like that publicly. Why that's a big deal I don't know, but I guess it is.

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-06-29 19:22:25 »
Ya, I think you pretty much got the idea. You are just copying rtck over and over and renaming it. That way even when you get a new Cloud weapon in game, it'll still appear as that buster sword model you like. Just don't forget about rtcz,  the Ultima Weapon.

The AC weapons I know nothing about. Almost always ripping models from other games and transferring them to ff7 is not legal, you can do it on your own game, but no one distributes mods like that publicly. Why that's a big deal I don't know, but I guess it is.

Im trying this out now, so theoretically spoken if i wanted to change all weapons to ultima weapon i would have to copy that rtcz file make 15 clones of that rename them all from rtck to rtcy and put them back, and this as long as im able to remind what texture i have on which weapon name i could swap them to the texture i want them to be..... very confusing :-o

edit: damn doesnt work, must have messed up while reincoding..
« Last Edit: 2013-06-29 19:36:36 by MatrixOne »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-06-29 20:07:54 »
Yes, you have the procedure correct I think. You just have to be sure which rtck you are copying is the one you want. Should be able to get it again if you lost it just by looking through Mike's files.

Was trying to see if I could put together a short tutorial that was well done... It is a complicated process I guess

If all else fails, try this set I put together for you, just unpack battle.lgp, put these files into the folder you dumped it to, overwrite the 16 files and reencode. should work...
« Last Edit: 2013-06-29 20:19:36 by Template »

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-06-29 20:48:43 »
ok have tried it several times,  i dont get what i do wrong but recode doesnt work not even running all programms as admin.

What odd is, is that dumping takes much longer then reencoding in matter of time, to be clear: the folder that i dump lpg from to the folder battle rest the same for reencoding just instead of pushing dump i select rencode an dpush start again(sounds pretty simple, but it doesnt affect the game)
« Last Edit: 2013-06-29 21:07:51 by MatrixOne »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-06-29 21:00:08 »
Eh? You should just turn UAC off all the way and then you don't need to run anything as admin.

This is what it would look like as I'm about to encode my battle.lgp file:

Then you would press the start button.

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-06-29 21:17:05 »
Eh? You should just turn UAC off all the way and then you don't need to run anything as admin.

This is what it would look like as I'm about to encode my battle.lgp file:

Then you would press the start button.

did now reencode from this folder instead of battle folder, but now game constantly crashes as soon as i enter a battle where i could check if the change worked... :(

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-06-29 21:26:58 »
/sigh

I really don't think I could have been much more detailed in my instructions. You need a new battle.lgp to work with. Probably now need to reinstall. I have tested the pack I uploaded and they will work fine... if the ulgp stuff goes correctly.

My fault entirely, I forget myself all the time, but you should always back up lgp files before modifying them. If you give this another go, just copy the original battle.lgp and rename it battlebackup.lgp. Then if something goes wrong, you can change the name back and you'll go back to normal install.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-29 21:29:39 by Template »

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-06-29 21:31:36 »
/sigh

I really don't think I could have been much more detailed in my instructions. You need a new battle.lgp to work with. Probably now need to reinstall. I have tested the pack I uploaded and they will work fine... if the ulgp stuff goes correctly.

You have been as clear as possible, i understood what you told me but somethings not gonna work as intended, im reinstalling game via bootleg now, maybe im to dumb for modding..

..Great after new install nothing works anymore.. i get rid of the game soon.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-29 21:42:48 by MatrixOne »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-06-29 22:16:35 »
You have been as clear as possible, i understood what you told me but somethings not gonna work as intended, im reinstalling game via bootleg now, maybe im to dumb for modding..

..Great after new install nothing works anymore.. i get rid of the game soon.

I think there's no way you're too dumb for modding. I messed up my install 15 million times. I messed it up earlier today and had to reinstall. I just feel bad I sometimes lead people down paths they wish they hadn't gone on.

For reinstalling bootleg, you really have to completely uninstall the game through windows and completely erase all the files from the game install directory.

Modding PC ff7 is occasionally a super frustrating (or delightful depending on what you are into) hobby.

Edit: /facepalm Kompass has taught me so much... below is just another in a series of important technical details Komp has alerted me to.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-30 03:29:59 by Template »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-06-30 03:09:33 »
Create a new folder on your desktop for convenience and name it Battle.
Don't use a System-Folder (and "Desktop" is inside one), if you want to manipulate Files.
I'm not sure what happens if UAC is turned off, but Win 7 will prevent Files for manipulations.

I also recommend to delete the old battle.lgp (or rename) before it is re-encoded.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-06-30 08:35:37 »
In the interest of practicing how to write instructions carefully, I've rewritten a good bit of this tutorial. I know quite well no one will use it, it was the process of fixing my mistake that mattered to me.

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-06-30 09:13:41 »
Thx for all your time, but as now im unable to get the game running again, ive got rid of anything what i had on pc from FF7 , then i got downloaded any reinstalling everything from 0 on, but game continues constantly crashing, first ist was as soon as i entered battle now i cant get even past the intro scene..

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013-06-30 09:17:39 »
Believe it or not, crashing at the intro is easier to solve than crashing when battle happens. If you would like to troubleshoot, I am certainly available. Can you post you APP.LOG file for me? I think we can get everything running again and you might feel a little better.

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-06-30 11:54:29 »
Believe it or not, crashing at the intro is easier to solve than crashing when battle happens. If you would like to troubleshoot, I am certainly available. Can you post you APP.LOG file for me? I think we can get everything running again and you might feel a little better.
If you tell me where to find that and how to do it will do it, but as i already said im not used to pc alot beside turn on, play and turn it off again.

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-06-30 11:57:57 »
Can you post me you bootloader setup pls for windows 7, might also there be a thing that causes problems?

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-06-30 12:24:50 »
I would but I think it's faster try a few other things first, shouldn't matter your setup in bootloader if you had things working before. First thing you should try is to reset your sound configuration. Open the ff7 directory and there's a utility program ff7config.

open it up and go to graphics tab, make sure it says self test passed and the drop down box is set to custom driver.

then go to sound tab, see if it needs to be changed to Speakers.

Can check midi tab too, should be only one choice on top and on bottom should be set to General MIDI

see if game runs now.

To post your APP file is easy, it's in the same directory with that ff7config program, the ff7 game directory. Just double click APP file, and copy the text from notepad into your reply  :D
OH boy, now were having fun MATRIX! You're doing great by the way, I didn't realize how new to computers you were. I think we can do this, though. The APP log file may help a lot. Let's see.

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2013-06-30 12:33:38 »
so here it is, well gladly you may understand what stands here , for me its like chinese :?
INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: ATI Technologies Inc. AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 4.2.12002 Compatibility Profile Context 9.12.0.0
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Using PBO
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 16384x16384
INFO: Number of texture units: 8
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1920x1080, output resolution 1920x1080, internal resolution 1920x1440
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
INFO: Shader limits: varying 128, vert uniform 16384, frag uniform 16384
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: FF7Music helper plugin loaded
INFO: Loading external library Kranmer.dll
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
set music volume: 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: C:\Games\FF7\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\eidoslogo.avi; indeo5/pcm_s16le 640x480, 30.000000 FPS, duration: 12.933333, frames: 388
INFO: slow output format from video codec indeo5; 6
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Field Quit
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 322
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Begin main battle loop
[BATTLE] End of current battle
[BATTLE] Begin end battle stuff
stop_sound
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_QUIT
[BATTLE] endof battle.
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_QUIT
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
cross play music: 0
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=4

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013-06-30 12:41:00 »
Dang, you have an even better video card than me  :P

Let me think on this a few minutes and get coffee. Thank you for your patience and letting me try to fix what I broke.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2013-06-30 12:48:13 »
so here it is, well gladly you may understand what stands here , for me its like chinese :?
Code: [Select]
INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: ATI Technologies Inc. AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 4.2.12002 Compatibility Profile Context 9.12.0.0
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Using PBO
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 16384x16384
INFO: Number of texture units: 8
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1920x1080, output resolution 1920x1080, internal resolution 1920x1440
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
INFO: Shader limits: varying 128, vert uniform 16384, frag uniform 16384
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: FF7Music helper plugin loaded
INFO: Loading external library Kranmer.dll
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: C:\Games\FF7\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\eidoslogo.avi; indeo5/pcm_s16le 640x480, 30.000000 FPS, duration: 12.933333, frames: 388
INFO: slow output format from video codec indeo5; 6
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Field Quit
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 322
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Begin main battle loop
[BATTLE] End of current battle
[BATTLE] Begin end battle stuff
stop_sound
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_QUIT
[BATTLE] endof battle.
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_QUIT
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
cross play music: 0
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=4

Disable PBO.
# use pixel buffer objects to speed up texture loading
# will probably crash horribly on ATI cards but should work for NVIDIA users
use_pbo = no

MatrixOne

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2013-06-30 13:00:29 »
Disable PBO.

whats that and where do i do this? ok found it you mean the one in bootlaoder, right?