Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1265631 times)

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #1850 on: 2013-07-29 05:53:33 »
Minor Question:

Will this be compatible with the 2012 'remake'? I use remake loosely.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: 2013-07-29 06:29:59 »
No, because there is no 'remake'.

The Reunion is a collection of 6 mods for Final Fantasy VII (1998 English).

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: 2013-07-29 07:04:46 »
The re release then. That added all them nifty features, that we really did not need. Such as achievements

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: 2013-07-29 11:26:49 »
The re release then. That added all them nifty features, that we really did not need. Such as achievements

Look at the first post.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: 2013-07-29 15:36:09 »
Call it what you will, the 2012 and Steam versions are still not the 1998 version. This only works with the original 1998 PC release; not the 2012 rerelease, not the Steam release, not the PlayStation version.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: 2013-07-30 20:35:44 »
A common mistake with fan translations is to start placing in silly levels of swearing because it can... and not because it enhances the dialogue.  Using harsher swear words sparingly actually makes their impact all the greater when they do get used.  The use of fuck for example will hit home in the one occasion it is used, and would have no effect at all if it had been plastered all over.  Just like HD graphics and cutscenes, the usage of swear words must come with responsibility and be used to enhance the existing material, not saturate it.

This is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for clearing that up.

It came to mind after looking up videos of the PSX version where I noticed Barret say "shi't" instead of $%&#

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: 2013-08-01 03:37:29 »
My program BoxFF7 is virtually complete, and so work has now begun to go through entire game positioning boxes and sorting the dialogue for the 3rd and final revision.  So far I am up to the Last Train.  It's going to be weeks before this is done most likely. The sheer volume of work is unbelievable, and tedious.  Without the program I made, it would be virtually impossible to sort the boxes.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #1857 on: 2013-08-01 04:33:05 »
My program BoxFF7 is virtually complete, and so work has now begun to go through entire game positioning boxes and sorting the dialogue for the 3rd and final revision.  So far I am up to the Last Train.  It's going to be weeks before this is done most likely. The sheer volume of work is unbelievable, and tedious.  Without the program I made, it would be virtually impossible to sort the boxes.

Oh, that's great to hear! I mean, that the program is almost done, not the work.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: 2013-08-01 04:49:39 »
It is done now :)  And released. Just gonna be the odd bug that crops up.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #1859 on: 2013-08-01 05:32:56 »
It is done now :)  And released. Just gonna be the odd bug that crops up.

Oh! You still gotta go through the re-positioning and revisioning though. Making the program actually went faster than I was expecting. XD

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: 2013-08-02 13:50:54 »
Let's have a comparison

Old
{VINCENT}
“{CID}…I wish I had your
   go-get-them attitude.”{NEW}
“It appears my feelings vanished
   into thin air ever since
   my long slumber….”
------------------------------
{VINCENT}
“…Don't expect me to do anything
   other than fight beside you.”{NEW}
“I have no words of comfort.”{NEW}
“Of course, I don't believe you're
   the type who needs the kindness
   from others…”

New
{VINCENT}
“{CID}… I envy your
  burning passion.”{NEW}
“My capacity for emotion melted
  away during the long slumber….”
------------------------------
{VINCENT}
“Do not expect anything
  from me outside of combat.”{NEW}
“I know no words of gratitude.”{NEW}[I will check if this is comfort too]
“But then,you do not look like
  one who relies on the kindness
  of others…”

jb6bigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: 2013-08-02 15:03:22 »
Hiya sorry i know this isnt the right thread but i needed to ask DLPB a question regarding the minigames. I've read your posts about the fixes but i can't get the coaster in the gold saucer to run slower, is there a patch? I couldn't find a link in the thread. If you can offer any help that would be amazing, thanks.  :)

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: 2013-08-02 15:11:04 »
DLPB, keep doing what you're doing. I got this. The minigame fixes are affected by the FPS limiter values that aali's driver imposes. I have not tested it but I think YAMP provides a way around this. The issue has been completely addressed in a new version of aali's driver, but it's not out yet and who knows, it's a very sensitive issue considering SE appears to be interested in making money off FF7 again. 

My suggestion: check out this "oldie but goodie" thread for Yet Another MultiPatcher, the FPS fix is the first one that comes up, and the FPS patch has customizable variants for the FPS in different minigames. This stuff still works great.
Here's what I put for my framrates in the MGP text patch configuration.
Code: [Select]
@echo off

rem |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|
rem |-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- MiniGamesPatch =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
rem |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= a.k.a =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|
rem |-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= MGP =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
rem |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= by dziugo =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|
rem |-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= [email protected] -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
rem |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|

rem ====================================================================================================
rem ================================== Configure these if you need to ==================================
rem ====================================================================================================

rem =============================== Framerate of The Snowboard Mini Game ===============================
set snowboard_speed=60

rem ================================ Framerate of The Highway Mini Game ================================
set highway_speed=30

rem ============================= Framerate of The RollerCoaster Mini Game =============================
set rollercoaster_speed=30

rem =============================== Framerate of The Battle Swirl Effect ===============================
set battleswirl_speed=60

rem ==================  Don't touch anything below unless you know what you're doing!! =================

echo %1 -patch %2 -in %3 -out %4 -fulldebug 1 -nopause -bswirl %battleswirl_speed% -snowboard %snowboard_speed% -highway %highway_speed% -rcoaster %rollercoaster_speed%
Obviously, you'll also have to turn off the minigame limiters in aali's driver.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-02 15:15:24 by Template »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: 2013-08-02 15:24:06 »
Hiya sorry i know this isnt the right thread but i needed to ask DLPB a question regarding the minigames. I've read your posts about the fixes but i can't get the coaster in the gold saucer to run slower, is there a patch? I couldn't find a link in the thread. If you can offer any help that would be amazing, thanks.  :)

The alternate way to getting it to work properly to above is to set your monitor refresh rate to 60hz and play the game without aali limiter (and prob without vsync option). This will solve coaster and snowboard but wont work with g-bike.  You also need to be using the aimer fix for coaster which I think comes with the MO installer.

jb6bigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: 2013-08-02 15:35:41 »
Wow thanks so much, that actually worked even though i didn't mess around with any settings :) I'm very happy now!

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: 2013-08-02 15:49:40 »
And here's where I officially got sucked into hex editing........... Thanks Dan! [grumble grumble]  :-D

HxD--after spur of the moment decision to plunge into the ff7.exe file I ended up downloading this freeware hex editor... I'm sure there are better examples but this is OT so, make a new thread if you want to further this discussion.

Rollercoaster aimer issue: FIXED (added to Aali's next driver)

info:  Aimer was not moving at correct speed.
Code: [Select]
Solution:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36889302/FF7/CoasterAimerFix.exe
Change following exe values:
001ed679 = 05
001ed69a = 05
001ed6bd = 05
001ed6e0 = 05
All these values were already changed, but I had not installed this fix through MO, just YAMP MPG. Did Dziugo fix this along with the FPS of the minigame itself? Fascinating... I'm happy to stumble on a new hobby but I'm going to try to forget this ever happened.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-02 17:12:39 by Template »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: 2013-08-02 22:22:51 »
It is possible he saw the documentation I wrote on here and added the changes, but he is one of (if not THE) the most competent assembly coders around here (far better than me), and so I wouldn't put it past him to have realised those changes before me.

piccolo113

• View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: 2013-08-04 05:24:19 »
Call it what you will, the 2012 and Steam versions are still not the 1998 version. This only works with the original 1998 PC release; not the 2012 rerelease, not the Steam release, not the PlayStation version.

That's not true at all, though. Bootleg converts the game's files to a compatible form and therefore the mods ARE compatible with all versions. You just have to follow the necessary steps first.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: 2013-08-04 06:18:09 »
But you are literally making your game exactly the '98 version, so it is only compatible with that version.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: 2013-08-04 11:06:34 »
I think GameConverter actually uses the files from the new version, whichever it is, and just splices in the old exe. Something like that. Like the newer flevels have a few things fixed that I have noticed and probably some things I haven't seen. But then bootleg uses the old ones and overwrites them so people don't notice.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-04 11:51:50 by Template »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: 2013-08-04 14:01:00 »
That's not true at all, though. Bootleg converts the game's files to a compatible form and therefore the mods ARE compatible with all versions. You just have to follow the necessary steps first.
It doesn't so much convert it as it replaces entire files. After you run bootleg on the Steam version, it literally is not the Steam version anymore; the exe, the main program, is replaced with the exe from the 1998 version.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: 2013-08-04 14:16:20 »
It doesn't so much convert it as it replaces entire files. After you run bootleg on the Steam version, it literally is not the Steam version anymore; the exe, the main program, is replaced with the exe from the 1998 version.

True, and that's no bad thing really.  The FMVs are left alone.   In time, the 2012 flevel will prob be left too... but for now ts doesnt support it :(  As for the original premise, Covarr et all are right..  this does not support 2012/2013 out or the box without conversion, so it does not support it.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-04 14:18:01 by DLPB »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #1872 on: 2013-08-05 18:34:16 »
True, and that's no bad thing really.  The FMVs are left alone.   In time, the 2012 flevel will prob be left too... but for now ts doesnt support it :(  As for the original premise, Covarr et all are right..  this does not support 2012/2013 out or the box without conversion, so it does not support it.

On those notes though, its probably cheaper to get those versions, so if you used the trick that basically turns everything into the '98 version, you could probably save money. Getting a copy of the '98 PC game wasn't cheap on my end, so its worth a thought.

Although if I'm understanding Dan right there will be some hiccups and I think support will only be provided for the actual '98 game and only if its not pirated?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: 2013-08-05 18:41:11 »
No, a converted game is no different than the original when it comes to mod compatibility.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: 2013-08-05 19:17:20 »
There definitely were some hiccups with STEAM FF7 conversion because they did a couple tricky things with the file system to keep the download small. The author of GameConverter, Kompass63, was forced to adapt his utility without a copy of the STEAM version to test with. It was not clearly understood early on how to change languages in STEAM etc etc. There are valid reasons why it took time to work these things out.

GameConverter handles STEAM ff7 like a champ now.

The original new-to-old patch (which is what bootleg40 uses) works perfectly fine on the 2012 version.

Sorry for continuing off-topic but to tie it all together: MenuOverhaul as it is and as it will be in the future is only compatible if you use one of those 2 conversion processes with your 2012 or STEAM FFVII. Use GameConverter immediately after installing base ff7 is my advice, it installs DLPB's hext for you (which will be part of the future of mod injection), the code smells newer, and it may solve some esoteric problem with language compatibility that no one understands completely.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-05 19:20:05 by Template »