Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1265555 times)

luksy

• View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #2100 on: 2013-09-27 01:27:03 »
Eidolon? Maybe a bit confusing seeing as it's used in other ffs, but the idea is that these "copies" should have a proper name.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: 2013-09-27 01:34:50 »
Eidolon? Maybe a bit confusing seeing as it's used in other ffs, but the idea is that these "copies" should have a proper name.

Yeah this is the real issue isn't it.  We are using 2 words when the writers should have made 1 name for them.  The only thing I can think of that works is "Sephiroth-model".    Are there any other good 1 word names we can give to a process whereby a method is copied, and then name it as such?  In this case, Sephiroth is the subject, he is the project.  Perhaps "Sephiron" hahaha.  :evil: :o  I don't know....

See the issue is also that we will be inventing a word that was not in the original literature... is that a step too far?

They should have gone with Sephiron.  Poor fools.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-27 01:38:05 by DLPB »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #2102 on: 2013-09-27 01:55:58 »
Eidolon is a Greek word. It means the "reflection of itself". Clone is another suitable word, but I'm not sure as about one word characterization is concerned.

P.S.: You are right... not exactly a clone since is a reproduction from Jenova's cells.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-27 01:59:13 by LeonhartGR »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: 2013-09-27 01:56:56 »
Clone is not a suitable word, for the reasons listed on the other posts.  :-o

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2104 on: 2013-09-27 02:01:51 »
Eidolon would be WAY too confusing in my opinion, what with XIII and all.

I actually kind of like the model thing, it has a really dehumanizing feel to it. I'd go with model or project depending on each specific context. And both could be used in capital as Model or Project when you need to give it a proper name. Again, Model seems to really go well with that. Giving that most of them have numbers, you'd have an implied Model 2Model #2/Model No. 2 type feel. And you could capitalize it on the same basis as you do with soldier vs Soldier so people know you're being specific.

Of course you could always hit up the thesaurus. I'd advise against replica, but that's total bias as a Tales of the Abyss fan. Facsimile is nice and fancy sounding, as well, and also implies an imperfection in relation to the original.

My main votes would be Model or Facsimile. I mainly would like to avoid made-up words though.

PS - I'm pretty sure in Tales of the Abyss even the Japanese used replica (in katakana), so it's possible if that's what was intended they would have probably used it? It's two very different companies though so it may just be a difference in writers.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-27 02:09:56 by mugenginga »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: 2013-09-27 02:09:07 »
Yeah I also think Model is really the only way around this... and I went all medieval on the thesaurus' ass.  Replica can't work because again that is not what these things are...
« Last Edit: 2013-09-27 02:11:40 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: 2013-09-27 03:22:37 »
I said it before, I really think facsimile works well for this.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #2107 on: 2013-09-27 11:28:29 »
...facsimile...

I used google to look for what that means... lol

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: 2013-09-27 12:07:20 »
"Sephiroth-type process"? Still a bit too verbose, perhaps. But I feel like there's nothing innately 'Sephiroth' about what they achieved, at least from Hojo's perspective, except that Sephiroth represents a successful completion of the process (he's an exemplar of what they're trying to achieve). Although actually, isn't Hojo trying to reproduce the results more than the process? (what with Sephiroth being injected while still in the womb, IIRC) I guess you could call it "Sephiroth-model" in the sense that what Hojo is trying with the other subjects was 'modeled' on the way Sephiroth turned out. But when I see the word 'model' I still think of a type of machine or action figure that they copied. The words 'reproduction' and 'emulation' also come to mind for what we're trying to describe, but I'm not sure those are any better. I guess they're trying to achieve a "Sephiroth-type fusion" or "Sephiroth-like fusion" in the sense that they're trying to produce soldiers who can innately control Jenova's cells, rather than being controlled by them.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: 2013-09-27 13:32:48 »
Maybe we should use in this case Crisis Core as a template and call them 'subject/specimen of Project S.'.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: 2013-09-27 13:35:28 »
I won't use anything from the other games. FF7 is a standalone game and must remain so as it was intended.  :)

The original game made a huge clanger with Sephiroth-Copy.  They should have come up with a project name and then explained what that project was.  Instead, here we are.  :P
« Last Edit: 2013-09-27 13:42:10 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: 2013-09-27 13:57:50 »
The experiments were an attempt to create a "super soldier" who had the powers of Sephiroth, right?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: 2013-09-27 14:06:11 »
I'm not sure that was all...  Hojo seems to be happy that the Reunion happened too. But yeah I think the idea is they wanted to create super soldiers.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-27 14:36:00 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: 2013-09-27 14:47:21 »
Another one I've tried to capture the meaning of.  Slight deviations from original.

Old
Code: [Select]
Rufus
“I heard Sephiroth was on board.”
------------------------------
Heidegger
“…Yes.”
Rufus
“And it seems {CLOUD}
and the others were on board, too.”
Rufus
“They all slipped through…
You messed up big this time, Heidegger.”
Heidegger
“I'm ashamed of myself.”
Rufus
“Is that all you can do?”{NEW}
“Give one word answers
and apologize for everything?”
Rufus
“Do something.
I'll be expecting results.”
“Ready for departure, sir!!”
New
Rufus
“I hear Sephiroth was on board?”
Heidegger
“…Yes.”
Rufus
“And it seems {CLOUD}
  and the others were
  on board as well?”
Rufus
“You let them all slip through.
  You messed up big time,Heidegger.”
Heidegger
“Sorry.
  I'm… ashamed of myself.”
Rufus
“I'm tired of hearing your apologies.”
Rufus
“You better start doing something.
“Skiff preparations
  are complete,sir!!”

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: 2013-09-27 14:57:43 »
Yikes. The original doesn't even make sense... "One word answers"???

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: 2013-09-27 15:57:03 »
It's not as easy as it seems... a lot of the time you have to keep going back and saying "Does this line make sense coming after that one".  In actual daily speech, you probably say things like this all the time without realising it doesn't work, but in script it's there for good. I didn't realise this didn't make much sense until very recently.  So took it to Luksy and he gave a more accurate translation.  Then I localised from that. But there are so many things you just take for granted... it's very easy to make these types of mistake here and there.

But that's another reason we needed a retranslation.  To iron these out... to correct issues obviously caused by a rush job.  Somewhere out there, is the true story to how VII was made.  Sadly, unlike a nice new DVD, we don't get any behind the scene interviews or anything.  We are kind of stuck as to how much we know about the process, and where it went wrong.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: 2013-09-27 17:54:55 »
Rufus
“You better start doing something.
Should probably be "You'd better". Rufus is smart enough to use correct grammar here.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: 2013-09-27 18:06:37 »
Corrected.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2118 on: 2013-09-27 23:50:45 »
Is skiff referring to lifeboats or something? Because I seem to remember the boat in question being a little large to call a skiff. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong boat.

Unless British-English uses the word skiff differently, I honestly just plugged it into Google and if you'll forgive my use of Wikipedia it basically defines them as, "A skiff is a small boat. There are a number of different craft which are called skiffs. Traditionally these are coastal or river craft used for leisure or fishing and have a one-person or small crew."

PS - You have officially taught me a new vocabulary word though, so awesome! :D

« Last Edit: 2013-09-27 23:53:46 by mugenginga »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: 2013-09-28 00:26:06 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skiff

A skiff is a small boat.  or other craft.

The game really does say skiff. So if it's wrong, it's also wrong in Japanese game.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2120 on: 2013-09-28 13:50:10 »
While an error is possible, it's probably more likely that it's another one of those words the Japanese misuse. XD If it's in the original Japanese, though, it's all good!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: 2013-09-28 14:20:18 »
ahh it isn't a boat in game.  The game uses word "skiff" for certain helicopters. I guess this is totally wrong and needs amending.  Unless the helicopters in FF7 are actually called "skiff" as in their type. Then it would be a name.  There are 2 places that the helicopter is referred to as a skiff.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-28 14:21:57 by DLPB »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2122 on: 2013-09-28 14:55:44 »
Huh. I wonder if the Japanese refer to some helicopters as skiffs? The name thing is totally possible to.  I guess you have another question for Luksy. XD

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: 2013-09-28 16:05:48 »
Never heard of skiff :o im sure no one even uses that word

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #2124 on: 2013-09-28 17:13:56 »
skiff [skif]
noun
any of various types of boats small enough for sailing or rowing by one person.
  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skiff?s=t

It definitely means boat, but it was probably a mistake in the Japanese version. Ship maybe more appropriate. It was probably a mistake when used to describe the helicopters too, that would just be confusing.