Author Topic: British government to start using Macs: Windows too expensive, Linux insecure  (Read 25002 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
After the dark days of Labour spending £5billion per year on IT (to sound sexy), the Conservative government has decided to review IT policy with the hope of lowering costs. Their IT chief says that the government could save money by not using Windows and going open source. However, he has also expressed concerns that "open source" software might be more easily "hacked" than Microsoft's products, and has said that the government should use more Apple products, which he uses at home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12905303

Better get rid of all my open source software; it might get hacked!

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

yea my linux boxes get hacked all the time.. ::)

i think we all know how i feel about OSes by now.. so no need to reiterate.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
The concern is that with the source readily available, new exploits would be easier to find. In practice, this is not really an issue, but it's also not an entirely illogical conclusion.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
The concern is that with the source readily available, new exploits would be easier to find. In practice, this is not really an issue, but it's also not an entirely illogical conclusion.

It is, however, a conclusion that betrays a deep lack of knowledge. Anyone can see that open source software is generally more secure than proprietary stuff. But then, our government still uses IE6, so maybe they disagree.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Windows is more expensive then mac? Windows is more secure then linux or mac? Bah, i want some of what he is smoking.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
No computer or OS is totally secure.  The mac fanboys should give it a rest :P  If someone is a capable hacker or software writer, they can find ways to hack or to create a problem.  It doesn't help when you have a government who leave unencrypted laptops lying about (yeah it was labour, but they are all as bad).

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Windows is more expensive then mac? Windows is more secure then linux or mac? Bah, i want some of what he is smoking.

He used to work for Tony Blair. Go figure. Also,

more...then

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hah, just stating facts.

From cheapest to most expensive: Linux (OS is free, same hardware as windows), Windows, Mac (Same hardware as windows PC but large markup, plus i doubt a government is going to start using hackintosh's)

Most secure: Very debatable position, none are really all that secure, Windows is just hacked more because the majority of people use it. Linux and OSX are more secure in the fact that most malware/virii are written for windows.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Hah, just stating facts.

From cheapest to most expensive: Linux (OS is free, same hardware as windows), Windows, Mac (Same hardware as windows PC but large markup, plus i doubt a government is going to start using hackintosh's)

Most secure: Very debatable position, none are really all that secure, Windows is just hacked more because the majority of people use it. Linux and OSX are more secure in the fact that most malware/virii are written for windows.

You misunderstand. I was referring to your use of "then" in a comparative clause.

Also, Linux is not always the cheapest. Total cost of ownership.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ah. Yes. Well continue than.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
Ah. Yes. Well continue than.

In this case dude, i believe it would be then.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I was trying to be humorous.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
I was trying to be humorous.
If your trying to be humerous than you should really make it more obvious.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
honestly I think the italic was pretty obvious
at least i got it  :evil:

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
If your trying to be humerous than you should really make it more obvious.

It should always be obvious when people are trying to be a bone in the upper arm.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
As someone whose organization sells software to the public sector, this stuff really doesn't surprise me, unfortunately.

That said, I *am* surprised that they'd go for something as rigid as the Apple platform. If there's one thing Local Authorities like to whinge about, it's software not being completely re-written from scratch for their specific purposes. If it isn't completely bespoke, they'll stonewall you, insisting you've no appreciation of their needs (translation: you are threatening us, and saying you don't understand is the easiest way we can mark you as Alien), before throwing away 3x your bill on flinty-eyed Capgemini types who were only ever going to stick a new shell on an existing product anyway...

le sigh

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
I hate our government. If they pick Apple, I'll hate them even more.

hath80

Sorry about that everyone!  Disregard my blatant spamming of your forums, turns out what I was advertising is complete shit anyways.  In fact you should probably boycott my product if possible.  kthxbai
« Last Edit: 2011-03-31 13:47:58 by obesebear »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
There's a report post button for a reason.

I've reported both posts anyway.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
As someone whose organization sells software to the public sector, this stuff really doesn't surprise me, unfortunately.

That said, I *am* surprised that they'd go for something as rigid as the Apple platform. If there's one thing Local Authorities like to whinge about, it's software not being completely re-written from scratch for their specific purposes. If it isn't completely bespoke, they'll stonewall you, insisting you've no appreciation of their needs (translation: you are threatening us, and saying you don't understand is the easiest way we can mark you as Alien), before throwing away 3x your bill on flinty-eyed Capgemini types who were only ever going to stick a new shell on an existing product anyway...

le sigh

Maybe the government wants some bespoke software made by Apple? This will cost £9001million and will just werk.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-03-31 21:34:53 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 11:27:03 by Jenova's Witness »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I use Linux Mint, which is basically Linux for kids and grandmas

You hear that, Bosola-kun? ;D

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-03-31 23:35:15 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 11:26:46 by Jenova's Witness »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
I would be using Ubuntu Studio but I made the mistake of purchasing a very obscure graphics card with no Linux drivers for it, so technically I can run it in a tiny little box on my 1080p monitor but I am good on that. As for Mac being more secure than Linux, it varies depending on the context your speaking in. If your speaking generally, then hell no, the less popular your operating system, in this context, the better, for obvious reasons. Now as far as if their was an organized attack on a specific organization using Linux. Its still pretty up in the air because with Linux you can build your own OS so, theoretically, with a super legit IT squad, you could program an OS that's a million times more secure than either Mac or Windows. Either way Linux is usually always the clear winner in more aspects than just security, I just think some governments are becoming too obsessed with spending money that they never had to waste, to realize this simple truth.

also Jenova's Witness I tried to PM you but it doesn't look like your avatar is showing up. Of course maybe this is just me  ;D

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
You hear that, Bosola-kun? ;D

MINT IS A LEGITIMATE GNU/LINUX DISTRIBUTION!  >:(